RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L 494 Oil dilation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>

IRBails

Australia 

I become obsessive bout oil dilution. Information is what we all want, it seems that oil dilution is a factor of DPG regens. So the question must be how many regens does it take? I ask this because if it just takes 1 then you could have to change oil after the regen to combat dilution. This raises the issue of possible frequent oil changes, and in some aspects aligns with some people's experiences of getting frequent oil change service requests.

So it would be good to have this question answered. Also would be good to be able to tell when a regen occurs ? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564688 Thu Sep 06 2018 11:24pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

On my Honda, the fuel economy dipped, it felt a bit rougher, and there was a bit of a burning smell when it went through a re-gen. Obviously I can't say what the signs are on a RRS.
As for how much dilution per re-gen, I bet only JLR know (as if they are going to let that cat out of the bag).

Post #564714 Fri Sep 07 2018 3:31pm
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi guys.

I have a hawk eye and nano com at home which I still use for my TD5 Discovery, I know this will do every land rover as long as you buy the right unlock code but will this give me all the info about the regens ?

I think I may get the unlock code for my hawk eye so I can access this data it's going to cost a few £'s but least I can keep a eye on data like number of regens and this way it will save me alot in the future at land rover Stealers Rolling Eyes

Anybody got a hawk eye or nano com unlocked for a SDV6 L494 sport ? What's it like for access into the Bcu, ECU etc ?

Thanks.

Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #564721 Fri Sep 07 2018 4:41pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Oldandconfused wrote:
On my Honda, the fuel economy dipped, it felt a bit rougher, and there was a bit of a burning smell when it went through a re-gen. Obviously I can't say what the signs are on a RRS.
As for how much dilution per re-gen, I bet only JLR know (as if they are going to let that cat out of the bag).

Exactly the same tell tale signs as per the Discovety Sport plus the stop/start doesn’t work. I would imagine that the RRS is similar

On the DS a regen appeared to happen approx every 250miles and it is the failed regens that pump the largest dose of diesel into the sump and shorten the oils life. LR won’t fit a tell tale light for when a regen is happening since they don’t want you to know how often it happens due to their design errors.

Post #564726 Fri Sep 07 2018 6:28pm
wilf

When your car goes in for a service, you can request the regen history, which is stored in the ECU, but seemingly deleted at each service.

But you do need to request it of a tech or service manager, the "agents " on the front desk never managed to pass the request on for me. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #564731 Fri Sep 07 2018 7:21pm
IRBails

Australia 

As my car will be a high mileage vehicle I want to design a proactive care and maintenance process. So far I think this is how things work:-

Service intervals are worked on an Algorithmic process that considers:

Time 12 months, Stop starts , regens , and driving style. Most likely time and regens force early mileage services.

Regens are based on exhaust flow differentials so as the DFP filter ages , with use, gas flow will become more restricted and I assume more regens will occur and more oil dilution.

My take from this is I will need to do more regular oil services if I want longer engine life.

Oil contaminants are measured Parts Per Million , which is really about abusive materials coming off engine components and circulating causing more abrasion. Longer the oil is in the engine more parts per million.

I tried to get some info from dealer board members may help here , What is the service life of the DPF ?

What is the acceptable oil contaminants for the designed service intervals, LR must have tested this to work out service periods.

Also wondering if out of spec contamination is a warranty issue, most likely not with out a high court challenge !

Overall I am happy with my car , the early oil change this time makes sense , only 1500 miles early based on Regens, so now I understand some of the facts I can take better care. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564737 Fri Sep 07 2018 9:48pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I have read that a DPF filter should onlybe fulll after 100,000 miles. I have no idea how that milage is arrived at regarding variable occurrence of the re-gens as even after it won't be empty. They can, I believe , be removed and chemically cleaned out but as to ease and cost, I emagine we will find out. If the engine lasts that long that is.

Post #564749 Sat Sep 08 2018 7:21am
wilf

Depends what you mean by "full".

If you mean residual ash deposits that won't burn off during a regeneration, I concur.

And that might well be removable via a high pressure wash, but getting the DPF off in one piece (Exhaust fixings after 100k miles are not exactly known for being easy to remove) could be another matter.

Certainly main dealers won't do anything other than replace it. And I doubt they will be cheap. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #564782 Sat Sep 08 2018 6:25pm
IRBails

Australia 

Found this on the WEB and it suggests the DPF life should be the same as engine life?

http://www.visconusa.com/extending-diesel-...-intervals

M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564974 Mon Sep 10 2018 10:12pm
IRBails

Australia 

This is an Australian site for DPF cleaning but seems about 400 pound gets the DPF like brand new. Also noticed some fuel additives that claim they help DPF life and cleaning.

https://www.dpfregen.com.au/diesel-particu...gIUhPD_BwE M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564975 Mon Sep 10 2018 10:26pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

The "DPF Issue" affecting the Evoque and DS has now been officially labelled as a JLR-specific design/manufacturing fault by The Car Expert web site. On 14 August 2018 at 9:01 am Editor Stuart Masson, responding to yet another poster who had just been told that their driving style was the cause of a serious DPF problem, wrote:

It’s not the emissions limits, it’s the design and engineering of the manufacturer that is faulty. Plenty of other manufacturers have been able to build cars that comply with the Euro 6 emissions laws without breaking down every five minutes – but then reliability has never been Land Rover’s forte…

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/forums/topi...-problems/

Post #564997 Tue Sep 11 2018 9:03am
wilf

That's the kiss of death then, to aftermarket warranty claims. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #565025 Tue Sep 11 2018 4:53pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 
Oil Dilution - JLR's dealership guidance

Found the actual document JLRP00100, presume internal, that JLR have shared with Dealership Service Centres regarding protocols re dealing with early service or oil dilution.

https://www.docdroid.net/KUMbEu2/2017-07-j...lution.pdf

Very useful fodder to use with dealership if you are getting any pushback or unhelpful behaviour (which I know is unlikely Wink )

Apols if it has been shared before

Interesting reading !! P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #566692 Thu Oct 11 2018 3:20pm
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

That's a most interesting read Thumbs Up

Post #566705 Thu Oct 11 2018 6:20pm
rangiejools

Australia 

JLR not the only ones stuffing up!

11 OCT 2018
Audi Q7 sales suspended in Australia
Diesel issues slow sales of full-sized SUVs.
1 / 1 photos

Audi has suspended sales of its full-sized Q7 SUV.
Vehicles powered by 3.0-litre turbo diesel V6 engines require an update to prevent people from tampering with the emissions management system.
Both the 160kW and 200kW versions of the Audi luxury SUV use diesel exhaust fluid additives such as AdBlue to reduce the effect of harmful particulates. When sprayed into a car's exhaust system, the urea-based solution helps exhaust filters trap particles which can be hazardous to human health.
Audi spokesman Shaun Cleary says the brand has suspended sales of new and used Q7 models to make sure the systems work correctly. A design flaw in the Q7 may make it possible to top up the car's diesel exhaust fluid reservoir with liquids that do not perform as intended.

"We’re working on a solution to improve recognition of the wrong medium [being added] to the AdBlue tank,” he says.
AdBlue fluid has been a problematic point for brands following VW's diesel emissions scandal. German manufacturers have been accused of colluding to reduce the effectiveness of AdBlue by installing smaller tanks in cars, and spreading the fluid too thin between service intervals. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #566766 Fri Oct 12 2018 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>