RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Electrical gremlin or easy fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sestorious

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black
Electrical gremlin or easy fix

Been having “intermittent” air suspension fault warnings and I put it down to NSF height sensor as that’s what the code reader said and on my lcd screen the level sensor icon drops when the fault rears its head. My bad at the minute, but I’ve not got round to changing it yet.

Now, the car battery has been flat twice in last few weeks and I’ve had to jump it. Yes, it’s gets used very rarely but the battery was brand new in last 12 months ?

Also when I’m driving down the road, for no reason, the low power mode on the stereo kicks in ???

Is the suspect height sensor, low power mode on stereo and the flat battery linked?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all

Post #559062 Fri Jun 15 2018 8:22pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Short journeys and infrequent use won't be very good for your battery. As a relatively cheap start, I would splash out on a Ctek battery charger, give it a recondition and then a top up every so often. If you have 13 pin tow electrics (white plug under tow cover) and park it off road, you can get an adapter and leave it plugged in to charge overnight.
When my battery died I had all sorts of warning lights come on.
If that doesn't fix it at least you have eliminated that possibility.

https://www.disco4.com/shop/tow-electrics-...c-p45.html

Post #559096 Sat Jun 16 2018 7:53am
sestorious

Thanks for your reply. The suspension issue came before the battery issue quite a while before. I’ve had it plugged in and the nsf height sensor was the fault. It just seems strange that now the battery has been flat twice and the radio keeps going in to low power mode even though the car is running ?

Post #559105 Sat Jun 16 2018 8:58am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Re: Electrical gremlin or easy fix

sestorious wrote:
Been having “intermittent” air suspension fault warnings and I put it down to NSF height sensor as that’s what the code reader said and on my lcd screen the level sensor icon drops when the fault rears its head. My bad at the minute, but I’ve not got round to changing it yet.

Now, the car battery has been flat twice in last few weeks and I’ve had to jump it. Yes, it’s gets used very rarely but the battery was brand new in last 12 months ?

Also when I’m driving down the road, for no reason, the low power mode on the stereo kicks in ???

Is the suspect height sensor, low power mode on stereo and the flat battery linked?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all

Low Batteries can cause all sorts of strange errors and problems. Its a good idea to make sure that your electrics are in good health before starting to spend too much money elsewhere. So check the battery and as Oldandconfused says, give it a good charge. If it is old it may well need replacing and if it is relatively new, get the alternator checked.

Other things that have been reported here are the brake light switch (easy and cheap to replace) and make sure you have good quality bulbs in the rear lights - especially brake lights. Yes, I know it sounds screwy but weird faults have been reported fixed by replacing a faulty bulb.

Of course it could still be suspension especially as you have a code that confirms it but checking the battery and alternator costs little to nothing so may be worth a try anyway. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #559129 Sat Jun 16 2018 1:16pm
sestorious

Just checked the battery & alternator. Alternator is spot on but battery that is an 830 is at about 538 and it said it’s 48%. It’s date was 08-04-17 so only a year old. Had it fitted bout 6/8 months ago. My mate who fitted it at his garage is just going to replace under warranty. Still think the height sensor needs changing so I’ll get that done too !

Post #559133 Sat Jun 16 2018 2:05pm
Eaters

Thumbs Up Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #559135 Sat Jun 16 2018 2:25pm
sestorious

So I had the height sensor replaced and that fault has gone.

BUT, had a brand new battery fitted again under warranty that had a date of 04/07/18 and alternator checked and that was reading >14 volts AND, the lower power mode STILL comes on the stereo even when car is and has been running ???

What could be causing that please ?

Post #562159 Fri Jul 27 2018 7:47pm
sestorious

Sorry to bump but can anyone help ?

We are at the end of our tether ? It’s lasting 2/3/4 days ands it’s flat AGAIN !

Post #562502 Thu Aug 02 2018 4:27pm
Eaters

Sorry that no one else has come forward but if you can put up with my musings a bit more...

So, just to clarify (and ignoring for the moment the "low Power mode" of the stereo), your problem is now that leaving the car for a few days only to find that the battery has gone dead - Yes? And the battery is new, and the alternator's OK - Yes?

If I've got this right then I'd be looking for a drain of power when the car is left. I think the way to check this (but I'm no auto electrician so I'd try researching it a bit) is - after switching off the car and leaving it for say 20 mins to make sure everything that should have shut down, has - to disconnect a terminal from the battery and put an ammeter in series between that cable and the battery terminal s that you can see how many amps if any are discharging. I'd get an expert to do this. In theory the reading should be nothing much - only maybe the alarm system. I've no idea how much drain the alarm would be but not a lot, and as all of us have the same system the alarm on its own should not be draining the battery. Hopefully you'd see a much higher amperage which would indicate that something else was causing the drain. The next challenge would be to find out what is causing the drain which I think might involve a lot of taking out fuses to see if that stopped the drain.

Stereo Message - Quite why, if you have a good alternator, you are getting low power messages when the car is running escapes me I'm afraid. Could a loose earth somewhere be giving an intermittent fault???

Forgive me if this is teaching grannie to suck eggs but in the absence of other ideas I thought I'f chuck another two-pennyworth in. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #562506 Thu Aug 02 2018 5:40pm
sestorious

Thank u for the reply !

I understand exactly wat you are saying and that’s wat my mechanic friend will be looking to do I think !

Wats confusing us is that the battery is brand new and the alternator is charging correctly >14 volts. There doesn’t “seem” to be a problem there so to us something is draining but the question is wat and why ???

I can handle most defects with RRs as this is my third, but when it comes to electrical defects that are hard to find it drives me insane !

I love my car but I’m already looking at leaving the family again as this brand has given me some right headaches!

Post #562512 Thu Aug 02 2018 7:00pm
sestorious

Just found something about the upper tail gate switch being faulty can cause battery drain??? Is this right ???

If so my upper tail gate switch has stopped working so I can’t open it.

Could this be a possible cause???

It says it will be constantly pulling power as the connection is rusty and it doesn’t turn off ?

Post #562534 Thu Aug 02 2018 9:21pm
Eaters

Aha!

This might help... http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic27872.html

I was looking through my copy of the workshop manual to see if there was a specific fuse listed that you could remove to see if the battery drain is still there but I can't see one. The "Tailgate Power Striker" is fuse 65 behind the glove compartment and I suppose it might be connected to that. Alternatively the Central Door Locking is fuse 49. Presumably with a bit of fiddling you could put a multimeter between the terminals of fuse holder 49 (keeping the fuse in the circuit somehow for safety) to see if there is any current drain there. Be very careful if you do and a member of this forum Censored his central processor with an inadvertent slip and is cost a fortune to fix

Or maybe easier just to change the tail glass switch... Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #562548 Fri Aug 03 2018 6:53am
sestorious

I’ve ordered a new switch.

Removed the old one this morning. I’m going to fit the new one and give the car a good run to recharge the battery.

Then I’m going to leave it for a few days see if it drains.

I’ll let know mate !

Post #562599 Fri Aug 03 2018 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1