RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Battery problems or not ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Lindab

United Kingdom 

Looks like my battery may need replacing. Went out this morning after its been sitting for a week, low battery, start engine, one half hearted turn of starter then nothing. Low battery sign again, tried another couple of times, same result. Put it on Ctek & 4 lights came on very quickly. Left it for about 30 mins then thought I should have checked voltage. Switched off Ctek, checked voltage at under bonnet terminals, just over 11volts. So that's low, so back on Ctek as I don't want it to start, get to where I'm going then it doesn't restart.
Anyway with only 11 volts showing & as its been saying low battery for a while, I think its battery time unless anyone say's different
1. Where is the main battery situated, is it easy to get to. I am ok with spanners. Anything to watch out for? or should I just head up to Disco Mikey as he is in the same town as me
2. Where is the best/cheapest place to get one. What make should I go for, don't want cheap that needs replaced soon. As the car has only done about 7000miles it will be kept for a while
Sad

Post #561237 Thu Jul 12 2018 9:46am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

tell us what year the car is.

petrol/diesel

Post #561242 Thu Jul 12 2018 11:05am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

November 2014 Diesel Sport
Also I have found the battery in the boot, nightmare removing the spare wheel.
Can anyone tell me what the plastic dome thong is under the spare wheel. It is attached to the battery clamp by the looks of things and comes off with it (I think) however there is plastic tubing & some wiring going to it. I don't know if they are attached to it or go under it

Post #561252 Thu Jul 12 2018 12:23pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The suspension compressor is mounted in the spare wheel well with the battery, when I had a flat battery last October the LR Assist tech that came out was keen to know if he could get access to the jump start pins under the bonnet as that was much easier than trying to get at the battery in the boot as the compressor has to be removed (or maybe just the air storage tank) but it isn’t straight forward 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Jul 12 2018 4:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #561257 Thu Jul 12 2018 1:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Managed to remove it, brute force. Censored Held on with 2 screws & 2 locating tabs on right hand side which took a fair bit of force to slide out. Was concerned about that "dome". The wires & tubing do go into it. New battery ordered, then fun & games putting it all back together. Can't wait. Big Cry Better be the battery, but sure it is, just checked after about 5 hrs on ctek its showing 11.9volts. Ordered from Euro Car Parts, if ordered by 3pm its same day delivery. Order went through with 2 mins to spare. Fingers crossed Whistle
Whoever designed the spare wheel removal tool needs to try using it Censored My previous sport had it underneath & you wound it up & down

Post #561261 Thu Jul 12 2018 2:17pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Which battery are you replacing? You are aware there are 2!!!!

Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #561262 Thu Jul 12 2018 2:40pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Sorry,

Just read earlier part of the thread!!!! You ARE aware there are 2 batteries.

Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #561263 Thu Jul 12 2018 2:44pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Battery delivered at 4.30, ordered at 2.58. They said if ordered by 3pm it was same day delivery. I thought it was cutting it a bit fine so would not be concerned if it was next day. Not to be, their guy phoned me about 3.30pm & asked when I would be available for delivery, I said I would be in all day so just arrange it to suit yourselves. Fantastic service, first time I have used them, but would not hesitate to use them again Very Happy Very Happy The new battery weighs a ton
Next question folks, when I disconnect the old one will I loose all settings, ie radio, seats etc. Will alarm go mental & will Land Rover remote be activated as a possible theft.
Will leave it till tomorrow & build myself up to putting that Censored spare wheel back Shocked Sad

Post #561273 Thu Jul 12 2018 4:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Put the In Control Remote security into “service” mode before disconnecting the battery if you don’t want a phone call to say your car has lost communication with the control centre! Cannot remember how to do it but it is in the owner’s manual. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #561275 Thu Jul 12 2018 4:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Battery saga continues
To double check I had the Ctek on for about 15 hrs. All light were on including green, so checked voltage 11.9, so its finished
I was concerned about having to reset every thing if I disconnected the battery, so Idea moment. I ran a set of jump leads from new battery to the charge points under the bonnet, then disconnected old battery (covered the + connector with a gardening glove to prevent a short). Removed the old battery & put it beside the new one. connected another set of jump leads from old battery to the jump leads attached to the new one, then disconnected the jump leads from the new battery. this ensured there was a continuous current with no interruption. Very Happy
Fitted new battery, connected it up, disconnected the jump leads from the charge points.
Jumped in, pressed button, seat & steering wheel moved into correct position & brrm brrm, started. Let it run for a couple of mins, checked voltage, 13,6 Very Happy
Switched off then Sad the Censored low battery warning came on Big Cry
Went for 30 mile run, came back Censored low battery warning (apologies to sensitive readers about the Censored )
So I guess the secondary battery is goosed.
Can someone tell me the spec or model number for this one as when I try to find it, its only the main 95ah 850cca one that seems to come up

Post #561319 Fri Jul 13 2018 12:36pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

these later cars have some kind of charge monitor.

So the computer probably doesn't know a new charged battery has been fitted (maybe not helped by the jump leads / no disconnection) so displays low voltage (even though battery could be fine)

The ctek should also be connected as a certain point, so the computer knows a charge is going in

Do some research on here

Post #561320 Fri Jul 13 2018 12:54pm
Tim in Scotland

Check your Auto Stop/Start battery is fully charged and not dead too - my experience was that was what was giving me Low Battery - Start Engine warnings on the dash. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #561330 Fri Jul 13 2018 4:44pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Update to this saga. Left replying for a couple of weeks in case I was tempting fate. Disco Mikey told me the BMS should be reset after a battery change so I thought that I would go to see him before replacing the secondary battery. The car was left sitting for a few days as I had other things on, then I took it out & low & behold the stop/start has started working, no low battery warning, seems fine. Maybe it resets itself after a period of time (who knows, bring back the days of points, plugs, timing & carbs when you were always able to get your car going) Big Cry Very Happy
Hopefully that's it & thanks for the input Thumbs Up

Post #562558 Fri Aug 03 2018 9:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12