RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Did some dirt, snow and mud over a week in Tas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

IRBails

Australia 
Did some dirt, snow and mud over a week in Tas?

Decided to visit the Island state of Tasmania, most Ozzies think this is another country. Did the ferry overnight which raised an interesting question, how to turn the motion alarm off. Don't know if it worked but I double clicked the remote , battery wasn't flat in the morning so I suppose all was well.

Mid winter and the day time running had the oranges snowflake on the instrument cluster temps ranged between 0 and 5 degrees. I had planned this trip to do the west coast of Tas from Smithton to Strahan , google it , some dirt roads and a cable ferry would be the only off the paved tracks on this trip. The day for the trip was made interesting by high winds and heavy rain, the car felt great on the dirt roads and all was well, we came across trees blown over the road, I proceeded by attaching my snatch strap and towing the trees from the road. however in the end had to turn around.

Detoured via some forestry roads which were also not sealed and very clay based. car did not miss a beat. Home now car is covered in dirt , no seeing out the rear window. Have some photos to up load when I work out how to.

The RRS was very nice in the conditions, I always felt secure , no rattles on the rough sections which is good. Did get some brush caught underneath a few times but no issue. Oil service required now, 3,000 Kilometers before normal, unsure the reason perhaps the cold conditions shortened the life. My car is out of warranty in 6 months I now have 73,000 k's up and no major issues. Got great fuel economy 8.9/100 measured mostly highway around 100 to 120 kph. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #563786 Thu Aug 23 2018 11:47am
IRBails

Australia 

Click image to enlarge
 M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #563787 Thu Aug 23 2018 12:07pm
IRBails

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #563788 Thu Aug 23 2018 12:10pm
IRBails

Australia 

Tasmanian Devil

Click image to enlarge

Post #563789 Thu Aug 23 2018 12:13pm
PIG88

United Kingdom 

Great report and photos - nice to see an RRS getting a proper workout.
Hope you didn’t let the Tasmanian Devil in the car - rumour has it they smell pretty bad!

Post #563790 Thu Aug 23 2018 12:55pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

nice Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #563795 Thu Aug 23 2018 1:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

McCulloch makes a very nice small petrol driven chain saw that is a godsend for fallen trees across the track and it easily fits into an RRS boot and also it fits into a Defender 90’s rear compartment. In the offroad club I’m a member of we did a group buy of them and there are 2-3 members designated to bring one along every outing - they are useful in the garden too.

Did you leave the TR in auto or try out the various programmed settings? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #563796 Thu Aug 23 2018 2:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

Don't know why the photo is on it's side but does show the car in off road mode selected. Both Diffs locked. I normally take a chain saw when going bush, own a small one but did not expect trees across the road on this trip. Small electric Ryobi will be added as I already have the batteries. I had a snatch strap on board which did allow me to continue past the tree shown, it was just running into many more trees that made me decide to abort and go round.

Having to get access to my gear under the spare made me decide to also make up a tool wrap and get rid of the foam OME container. I expect I will get all the stuff I need stored under the spare now including hydraulic jack and air compressor. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #563826 Thu Aug 23 2018 11:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The l320 RRS had a really nice arrangement with the way that the rear seats folded that made an ideal easy to reach stowage for things like towropes and strops etc but the way L494 rear seats fold and all the extra bits like bum vibrators in them meant we lost that really useful place. Even in , the SDv6 it was always surprising how easy it was to get the diffs all locked up even on grass, but I always went off road on my 22” wheels which wouldn’t have helped give the diffs an easy time! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #563828 Fri Aug 24 2018 5:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1