RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L 494 Oil dilation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>

Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

I ditched LR 12 months ago and bought a RX450h F Sport with premier pack.

Never regretted it for a moment and have managed 36mpg over 10,000miles. The drone from the CV box when accelerating hard was the only drawback but you do get use to it.

Post #568641 Fri Nov 09 2018 8:46pm
Chips

England 

Distance to service hit zero today just over 5 months and 8k miles since it was serviced , so I have drawn a sample of oil off and will send it off for analysis tomorrow , results take 3-4 days they say so as the say watch this space ! MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #568917 Tue Nov 13 2018 11:48pm
Chips

England 

The Lab rung to give me a heads up on the results , waiting on an email to give all the results but basically oil dilution is about 10% and there are traces of iron and Aluminium in the oil above desired levels but not crazy high so as to say engine failure imminent MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #569250 Mon Nov 19 2018 8:03pm
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

Called in at my dealer last week and they said If the early service light comes on they onsite test the oil !!!!!! And if it over 10% they Change the oil but at 10% they reset the computer ????? What do you all think about this Whistle

Post #569252 Mon Nov 19 2018 8:16pm
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Who do you guys use to test the oil as I would like to test mine ?

I live in Norwich.

Cheers.

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #569255 Mon Nov 19 2018 9:19pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

On topic of DPF generated issues, and resulting consequences on the engine, engine oil dilution and drive system failure I found this instructional video from Landrover in the U.S that covers the early model L494's to MY15 I believe. In my MY16 I just got the 6.1% triggered "Service Due" message above a spanner and the need for an oil change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRyBZfJnvc

How you are meant to follow those guidelines if you are City bound I don't know.. a buddy of mine had to drive to Crawley and back from South London on a weekly basis on the M23 to get up enough constant speed to "clear" the DPF that was clogging at a regular rate. He's exiting the brand soon too..

btw I recently cancelled my LR extended warranty as I switch cars, there are a few days of the RRS not being covered and the warranty company asked if it was wise that I have a period of uncovered RRS ownership "just in case the engine failed"... good to see they had faith too..... Big Cry P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #569263 Mon Nov 19 2018 11:25pm
IRBails

Australia 

Been-and-dunit wrote:
Called in at my dealer last week and they said If the early service light comes on they onsite test the oil !!!!!! And if it over 10% they Change the oil but at 10% they reset the computer ????? What do you all think about this Whistle

It is BullSh!t , more than 6% is bad. Plenty of info if you google. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #569278 Tue Nov 20 2018 10:08am
wilf

In my experience Dealers do NOT do a proper quantitative oil analysis - they simply interrogate the ECU to see what the algorithm tells them the oil dilution figure is. i.e. it is a calculated figure.

I was told my oil was "OK" by the Dealer after the third premature oil service light, and yet my own, proper, (Millers oils) analysis showed 8% dilution, a figure Millers considered dangerous.

I had a significant argument with the supplying Dealer after that, the gist of which I will not repeat here, but which lead directly to my dropping both them and the brand as soon as I could. I will never accept being told bare faced lies. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #569282 Tue Nov 20 2018 10:35am
IRBails

Australia 

BoldlyGo wrote:
On topic of DPF generated issues, and resulting consequences on the engine, engine oil dilution and drive system failure I found this instructional video from Landrover in the U.S that covers the early model L494's to MY15 I believe. In my MY16 I just got the 6.1% triggered "Service Due" message above a spanner and the need for an oil change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRyBZfJnvc

How you are meant to follow those guidelines if you are City bound I don't know.. a buddy of mine had to drive to Crawley and back from South London on a weekly basis on the M23 to get up enough constant speed to "clear" the DPF that was clogging at a regular rate. He's exiting the brand soon too..

btw I recently cancelled my LR extended warranty as I switch cars, there are a few days of the RRS not being covered and the warranty company asked if it was wise that I have a period of uncovered RRS ownership "just in case the engine failed"... good to see they had faith too..... Big Cry

Have yet to have the Yellow light, but then again I live in Australia where the roads are long and straight! M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #569319 Tue Nov 20 2018 9:19pm
Chips

England 

thomas brown wrote:
Who do you guys use to test the oil as I would like to test mine ?

I live in Norwich.

Cheers.

Tom.

I use these guys http://www.theoillab.co.uk/ very helpful and knowledgeable on the rrs engines , which they say overall is a very reliable engine apart from the crank issue which he is sure has been sorted on MY16 and beyond , any snaps then are just bad luck and no more common than any other cars out there MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #569367 Wed Nov 21 2018 2:58pm
thomas brown

Hi Chips.

Thanks for the link Thumbs Up I guess it's best to go for the £59.99 option test as it does everything ?

Or is it as long as it has the oil dilution test in it that's all that matters ?

Cheers.

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #569395 Wed Nov 21 2018 9:21pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

My RRS doesn't have a dipstick, how do I obtain an oil sample to send off for analysis?
thanks
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #569396 Wed Nov 21 2018 9:24pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

wilf wrote:
In my experience Dealers do NOT do a proper quantitative oil analysis - they simply interrogate the ECU to see what the algorithm tells them the oil dilution figure is. i.e. it is a calculated figure.

I was told my oil was "OK" by the Dealer after the third premature oil service light, and yet my own, proper, (Millers oils) analysis showed 8% dilution, a figure Millers considered dangerous.

I had a significant argument with the supplying Dealer after that, the gist of which I will not repeat here, but which lead directly to my dropping both them and the brand as soon as I could. I will never accept being told bare faced lies.

Exactly true Thumbs Up

It suits many LR dealers to try to convince you that they know more than you just to fob you off. This is why it is important that customers understand the issues, not just for now but for in the future beyond warranty if your car is a keeper. Being able to attack the dealer back with knowledge usually wins the day if not the future.

Don’t forget that really useful part of LR extended warranties, “All known issues excluded”

Yet they (Speth etc) still try to lay the blame for all LR’s current problems on driving style, Brexit etc rather than look into their own critical engineering designs & failures, some of which were voiced by engineers, and subsequently ignored by management at the expense of driving forward sales.

Great traditional cars spoiled by insane management, the present could well be the start of “what goes around comes around” as far as LR’s future is concerned.

The engineering architecture of Jaguar is somewhat different to LR as far as engine/DPF layout is concerned, hence the thoughts about a future split between Jaguar and LR in some circles.

Post #569457 Thu Nov 22 2018 5:39pm
thomas brown

timhum wrote:
My RRS doesn't have a dipstick, how do I obtain an oil sample to send off for analysis?
thanks
Tim

Hi Timhum.

If you lift the bonnet up looking at the front of the Range Rover on the left hand side of the engine is a pipe sticking up, this is how you change the oil by sucking it out from here.

You will need some sort of siringe and small pipe to fit down it to suck it out , Thumbs Up

Cheers.

Post #569469 Thu Nov 22 2018 6:42pm
wilf

Yup - a big syringe and some flexi rubber tubing was how I got my sample out.

Oh and Millers Oils do a good analysis service Send you containers and labelling and all. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #569476 Thu Nov 22 2018 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>