RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L949 buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

J2D

United Kingdom 
L949 buying advice

Been a member for quite a few years and have gained lots of useful info and great advice, I currently own a 2011 Plate RRS, and I’m looking to purchase the newer model, preferably the later 2015 model onwards, with the newer engine.

I have been reading up and I’m aware of the crankshaft issue, and after speaking to a guy at Land Rover, he confirmed the extended warranty won’t cover it, but if the vehicle has a FLRSH and average miles, LR themselves will cover the cost of repair.
Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

The new one has to be White, with the Black 508 22’s, stealth pack, ideally black leather with the white top half, and a Tilt sunroof would be a bonus, are there any other options that are a must?

I have been looking at 16-17 Plate examples, but the prices seem to vary quite a bit. Obviously approved used vehicles are more expensive, but are there any options that effect the 2nd hand prices?

There is a trader near me selling a 17 Plate (link below) I reckon he would take £50k, it doesn’t have the 22’s but seems to good to be true, compared to other similar 17 plate examples I have seen, or am I missing something?

https://www.tradercar.co.uk/used-land-rove...ex-1652196

Also, what are the differences between the HSE and the Autobiography?

Thanks in advance for any advice

John

Post #562649 Sat Aug 04 2018 5:17pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Things like blind spot monitors, adaptive cruise, better stereo, 3 zone climate, panoramic roof come on the autobiography. Have a look at the brochures, though they don't make all the differences that plain. The difference in cost between a HSE and Autobiography is £15k. The extended leather in the autobiography is another thing that made it much nicer for me. I think the HSE (rather than the HSE dynamic) also doesn't come with the air suspension and locking rear differential either.

For me, the one option I would certainly pick is a heated steering wheel. Very cheap, but very nice. I also love the air suspension, but that's expensive.

At the end of the day I wanted quite a few options and it worked out cheaper (monthly) to get the autobiography rather than the HSE dynamic with extras. It also worked out cheaper (monthly) to get a new one than to get one 12 months old.

Three owners and just over 5000 miles? That would make me a bit wary. But looking at the suspension (low) and the body coloured mouldings, it may have an off road pack and some kind of option pack (black pack). You could check with the VIN on topix to see all the features. Compare with others on the land rover site - or try buyacar to get a more realistic finance example. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #562663 Sat Aug 04 2018 9:44pm
BKHK

Australia 

L494 air suspension has access mode which lowers the car when the doors open. My 17 SC is an HSE. It doesn’t have extended leather but the interior is fine, I wouldn’t reject a car based on HSE vs Autobiography but the must have for me is Dynamic pack.

Post #562669 Sat Aug 04 2018 11:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

syl wrote:
I also love the air suspension, but that's expensive.

Eh? All RRS in the UK have air suspension, don't they? Confused 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562679 Sun Aug 05 2018 7:59am
RRSTDV8

Re: L949 buying advice

J2D wrote:

There is a trader near me selling a 17 Plate (link below) I reckon he would take £50k, it doesn’t have the 22’s but seems to good to be true, compared to other similar 17 plate examples I have seen, or am I missing something?

https://www.tradercar.co.uk/used-land-rove...ex-1652196

Also, what are the differences between the HSE and the Autobiography?

Thanks in advance for any advice

John

That has been given a red SPORT badge which would indicate HSE Dynamic but it's just a straight HSE. The lack of low range and Terrain Response 2 shows it doesn't even have the on-off road pack. So it's a base model. Maybe that's why it's cheaper than you expect.

The difference between HSE and Autobiography is "a lot".

As for your question about "must haves" - there are none. It's up to you what is important. Some will like big wheels and black bits, others won't. Some will want the upgraded hifi and adaptive cruise control, others won't. Some will want the off road tech, others won't.

Me? I'd want off road bits, tow bar, small wheels, no shiny black bits, adaptive cruise control, heated wheel, timed climate. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562680 Sun Aug 05 2018 8:08am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I know your after white but if you should change your mind on colour their is this one
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic51745.html

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #562682 Sun Aug 05 2018 8:19am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

what mileage do you do?

If you don't travel much daily, then rather go for the supercharged v8, and have peace of mind wrt reliability. Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #562684 Sun Aug 05 2018 8:33am
Chips

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
syl wrote:

Eh? All RRS in the UK have air suspension, don't they? Confused

Did the 4cyl diesel come with steel springs or am I getting confused with the velar ?

Post #562685 Sun Aug 05 2018 9:14am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

J2D one of the first things you mention is the v6 crankshaft issue, what you need to remember is you must buy the car from an Lr approved used dealer as from people’s experiences on here if the crank breaks & it’s over 3 years old & you didn’t buy it from one of there dealers then they won’t cover it with the supposed good will gesture. If your not bothered about travelling & your quick to move on the ones that you like I’m sure you will pick up a good deal even from a Lr approved dealer. The price spread is huge on these even in the dealer network, around £10-12k from the cheapest to the most expensive usually with similar spec & mileage. Stratstone is usually the cheapest & they normally won’t discount screen prices even without a trade in. Another good tip is if your buying with a pcp & you have a lloyds or Halifax account you can get around 3.9% Apr from them but the car must cost £60k or less.

I had an Hse Dynamic specked exactly as you want, sold it at 14 months old to get an autobiography, trade offers were between £52k & £59k, sold it to a trader for £59, he sold it 2 weeks later for £64. Stratstone offered me £54 & said they would retail it for £59 why when you could easily get mid 60s was my question to them, the answer was they must always be the cheapest so the cars are sold ideally within 2 weeks? All they are doing is driving the used values down as people will pay the higher prices as the other dealer proved. Moral of my story would be buy from Stratstone & sell to anyone else!

Good luck with your search!

Malc

Post #562689 Sun Aug 05 2018 9:53am
syl

United Kingdom 

Sorry - I saw that the off road pack included air suspension, but that's only for the 4cyl. It comes as standard on the others. I think the old SE may have had coil suspension as well before it was dropped. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #562693 Sun Aug 05 2018 11:03am
RRSTDV8

Chips wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
syl wrote:

Eh? All RRS in the UK have air suspension, don't they? Confused

Did the 4cyl diesel come with steel springs or am I getting confused with the velar ?

Velar, I think.

I have a feeling that in some markets, RRS was/is available with coil springs (the D5 is too) but in the UK the RRS is air only. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562696 Sun Aug 05 2018 1:27pm
PIG88

United Kingdom 

UK spec HSE SD4 definitely used to come with coil suspension - extract from Oct 17 brochure attached. I don’t think that engine/spec is available now though.

Post #562718 Sun Aug 05 2018 11:11pm
RRSTDV8

Wow, I'm surprised. Perhaps it didn't sell which is why it's no longer available. Why would anyone buy a coil sprung RRS? Confused 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562724 Mon Aug 06 2018 9:14am
PIG88

United Kingdom 

You’re right - it’s hard to see why someone would buy a new RRS with coil springs.

Having said that, a lot of old P38 Range Rovers and early Discos have been converted to coil springs when the air suspension has given up - but that’s different, it probably makes sense as a less expensive repair option to keep an older vehicle on the road.

Post #562734 Mon Aug 06 2018 11:56am
RRSTDV8

The older ones were converted because the air springs weren't as robust and reliable as the later systems are - they were known to fail, especially in hard off road conditions. There is the whole "you can't fix it with a big hammer and swearing" attitude at play too.

Modern air springs are encased in a metal box and much less prone to damage off road than old ones that had the rubber bag fully exposed. Indeed, the air springs are probably the most reliable bits of a modern Land Rover...ironic, eh? Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #562736 Mon Aug 06 2018 1:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>