RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Household Waste mgw limit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HughN

Wales 
Household Waste mgw limit

In their infinite wisdom, the local council are instigating a permit scheme for access to the local 'Household Waste Recycling Sites' (tips /dumps to you and I), requiring vans, pickups, car-derived vans and trailers to apply for a [free] permit. They have also placed a limit on maximum gross weight of 3,000 kg - heavier than that and you ain't getting in...

That's a lot of FFRR, Discoveries and other vehicles who won't be allowed in. That won't go down well.

I'm waiting on an answer as to how they intend to enforce this.

Yet another well thought-through policy. Confused

Post #562775 Tue Aug 07 2018 8:54am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Censored them...fly tip then. Steve.

Post #562787 Tue Aug 07 2018 12:17pm
HughN

Wales 

Ha ha! Don't tempt me.

That's what happened when they started charging £4 a bag for rubble, etc., They ended up spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on clearing-up fly-tipped rubble. Who'd have thought that might happen? Rolling Eyes

Post #562789 Tue Aug 07 2018 12:42pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Yep we had this introduced last year. Drive in, "show me your papers" and the card get hole punched. I wasn't aware of the weight limit though. Here they now have the right to ask for id with an address, to stop people coming across counties to dump their stuff, as your not from round these parts. Something to do with where your local tax is paid for the service. You ain't paid you ain't getting in. They'll be ANPR next on the entrance.............

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #562795 Tue Aug 07 2018 1:29pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Cymruambyth wrote:
Censored them...fly tip then.

No, don't. Fly tipping is a scourge on the landscape. Anyone caught should have the vehicle used taken off them in my opinion.

The amount of Censored that fly tipping Censored leave around in gateways, on verges etc. is beyond a joke. Censored the lot of them. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562796 Tue Aug 07 2018 1:30pm
RRSTDV8

The reason all of this is happening is because the Government decided to tax Local Authorities for every ton of waste that goes in to the ground. The Local Authorities, not unreasonably, are trying to reduce how much they have to pay the Government. It's another way for Government to deflect the blame from itself on to Local Authorities - the Council Tax is the same type of idea as it allows Government to blame the Local Authority for any rises.

The irony is that in many cases, the County Council run the tips. Clearing up any fly tipping, however, is the responsibility of the District Council. No surprise that the Counties are happy to push the problem elsewhere. Of course, in Unitary Authorities, there is a different tension in the relationship.

Don't blame the poor sods on low wages working at the tips - it's not their fault. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562797 Tue Aug 07 2018 1:36pm
HughN

Wales 

Stevepd wrote:
They'll be ANPR next on the entrance.............

A few miles north from me in a different council area, there already is ANPR. If you go there too often (whatever that is) you are stopped from going in.

More than once I've travelled along roads that look like a go-karting track where tyres have been thrown out the back of a moving van during the night. The councils wont touch anything fly-tipped on private land, so there are quite a few farmers getting fed up with clearing things up and then having to pay commercial rates [to the council] to get rid.

Perhaps if our Lords and Masters attended the University of the Bleeding Obvious* instead of Eton, things would be thought through properly.

- Hugh

* Previously The Bleeding Obvious Polytechnic.

Post #562858 Wed Aug 08 2018 7:29am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

I was refused access to our local recycling centre in my signwritten D3, even though it was only household waste. They said that it COULD be trade waste, despite opening the boot and showing them a couple of old bikes and garden toys. Not interested

So I came home, swapped it with my courtesy car (which isn't signwritten) , dumped no problem. And then went back with a bootful of crap from the workshop, just to Censored them off Laughing

Post #562863 Wed Aug 08 2018 9:02am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

LB of Lewisham run a very well organised tip. As long as you can prove to be a resident of the borough, then you can drive up and drop off as much as you want, providing its not commercial of course. Only problem is that they don't like trailers so one hot Sunday had to do 4 trips there/back with a hedge we were removing Rolling Eyes

Post #562865 Wed Aug 08 2018 9:14am
RRSTDV8

It's worth remembering that many/most/all (?) councils offer some form of bulk collection service. Usually a small fee (a tenner, say) and they will pick up big stuff like sofas, fridges etc. Saves the hassle of loading/unloading it yourself and driving to the tip. Worth considering for some stuff. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562891 Wed Aug 08 2018 2:23pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

After reading these hassles with tips I guess there are advantages with living remote. I go with my MF35X tractor bucket filled with garden grass cuttings and dump no problem, and dump as much of anything load onto my 3.5t trailer. Nobody checks what I have or how often I visit 😀 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #562913 Wed Aug 08 2018 10:52pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hmm... Carmarthenshire CC allow trailers as long as they are not "Drive On Trailers", whatever that means? I have a couple of trailers, neither of which I could drive a car on but I could load a small tractor or ATV. Long way to go for me to dump sofas to be turned back...

Post #562918 Thu Aug 09 2018 7:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1