Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Approved used farce
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

brucei

United Kingdom 
Approved used farce

Hi

Sorry if the following post is a little rambling but I am at the end of my teather with such a bad experience and wondering if anyone can advise me on the correct course of action with regards complaints.

After many years of wanting to own a Range Rover Sport, I have recently purchased a 2015 model from a main dealer through the approved used scheme. I was buying the vehicle to coincide with my holiday to Spain as I wanted to drive the car there.

I saw the car advertised and immediately fell in love. It was the colour, spec etc that I had been looking for so as the car was quite a long way from me I decided to leave a deposit to secure the vehicle.
It seems this was my first mistake...

Mistake no.2 came when I was asked to pay for the vehicle in full before viewing or collection as I was told it was important for their targets. I expressed my concern but was assured that the vehicle would be 100% correct as they undergo a strict 165 point inspection.
it seems this was the first of many lies.

On collection I was excited to finally see and drive what I have worked so hard for many, many years. On the face of it, it was beautiful, just what I wanted.

The problems began on the journey home. Excessive road noise from multiple areas and no air con.

After looking into the road noise I originally thought this would be attributed to the tyre tread pattern. After asking some advice on this site I was advised that the tyre sizes and more importantly the load rating was incorrect. The vehicle came with 285 35 22 106 and should be fitted with 275 40 22 108. This could void my insurance if I were to be involved in an accident.

The next issue was that the cold air from the air con was not coming out of the vents with any force what so ever.

Although these were the two main issues there was also a loose side step, damaged and loose plastic hanging down from behind the front lower valance and a broken rear passenger centre console.

My trip to Spain was to begin 3 weeks later so I reported all these issues to the dealer and explained the urgency of having these issues fixed asap... 9 days later and with no response I called the dealer.
After being passed from pillar to post by various people and constantly being assured I would be called back and never was my car was finally collected 13 days later.
I was assured that the tyres would be changed and other issues dealt with in time for my trip.. 4 days into the work I still had no updates on progress. I called on day 4 to be told someone would call back, no call.
Day 5, after calling again told brakes are making the noise and discs would be replaced as have an excessive lip and a cracked turbo hose had to be ordered.
Day 6 was a Saturday and my booking for the tunnel was booked for Tuesday (tomorrow!), now told the dealer was not 'comfortable' to put the correct size tyres on the wheels as they were after market alloys (comfortable to sell a car with aftermarket wheels with in correct tyres though?) Also now told brakes not to be replaced just re greased.

I have received the car back today even though when I had called this morning to ask what time the car would be back I was told it wouldn't be back until tomorrow !

The tyres have been changed for the correct sizes however the dealer was unable to change themselves as their machine had broken and another company had to. Apparently there wasn't time to valet the vehicle so the tyres are covered in soap. After cleaning the wheels this evening the previous unmarked black wheels have now been returned damaged where the tyres have been installed by some complete clown. I took photos prior to the car leaving and will address this with the dealer tomorrow. The car has also been returned with less than half a tank when I made sure it was full when they collected.

In summary I am appalled with how I have been treated. The approved used scheme in my experience is a total no better than Arthur Daleys warranty ! My confidence in the dealer, warranty and brand is completely destroyed. I have been lied to on several occasions, coerced into full payment before viewing and now have a car with damaged wheels.

If I wasn't for my holiday (which I now have to delay a day), I would return the car and never buy the brand again. Has anyone had a similar experience and can anyone advise who I should escalate this issues to ?

Thanks all

Post #562751 Mon Aug 06 2018 8:44pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It never ceases to amaze me how these dealerships treat people, I hope someone will be along shortly to help you escalate this to get it sorted Sad

I believe you have consumer rights to fall back on if car wasn’t as advertised Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #562753 Mon Aug 06 2018 9:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That sounds like the usual level of total ineptitude one expects from LR dealers, to be honest. They mess up, eventually take the vehicle in, park it and forget it because they're too busy doing high-profit services instead, and then disappoint when they do actually do something.

Incorrectly rated tyres are not unusual, that's for sure. It's been reported on here before and my first RRS also had incorrectly rated tyres when I bought it (before I knew what they should be) - ironically I noticed damage on one tyre and wheel and the dealer actually put a new pair of tyres on (axle pair) and sorted the wheel.

The problem really is that you bought it without looking at it and handed over all of the money on trust. At least the dealer has changed the tyres for a more appropriately rated set. Are they a decent brand tyre (Pirelli, Goodyear etc) or are they a "cheap but legal" set from some unknown maker in China?

Caveat emptor is the first, second and third rule to obey when buying from a LR dealership, sadly. They don't do customer care (there is the occasional one that is good but they are the exception to the rule it seems).

If the air con problem is caused by a broken bit, I would expect the warranty will pick that up although I might be tempted to go to a different dealership to get it sorted.

Oh, and once you're sorted out, don't forget to name and shame. Thumbs Up

Assuming you keep it, find a decent indy to look after it - you can avoid LR's pet muppets then. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562754 Mon Aug 06 2018 9:02pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but yes the Approved Used can be abused by the dealer. The 165 point inspection must be done to get the warranty, but like in my case the dealer doesn't always correct the points highlighted.
My park brake seized shortly after getting the RRS so it went back, then the mechanic sent a video suggesting I replace disks due to corrosion and a few other points. Cutting it short, I got escalated up Peter Vardy management (all evidence available) as I was questioning whether the 165 check was carried out so they proved it to me - it's worse, the corrosion was highlighted but the dealer didn't replace them, probably to fleece me at service time. They wouldn't have expected me back so soon, so I ended up with new rear brakes etc. This was Peter Vardy Aberdeen - I've not been back...

I would suggest you ask for a copy of the inspection, suggesting you don't believe it was carried out if necessary. Then you'll see if anything was highlighted and not corrected - raise with Land Rover if not done.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #562755 Mon Aug 06 2018 9:10pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Wow this is astounding, its annoying just reading this and the shoddiness of the whole thing. As mentioned above you have rights and reject the car - no confidence or trust, but you've got to do it sooner rather than later of you've lost the momentum to your argument.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #562768 Tue Aug 07 2018 7:12am
james5599

United Kingdom 

Reject. Simple. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #562774 Tue Aug 07 2018 8:54am
PEACHY

England 

Name & shame the dealer - Lancaster Tonbridge is Censored - I will never use them again & I have 100 reasons why ! I have both good & bad experiences with approved used. As above - reject it Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #562776 Tue Aug 07 2018 9:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Maybe you should get your money back and buy a jaguar.

Post #562783 Tue Aug 07 2018 11:22am
East Coast Sport

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Re - Peter Vardy Aberdeen above, they are fkn shower of k**ts

I bought my 15my sport from them at a VIP event last November, what a shambles. The car was delivered to me untaxed, they charged me the more expensive tax band even though its a 306 engine. The mileage on the sales invoice was wrong.

Car has had repeated issues with the engine management light coming but nobody can find anything wrong until finally the LR Assist guy ( the 4th one to come) diagnosed a faulty throttle body which was causing engine overboost faults to come as the engine continued revving even after you lift off the throttle. So they changed the throttle and the car has been fine since, 1 week and counting.

I'm also still waiting for my free iPad I was supposed to get for buying the car. Despite numerous complaints I only got a response when I escalated to JLR Customer Care and contacted one the Directors via LinkedIn.

Their Customer service is crap and on Saturday when I collect my 17MY Autobiography from Pentland I'm going to email them a pic of it with the strapline 'F**k You Peter Vardy'

Rant over, cant wait for the new car ! 2017 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
2015 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus Silver.
2013 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Ebony Premium Oxford Leather, Privacy Glass

Post #562806 Tue Aug 07 2018 2:30pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I've just heard an advert on the radio "Land Rover above and beyond" (insert any repercussion). It may be more apt than they know. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #562808 Tue Aug 07 2018 2:49pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

East Coast Sport wrote:
Re - Peter Vardy Aberdeen above, they are fkn shower of k**
Their Customer service is crap and on Saturday when I collect my 17MY Autobiography from Pentland I'm going to email them a pic of it with the strapline 'F**k You Peter Vardy'

Rant over, cant wait for the new car !

Post it on their Facebook page, go on Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #562828 Tue Aug 07 2018 6:03pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'm with you Rob - post it on their Facebook page but without the blue language. Just a simple "Because of your customer service, I bought this elsewhere". Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562832 Tue Aug 07 2018 6:58pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

wow, that is shocking!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Bruce Confused --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #562834 Tue Aug 07 2018 7:15pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I would be wanting an original set of genuine 22” wheels as you mentioned they were after market? The Tyres alone wouldnt have been sufficient for my liking Sad And excessive lip on discs I would be wanting new discs and pads fitted also at the dealers expense Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #562836 Tue Aug 07 2018 7:28pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Reject and demand refund within 30 days of buying if you want an easy life Banging Head

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ad...-my-rights

I've been caught by LR approved used Censored a few times and used my rights to get refunds on a used ex management Discovery and a Freelander - go straight to dealer principal and forget the salesmen Evil or Very Mad

If you took finance reject via them for added support Thumbs Up

Yet another thread reminding me why I gave up buying LRs Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #562862 Wed Aug 08 2018 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>