RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L 494 Oil dilation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>

wilf

I used a big (very!) syringe and a connecting tube to the oil extract point to suck mine out. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #567959 Wed Oct 31 2018 9:27am
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

So I had a full oil service in Sep, an early one triggered by oil dilution being >6.1% etc
…. 1 month and 1000 miles later I take a drive from South London to Folkestone, bits of 70mph (ish) whilst on M25 then opened up onto the M20 southbound and then hit a lot of 50mph average speed controls - then later that day returned.

The next morning I was messing about with checking tyres and then clicked on the oil level indicator -the reading showed as overfilled on the gauge and a note to refer to handbook (a sign of oil dilution I note !!) !!! Saw red and decided to go for a 20 minute speedy drive, returned, waited half hour and checked the oil -- back at normal level. So I am really wondering WTF is going on, I've been brand loyal for 15+ years and I am really questioning my car strategy.

I also checked the net (again ! - it's becoming a sad habit) and on an engineering page re oil dilution risk found this:-

""Severe engine damage can occur due to fuel dilution in lubricating oil, as high fuel levels (>2%) in a lubricant can lead to decreased viscosity, loss of dispersancy, oil degradation, and loss of oxidation stability. In internal combustion engines, fuel dilution is a major cause for lubricant failure and typically occurs as a result of not only improper fuel-to-air ratio, but also due to piston ring wear, excessive idling, or loose connectors, and defective injectors.""

So is LR's trigger point of 6.1% too high ? and it is us lot wearing the risk of say 5% dilution - which clearly is bad.(and the car does not alert us) .. is LR just protecting their potential cost of very regular oil servicing of MY14,15,16,17 models ?

I them came across LR's own messaging on its website re Petro/Diesel choice

https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-r...iesel.html

""Before purchasing any vehicle you should take into consideration your usual driving habits. Diesel engines are more efficient on longer journeys at higher speeds. But, if your usual driving habits consist of shorter journeys that are subject to the regular stopping and starting of city traffic, a diesel engine isn’t necessarily the best choice.

The higher energy density of diesel fuel, and the way energy is released during combustion, means that if you drive 12,000 miles or more per year, a diesel engine can offer a greater return on mileage. A diesel engine is therefore likely to be the most cost-effective choice.

Modern diesel vehicles are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). This filter collects particulates in the exhaust to be burned off when it reaches a high temperature. Shorter journeys, such as those often taken in a city, make this process more difficult to achieve.
For those predominantly driving in the city, a petrol, hybrid or all-electric vehicle might be a more suitable choice.""

I don't need a car to be dictating my driving habits (and being of unknown risk) , particularly when with average speed controls, congestion etc we are driving at a slower speed than ever.

Think i might go look at a Lexus !!!! P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #568260 Sun Nov 04 2018 8:10pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A D5 forum member had his oil tested and it was close to zero, the software algorithm monitoring "driving style" seems to be extremely pessimistic. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #568278 Sun Nov 04 2018 10:59pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Thanks jimbg for this "A D5 forum member had his oil tested and it was close to zero, the software algorithm monitoring "driving style" seems to be extremely pessimistic."

However it gives me very little comfort. I own the car and thus with a trade-in value of c £35k still I have to weigh up the risks, and by the looks of the connected oil dilution, engine and crankshaft failure stories that are emerging on this and other forums.(and my own dilution experience... plus the uncertainty of warranty covering a 'design fault' ) I find myself seriously questioning carrying on owning it.

Best car I've ever owned by the way -- but my gut feeling tells me to exit whilst the car still has tangible value. I note that a long list of loyal forum members have already thrown in the towel. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable

Post #568299 Mon Nov 05 2018 11:28am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Boldlygo - “Best Car i’ve Ever owned...........” and possibly the most expensive. I had owned more expensive Land Rover products but my 2015 RRS HSE D SDv6 falls into your comment bracket fairly and squarely and the only other LR products that fell into the category were the TDv8 RRS HSE and the launch day delivered Evoque Dynamic Lux Plus that I owned. All 3 were owned from new, all faultless bar forgivable small niggles sorted out by excellent dealerships but JLR’s attitude to extra warranty and only making good a design fault failure after their due consideration has put me off buying another new JLR product for a very long time. It wasn’t dealerships saying No Cover it was JLR themselves refusing to cover a car that had full main dealer service history and with a further two years left on the service agreement option so was still going to remain in a main dealer service bay come the service date that really riled me. I immediately requested a refund of three expressions of interest I had on then forthcoming new models - The RRS P400 PHEV, the I-Pace and the Defender replacement (dealer’s had had my deposit for 5vyears on that one). It is going to take a huge amount of good Will on behalf of JLR to get me to part with a lot of my savings to buy another of their products. It would cost JLR nothing whatsoever to have some faith in their own products and where a car has a proven full main dealer service history, back it up. It also shows that they themselves have little faith that their own dealership network can maintain the vehicles properly if they cannot give some sort of assurance about engine longevity. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #568305 Mon Nov 05 2018 12:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilf

After the second premature "service required" message my car went in again and I was told the oil was OK.

I had it tested independently immediately and it was at 8% dilution. Shocked

The ensuing argument (and downright lies told to me) to get the Dealer to change the oil FOC as per the JLR standing instruction made me decide to get rid and never return. Plus the queue of people in their Ewoks and Disco Sports for early oil services I observed (and spoke to) only reinforced that.

Then my wife's Ewok, just out of warranty, at under 20k miles and with a full LRSH needed a new turbo, and I had to fight to get 50% "goodwill". Customer service? Don't make me laugh, this was not even the full figure under my legal SOGA rights.

The decision to leave the marque I have never regretted. Over-priced and under-tested is how I view JLR products these days. Far better value and reliability out there once you get the "Must have a Range Rover" thing out of your head. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #568313 Mon Nov 05 2018 2:50pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Wilf,
May I ask what you switched too,
thanks
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #568329 Mon Nov 05 2018 7:22pm
Dave Harries

United Kingdom 

I am paranoid about the engine in my sport and the fact that it is not covered by the approved warranty. I have been watching the service indicator dropping at the rate of 2-3 miles for every mile driven, I have now made the decision to get rid of the sport and buy an F-Pace with the 300bhp petrol engine. The sport goes tomorrow, just got to wait for end of jan early feb for it to turn up.

Post #568332 Mon Nov 05 2018 8:30pm
wilf

timhum wrote:
Wilf,
May I ask what you switched too,
thanks
Tim

A long (ish) story.

I wanted an XKR, but realised that with the mileage I am currently doing for work (around 25k pa, and hopefully only for the next year to 18 months) that was not sensible.

I ran out of time as I wanted out of the Sport quickly, and in a fit of madness, bought a nearly new little hatchback (Suzuki Swift) as a stop gap. And 6 months later I am still in that, loving every minute of its light nimble handling, the amazing ease of parking, and 50mpg. My journey times haven't increased at all, and it has better equipment than the Sport did (and more legroom in the front, go figure). Auto dip headlights that work superbly, Apple CarPlay as standard, adaptive cruise etc. etc.

And it all works perfectly, it costs pennies to run, and has had bulletproof reliability.

If you had told me a year ago I would be merrily buzzing around in such a car I would have laughed at you. But once my mileage gets down to retirement levels, the XK will probably appear as my V8 itch needs scratching again. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #568340 Mon Nov 05 2018 9:41pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply, I guess you didn't need a 4x4 to replace the RR. My issue is to identify a good 4x4 replacement for my Sport in a few months. Fortunately, for fun, I have recently bought an Alpine A110, a fantastic little car.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #568350 Mon Nov 05 2018 11:41pm
wilf

Alpine - very lovely. You have given me pause for thought now!

The only truly bulletproof 4X4 out there is the Landcruiser - ask any Australian. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #568366 Tue Nov 06 2018 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

And regarding being bulletproof ask numerous news agencies and the UN........... they all used to use LR’s by default until the TDi200 Defender came along with its self destructing gearboxes........ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #568384 Tue Nov 06 2018 1:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Dave Harries wrote:
I am paranoid about the engine in my sport and the fact that it is not covered by the approved warranty. I have been watching the service indicator dropping at the rate of 2-3 miles for every mile driven, I have now made the decision to get rid of the sport and buy an F-Pace with the 300bhp petrol engine. The sport goes tomorrow, just got to wait for end of jan early feb for it to turn up.

Dave Harries, the best decision you can make! I have exactly the model you are planning to purchase and have not looked back since. No problems with the new car that I picked up in September. The MY19 versions have some groovy updates to the older versions. You should even get Car Play as an added bonus. In addition, if you can get a decent price for your RRS you should hold on to at least another £10,000. Buy the family an excellent holiday this summer!!!

See you on the F-Pace Forum (https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/)

Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #568472 Wed Nov 07 2018 4:37pm
Dave Harries

United Kingdom 

JOCK55 it is a no brainer when you get 20% off as well, got a price for the sport that I could live with.

Post #568526 Thu Nov 08 2018 2:28pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

OK,, a big decision has been made... i'm off. BoldlyGo is Boldly going.

I just can't carry on with the paranoia associated with this oil dilution issue. The previous dilution/service required signal came after i'd driven to south of Paris, prior to driving there in Sep I checked AdBlue and miles to next oil service, the oil service showed 3500 miles to go (which at the time felt a tad early since the car had new oil in April). Following 800 miles or so of mainly 70mph driving I joined a long customs queue (the day the Ryder Cup ended!!) at the tunnel and the oil service spanner popped up on screen. Checking the menu showed nil miles... yep, oil dilution had got me and you know the story of the overfilled e-dipstick level that occurred recently... and we go to Scotland a lot, Cornwall a lot and the Continent -- and I can't have this spectre hanging over my enjoyment of driving..

So I've arranged a trade in for a very fair price for my beloved RRS and buying a Lexus RX450L Hybrid (new long version with 2 extra micro seats but a big boot), in Premier pack fully loaded, got a great discount using CarWow. I know it's boring but its going to work when I want it to and not p# me off with uncertainty, poor design faults, oil dilution haunting, an extended warranty that as James May would say is C##k, never mind the dealerships which talk the talk but rarely walk it.. !

In the huge and litigious U.S market, Lexus is top of the reliability list and LR (mainly non diesel too) are at the bottom... nuff said.

It might be the wrong choice, but 'no decision' would have been the wrong decision and after 15+ years of brand loyalty i now join a long list of leavers... It's been a pleasure boys... and a great shame, but there you are !!

Kirk Out...... P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!

Post #568543 Thu Nov 08 2018 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>