England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Yes.

He went for an 09 plate 3.6 Vogue.

Jim

Post #570311 Sun Dec 02 2018 7:25pm
jim4244

I take my hat off to him.

He test drove one 09 plate RRS and didn’t like it.

Then he test drove one 09 Full Fat. Liked it. Put a deposit straight down, and collects it on Wednesday.

No Censored about looking at other cars. No real research on problems associated with Land Rover vehicles. No making a list of suitable vehicles. Just drive it. Like it. Buy it!

Makes me feel like I’m a bit of a dithering old sod..........🤔

Jim

Last edited by jim4244 on Sun Dec 02 2018 8:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #570312 Sun Dec 02 2018 7:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Jim you missed out two words from yourself description - cautious and educated............ you know about the issues, so many people don’t and when the ask they only see the first car that takes their fancy without stopping to think about potential problems.
I’ve been off-roading today and caught up with a member of the club who took time out at the last event to ask my opinion on a 2010MY Vogue SE 3.6, one of the last ones. It had a mountain if service history reports so I told what to check for and what will cost to fix approx. Today I ask if he bought the car - yes got it home and he thought a brake was binding, during the week it was put on the ramp and ££££££’S needed to be spent on it - the transfer case isn’t working, 4 new hubs needed....
I had suggested he held back and asked on FUllFatRR but no he didn’t, he felt atthe price he couldn’t let the car go..........
Now it’s stung him! This is a guy who has owned Disco2’s and Defenders before, never a “modern” model. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #570313 Sun Dec 02 2018 7:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buster007

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

^^ Oh NO! You're not alone there Jim.. Thumbs Up ^^^
I've been looking for a nice 2013 'Black Edition RRS' for a while now. I've been around the world and back looking, kicking tyres talking to dealer and researching. TBH I've driven myself mad. I did test drive a V8 FF Vogue as well which I absolutely loved but SWMBO at all times! wouldn't even go look at it because it was far too big.. Big Cry !

Right thats it I'm buying the next one that I go to see.... Laughing Cheers Laurence.

Post #570314 Sun Dec 02 2018 7:46pm
jim4244

Hi Tim

Well, I was always taught to be cautious.....

The last couple of months I have been looking for a “good” 2012 L322 run out Westminster to replace my L494.

Why? I hear you ask. Well the logic for this is as follows.

1/ My current L494 is due to be replaced next year before the 3 year manufactures warranty runs out. I don’t want to buy a new one with the now many faults that affect the model.
2/ I looked at replacing it with a D5 but they are experiencing more issues than we are with our Sports! So have discounted this option.
3/ if I picked up a nice Westie I could run it for a couple of years during which time the new Defender would have been released and JLR hopefully solved many of the issues across the LR range.
4/ in 2 years electric vehicles will have become more mainstream and the associated technology will have moved on and be more advanced.

So, with the above in mind I have looked a 5 Full Fat Westie’s, all 2012 models and all under 80,000 miles. In turn I have walked away from all 5 due to poor condition, missing service history, mixtures of unknown tyres on the axles (always a good sign that the car has not been cared for) and just not as described in the adverts.

Land Rover ownership without the benefit of a manufacturers warranty is a mine field that can very easily catch folk out. This is more likely to happen when you buy using your heart rather than your head.

Jim

Post #570315 Sun Dec 02 2018 8:03pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Why do you think I invested in a new Countryman in June instead if a new Sport. I didn’t like the new price of a replacement HSE D and there was no petrol version available, I didn’t want to keep my perfectly good 23,000 mile 3 year old S~dv6 HSE D purely because there was no reassurance from LR. Then there was the dealers......... one didn’t want to sell a private buyer a PHEV because “ they only a tax dodge for business people and there is no advantage to buying one privately” but he was very keen that I should have a new Velar at a discoutnted price or a D5........... I said I wanted a car with full offroad ability and Velar has no low range gearbox....... i’m single, 99% of my driving is done solo, I didn’t want a D5 but could have been persuaded if they could match the 4 day test drive that Mini had offered on a Countryman PHEV - no way sir an afternoon is the most we could let you have our demo car........ and then finance rates - least said the better, 6.9% against 1.9% and then when I took delivery 0% was offered when JLR were inflexible on 6.9%. The price of the Mini........ £31,500 minus £2500 from the Govt for buying a low emissions vehicle, cheapest RRS PHEV with options to my needs £82,000. Delivery time on the RRS, “well we don;t know yet as they haven’t yet been approved” - Countryman, 3 months after placing the order (which due to a cock up by BMW ended up as almost 7 months BUT they gave me some very generous discount in compensation which wasn’t normally available on the PHEV and they paid the 5 years luxury tax because a price rise had taken the price of my car OTR over the £40k threshold. what wasn’t to like about that! I wasn’t even going to need to take the finance as I had the cash available to pay it off outright but 0% APR finance means I can use my money for other things and because it’s a PCP deal I get r years servicing and 3 MOTs for free! On Friday I passed the BMW/Mini dealership in town and see that they are now offering 0% on new X5’s with 2 weeks delivery, I was in the LR showroom and they still want 6.9% APR........
Last Wednesday I decided to go to my nearest LR dealership, who I have bought 5 cars from previously before shifting to Lookers West London in 2007, and put a deposit on the next generation Defender. It will be interesting to see what LR offers as incentives to change that deposit into an order. I appreciate that the Countryman has next to no offroad ability despite what Mini’s ads show on the telly but I still have my old faithful Defender to play offroad with! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sun Dec 02 2018 9:32pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #570321 Sun Dec 02 2018 9:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

jim4244 wrote:
I take my hat off to him.

He test drove one 09 plate RRS and didn’t like it.

Then he test drove one 09 Full Fat. Liked it. Put a deposit straight down, and collects it on Wednesday.

No Censored about looking at other cars. No real research on problems associated with Land Rover vehicles. No making a list of suitable vehicles. Just drive it. Like it. Buy it!

Makes me feel like I’m a bit of a dithering old sod..........🤔

Jim

Bought mine without having driven/seen it based on price/condition etc - been a happy bunny with it ever since

Post #570323 Sun Dec 02 2018 9:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12