RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Extended Warranty Handbook - Crankshaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

MrMeg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I do agree crazy repair bill LR should cover this 100%, even cars unto the 7 year mark or so its really not acceptable. The only caveat to that would be crazy high mileage not looked after cars. RR could turn this problem into a winner by announcing that they will only cover this whilst been serviced at RR history that way the would prob even make money in the longer run with cars 3 years+ old.

Post #568525 Thu Nov 08 2018 1:26pm
wilf

What I don't understand is how JLR are escaping the "reasonable life" expectation embodied in the Consumer Rights Act? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #568528 Thu Nov 08 2018 2:53pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My thoughts exactly, it looks like we are saying you can skip spending a fortune on R & D just design any sort of rubbish and then say sorry sir it is a design fault!

That cannot be right surely? Shocked 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #568529 Thu Nov 08 2018 3:18pm
MrMeg

wilf wrote:
What I don't understand is how JLR are escaping the "reasonable life" expectation embodied in the Consumer Rights Act?

I think it must be a small number of cars atm, surely if that number grows there would have to be a recall under a safety issue?? I'm pretty sure a crank snapping at speed is a bad issue

Post #568530 Thu Nov 08 2018 3:20pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Surely percentage is irrelevant, 1 snapping is to many with such little mileage on most that have snapped. I would be livid if i had to fork out that sort of cash for a vehicle repair. So really we are all just playing Russian roulette. Probably easier just to set light to it on the side of the road if it did happen Whistle Big Cry 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Last edited by Buckster on Thu Nov 08 2018 10:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #568547 Thu Nov 08 2018 5:57pm
Nowaytk

England 

J2D wrote:
Nowaytk wrote:
When mine went I had the extended warranty, and it was only the horror stories on here that made me a bit paranoid, some were saying it’s definitely NOT covered and it was only a good will payment LR gave out to some. What didn’t help was that it only mentioned that the crank is covered in the SELECT extended warranty with no mention in the extended ?

Did they cover yours? Or was it a LR good will payment?

John

As far as I’m aware, I was told it was covered and not a goodwill payment 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #568573 Thu Nov 08 2018 10:17pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Yeah but that was under the full manufacturers warranty wasn't it?

Was a new(ish) car at the time no?

Post #568575 Thu Nov 08 2018 11:06pm
Nowaytk

England 

No, just over 3 years (about 2months) and on the extended warranty 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #568576 Fri Nov 09 2018 6:33am
syl

United Kingdom 

It’s either a design issue, in which case the dealer will be liable for selling you a car that is not fit for purpose, or it’s not, in which case the dealer will be liable for selling you a warranty that is not fit for purpose. So, if your crank fails, they won’t sort it and you bought the car from a LR dealer, you sue the dealer. They can rope others in if they want.

I’m not sure what you do if you buy privately or from a non-franchise, used RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #568581 Fri Nov 09 2018 8:16am
MrMeg

I really don't buy the warranty not covering known issues, I think this would mean known to you and haven't done anything about it so it fails, although some day design faults but that should then pass to LR to fix warranty or not on a recall.

Known issue which the dealer may know of but hasn't recalled then surely its a solid part and should be covered. RR are really opening themselves up for legal issues here should to many snap.

Crazy a premium brand give the customer doubt.

Post #568586 Fri Nov 09 2018 8:55am
wilf

The aftermarket warranty is just an insurance policy, and as with any other such, will not pay out if their terms are even glancingly not adhered to.

Their wording is precise about "known faults", and the fact that JLR have recalled in S Korea for exactly this issue gives them all the ammunition they need.

I would not take that risk - in fact I absolutely did not, and left the marque, after 12 successive years of owning JLR products, and considering the RRS to be the high water mark of my personal car ownership story.

As others have said, the utterly ludicrous cost of a replacement engine is at the root of the warranty issues here. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #568590 Fri Nov 09 2018 9:20am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

MrMeg wrote:
RR could turn this problem into a winner by announcing that they will only cover this whilst been serviced at RR history that way the would prob even make money in the longer run with cars 3 years+ old.

I don't think they're allowed to do that, as long as the service is carried out by a reputable business, the service is as good as any.

And it would certainly drive me away form the brand. There's no way on this earth that I would let my local Land Rover dealer anywhere near my car. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #568608 Fri Nov 09 2018 11:30am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

wilf wrote:

Their wording is precise about "known faults", and the fact that JLR have recalled in S Korea for exactly this issue gives them all the ammunition they need.

Easy. Just write to LR UK and ask if the crank is a known design / manufacturing issue. They'll say "no" because to say otherwise opens them up to a potential massive bill. Manufacturer says it's not an issue so the warranty can't then claim it is. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #568611 Fri Nov 09 2018 12:04pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Im sure i read S Korean government got involved in the recall over there and made JLR address the issue Question 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #568614 Fri Nov 09 2018 12:43pm
MrMeg

I would say its irrelevant on a recall on the S Korea cars it should be the country we are in as the cars would differ a little. I have googled camshaft failures ref rrs and not loads come up and actually some hits on the older models, its mostly forum hits. But then if you google any car and reliably issues most will give you things to worry about if you let it.

Post #568618 Fri Nov 09 2018 1:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>