RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Which Diesel RRS To Buy - TDV8, TDV6 OR SDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Which Diesel RRS To Buy - TDV8, TDV6 OR SDV6

Im thinking of buying a 2nd RRS for the missus and have stumbled across a few bargains but need some advice which one to buy as ive never owned a diesel before.

Option 1 - 2009 TDV8 early facelift model with lots of history 110.000 miles and turbo's replaced last year.

Option 2 - 2011 TDV6 Autobiography with 60.000 miles but no history as the car was imported from another country and came with no history, now registered in the uk and only one mot done a few months ago after it was registered.

Option 3 - 2012 SDV6 with 135.000 miles with the one piece boot and rotary gearstick 8 speed gearbox but again no previous history as chap bought it from an auction at 90.000 miles 2 years ago and has put 45.000 since then on mainly motorway miles driving and has only serviced it through local garages.

All above 3 around the same price bracket. What would you guys recommend, I like the 1st one for the history, 2nd one as its a genuine Autobiography and 3rd one as its the newest out them all and havnt heard to many negative feedback on the SDV6 engines but high mileage with no service history is worrying so now confused Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

OR

Forget the missus and sell my 4.2 S/C and put that money towards a 5.0 S/C for MEEEEE Mr. Green RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #566989 Sun Oct 14 2018 11:36pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I would go for the MEEEEE option personally. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #566990 Sun Oct 14 2018 11:53pm
B9BS X

That would be the best option Thumbs Up

But she still needs a car Whistle RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,

Post #566991 Sun Oct 14 2018 11:59pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Personally i wouldn't buy any of the above unless you have deep pockets for unexpected repairs which may be looming buying cars with no service history. All high milers so bills will be plenty. I'm sure TDV8 (member) will be along soon to give you a long list of repairs his old TDV8 has encounted in the past. Banging Head

Post #567002 Mon Oct 15 2018 8:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Out of those three, I'd have the TDV8 if only because it has history and has had the "big ticket" item done recently (the turbos).

My old TDV8 was a victim of dealership incompetence as much as anything so the list of issues isn't necessarily fair. It also got muddy and towed, both of which increase component wear and are presumably unlikely for "the wife's car" in question here. I did put 30k miles a year on it for three years running and it was definitely at its happiest then.

Aside from the three examples listed in the OP, I'd have the TDV8 as the diesel of choice anyway. It's the best diesel engine available in RRS1, full stop. Oodles of low down grunt make for a relaxing, quick drive, none of the crankshaft issues of the V6 diesels, none of the criminal turbo lag problem of the SDV6 (how that got through testing is beyond me). It really is a peach. It also came with fairly decent specification as standard. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #567004 Mon Oct 15 2018 8:29am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

there is no such thing as a bargin diesel RRS

Post #567016 Mon Oct 15 2018 11:02am
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The SDV6 lag issue is noticeable albeit I wouldn't say criminal, and sortable via a remap. Otherwise generally agree.

Post #567033 Mon Oct 15 2018 7:46pm
B9BS X

What kind of bhp would be achievable on the TDV8 with a remap from a reputable company and also is there anything else to look out for if going down the TDV8 option? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #567050 Mon Oct 15 2018 11:50pm
garrycol

Australia 

"What kind of bhp would be achievable on the TDV8 with a remap from a reputable company"

But this car is for the missus - so remaps etc are irrelevant as she would never know the difference Laughing

So who is this car for really - you or your missus?

Oh - I would go for the TDV8 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #567051 Tue Oct 16 2018 2:59am
RRSTDV8

Father Jack wrote:
The SDV6 lag issue is noticeable albeit I wouldn't say criminal, and sortable via a remap. Otherwise generally agree.

They must vary then because mine is down right dangerous at times. One learns to drive around the problem, of course, but shouldn't have to. I've taken to driving in town using the paddles on approach to roundabouts etc. so that I know it's in the correct gear.

I've noticed that the gearbox is very slow to change down at times - I guess that's a function of the engine torque map - resulting in small judders like the onset of a stall as it tries to lug at 1000rpm, three gears too high for the road speed. A bit more throttle and suddenly it changes down and leaps forward. I wonder if this is one of the reasons the engine suffers from crankshaft failures - it's often lugging at low rpm which won't be good for it. My guess is that's all in the cause of emissions testing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #567076 Tue Oct 16 2018 11:29am
RRSTDV8

B9BS X wrote:
What kind of bhp would be achievable on the TDV8 with a remap from a reputable company and also is there anything else to look out for if going down the TDV8 option?

Standard is 268bhp (from memory) and you should be able to get another 25bhp on top of that quite easily. I've seen people quoting over 300bhp.

The gearbox has slightly different internals to handle the TDV8's extra grunt (the SC does too), and the TDV8 also runs stronger rear half shafts than standard. The rear shafts are the same as those fitted to vehicles with the locking rear diff, by the way. The driveline should be shunt free. If the vehicle has done lots of towing then you might notice some shunting. This could be a sign that the drive splines between gearbox and transfer box are worn. Make sure the transfer box shifts between high and low ranges. With the door open, listen as you select low range. You hear a slight click or two as it shifts. Drive it back and fore and then select high. Again, it should be quick and quiet in the change. You might not use low range but the same motor that drives the range change drives the centre diff locking mechanism - that might be useful in winter, for example, so it'd e nice to know it all works.

Things to look for are the same as other RRSs generally - suspension bushes being the most noticeable. Check the hydraulic anti roll bars for leaks, the rear being more prone to leaking than the front one (presumably because it's exposed and also the rear has to deal with slightly more suspension articulation). The turbos have a reputation for failing but I think some of that is down to the driver not being sympathetic and letting it idle briefly before shutting down.

Otherwise, check everything works. Then check it all again. Make sure the EPB works - it makes a sighing noise as it operates. Any screeching is a bad sign and needs to be sorted straight away to avoid failure. Probably needs an adjustment, otherwise the EPB shoes are probably shot and ready for changing.

Then check everything works again. Whistle 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #567078 Tue Oct 16 2018 11:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There are plenty out there so go for one that is as close to the spec it left the factory with - especially be aware of non standard design/ size wheels and new unheard of Chinese brand tyres- check for the cast in LR oval on wheels and walk away from anything riding on wheels bigger than 20” as the car was never designed to run on bigger - plenty of people do fit bigger wheels but you don’t want to be buying another potential problem of worn out steering as well as suspension components from running wheels the car wasn’t Intended to have by LR. Check for damp front foot wells - can be sunroof drains if one is fitted or poor seals if a replacement windscreen has been fitted, also could be loose A pillar trim. One other thing I have seen some people caught out with - engine management lights covered with electricians tape or painted over to hide an illuminated light and also SRS airbag lights on. Cars of the age you are looking at will be coming round to time to replace airbag and seat belt pretensioning triggers. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Oct 17 2018 10:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #567087 Tue Oct 16 2018 12:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B9BS X

Thanks for all the advice guys Thumbs Up RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #567127 Tue Oct 16 2018 11:29pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Cars of the age you are looking at will be coming round to time to replace airbag and seat belt pretensioning triggers.

Not sure it's legal requirement to replace airbags after 10 years or so in any shape or form, this was just another money making exercise by the manufactures, which I don't think any one fell for, don't think they even recommend it now, they should last the life of the vehicle this day and age, if not I'm sure there are a awful lot of vehicles out there that require them changing, unless of course they were made by Takata. which fortunately I believe L/R's are not. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #567155 Wed Oct 17 2018 3:50am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Tim in Scotland wrote:
One other thing I have seen some people caught out with - engine management lights covered with electricians tape or painted over to hide an illuminated light and also SRS airbag lights on.

Another one is check ALL the light s come on as well as going off,plenty of folk remove the bulbs & it is now a mot failure as the lights have to come on then go off when started.I get guys coming into my place with engine management lights ect on & when I fail them on mot they say,,ow ok ill go take the bulb out then,but I do advise them that it will then fail again as the light has to come on then go back off again.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White