RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Newbie advice please. 3.0 OR 3.6 diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

The Autogroup were £750 for two years when I joined back in March. Good guys to talk to, based in Stevenage or thereabouts. Wear & tear included until 100,000 miles or 8 years old. Thumbs Up

Post #562009 Wed Jul 25 2018 2:53pm
PompeyDave

United Kingdom 

Sounds good but mine is already 8 years old.

Post #562011 Wed Jul 25 2018 3:06pm
glennp123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Firenze Red

As far as the 3/6TDv8 engine goes i love it... i had the turbos fail on me in March however.. cost £1800 to replace them.. but if it doesnt give me any other bother then its worth it.

I wonder if the engine oil used in the 3.6TDV8 engine was of a better quality in terms of high temps etc would it be worth running on it? I know when i had an Evo i always ran Fuchs racing oil in it and never had any bother.. the turbos would have been temperamental like the 3.6's turbos if not allowed to cool down properly then the thrust bearing took alot of abuse... thus through time causing them to fail. Any thoughts?

Post #562022 Wed Jul 25 2018 6:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

£1800 to replace both turbos seems amazingly cheap! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #562024 Wed Jul 25 2018 6:15pm
glennp123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Firenze Red

Yeah it was £970 for both recond turbos, then rest labour.. body off etc .. It def helps if it has been done a few times!

Post #562025 Wed Jul 25 2018 6:26pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

PompeyDave wrote:
Cheers guys. I looked at Warranty Direct, but they want nearly £1200 a year, with a £250 excess. Would rather put that kind of money away in a savings account.

I just renewed with them, my online quote was £1370 with 30% parts contribution and £50 excess. Got it down to £700 with no contribution and £50 excess. Confirmed snapped crankshaft cover. Call them, they'll talk. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #562029 Wed Jul 25 2018 7:16pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

PompeyDave wrote:
Cheers guys. I looked at Warranty Direct, but they want nearly £1200 a year, with a £250 excess. Would rather put that kind of money away in a savings account.

Ridiculous mate. Steve.

Post #562034 Wed Jul 25 2018 8:29pm
GodivaNige

England 

glennp123 wrote:
As far as the 3/6TDv8 engine goes i love it... i had the turbos fail on me in March however.. cost £1800 to replace them.. but if it doesnt give me any other bother then its worth it.

I wonder if the engine oil used in the 3.6TDV8 engine was of a better quality in terms of high temps etc would it be worth running on it? I know when i had an Evo i always ran Fuchs racing oil in it and never had any bother.. the turbos would have been temperamental like the 3.6's turbos if not allowed to cool down properly then the thrust bearing took alot of abuse... thus through time causing them to fail. Any thoughts?

High quality synthetic engine oil will certainly help, along with replacement of oil on time, or better still, more frequently than service regimes suggest. The problem with oil cooled turbos is that whilst oil is flowing when the engine is running, all is well. It’s when the engine is switched off and the oil in the turbo stops flowing that carbonising occurs, within the hottest parts of the turbo. After enough carbon has built up, oil flow is restricted and bearings become tight leading to turbo failure. Hence the well known practice of allowing a turbo to cool at tickover before switching off. Turbos get hotter under load, so removing the load whilst still having oil flowing through the turbo for a couple of minutes, helps to minimise oil carbonising within.

My local indy has changed many 3.6 turbos and claims that most were due to lazy servicing. Either not done on time or using cheap oil and oil filters.

Post #562053 Thu Jul 26 2018 7:22am
PompeyDave

United Kingdom 

I restore Lambretta scooters as a hobby, and the principle is very similar. The old adage of ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ is true in almost every case.

Post #562058 Thu Jul 26 2018 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123