RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Automatic Stop/Start thing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

chrisjsw

United Kingdom 
Automatic Stop/Start thing

Hi All.......new owner here...2015 RRS, Loire Blue, 3.0 V6 and loving it.

I'm sure its been asked before, is there a way to disable the automatic stop/start function, its doing my head in ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Post #561121 Tue Jul 10 2018 2:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes there is a button on the Centre console that inhibits it, why though, it is a great thing once you get used to it and use it properly. You can stop it cutting in by only putting very light pressure on the footbrake instead of mashing the pedal into the carpet, but also if you stop and keep the brake pedal pressed, engage EPB, put gear selector to N then you can take you foot off the brake and the engine stays stopped until you re-engage D , when the lights change just drive off. It win’t Work with high or low ambient air temperatures and the engine will cut back in if the 2nd battery starts to get low on charge.
If you press the console button then next time you start the car from cold it will reset to Auto, you gave to press the button every time you start up after parking up. The button has like a circulating arrow with an A overlaid on it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #561123 Tue Jul 10 2018 3:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Re: Automatic Stop/Start thing

chrisjsw wrote:
I'm sure its been asked before, is there a way to disable the automatic stop/start function, its doing my head in ?

I don't have it on my RRS but on my Jaguar XF I disconnected the smaller 2nd battery (insulated the terminal well) and this stops the annoying stop/start. I can't see why the RRS would be any different.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #561135 Tue Jul 10 2018 6:56pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Works well on my SVR with, as Tim says, different pressure on the brake depending on whether you want it to stop or not. Could never get it to work like this on an XF I had though.

Still, give it a few months and the battery will not have the charge so the Stop/Start will stop working anyway. 

Post #561141 Tue Jul 10 2018 7:38pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
have had a few cars now with stop/start (RRS, mini, Mondeo, passat) and found them all great once used to them never turn the mini or RRS off with the button
as Tim says with the RRS if your gentle on the brake as you come to a stop engine keeps running, good if your moving forward in traffic slowly and don't want it to auto stop/start, looks like your going to be there a bit longer, press brake a bit more or hit "P" and it stops

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #561143 Tue Jul 10 2018 7:50pm
Springer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Rimini Red

was told by my local dealership that due to new build regs the vehicle default is to have it enabled. you then only have the function of manually disabling by using the button as described above.

Post #561208 Wed Jul 11 2018 4:09pm
IRBails

Australia 

Check the price of a new Range Rover starter motor and see if you think it is a good thing. Most wear occurs when you start a motor. Bad idea for those who care about the car. VW and Audi can be programmed to be off all time , and turned on when required. A diesel should not be stopped and started long haul trucks leave the motor running when stopped as it is better for engine wear. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #561232 Thu Jul 12 2018 1:36am
BKHK

Australia 

Interesting that it’s on the SVR, it’s not on the SC.

Post #561233 Thu Jul 12 2018 3:17am
Cornishman

United Kingdom 

Agree with IRBalls, also it used to be the case that diesel engines need to over fuel on starting up hardly good for the engine nor the enviroment. Sorry new to this forum ,always followed it as previous RR was 4.4 V8 petrol , now MY 16 V 6 diesel RRS. Fine so far !

Post #561238 Thu Jul 12 2018 10:10am
james5599

United Kingdom 

It’s pointless to have it in the Svr .....it’s the first thing I switch off upon starting .

Like the Ferrari hele system - high emotion low emission - oh Fck off Very Happy

Buy a diesel if you want economy . 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #561240 Thu Jul 12 2018 10:55am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The concern I have about stop/start is the turbo. Come off a bit of fast road - say a motorway - where the turbo has been spinning for some time and is likely to be very hot. Get to the roundabout on the exit slip road and the engine stops straight away as you come to a halt. Is this any good for the turbo, long term? I like to let a turbo "cool down" a bit when I switch off. Or is the few seconds the engine is off not likely to be a problem for the turbo? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #561245 Thu Jul 12 2018 11:43am
mlines

United Kingdom 

I understood that the issues with Turbos (in the early days) was that they have a pressurised oil feed to the bearings (so the turbo effectively floats in the bearing reducing friction and wear). When the engine switches off but the Turbo has not spun down then it would keep spinning with much reduced lubrication.

I guess that they must have found a solution to maintaining oil pressure to the bearings or changed the way they work? However a friend had a seal failure on his Merc recently that showed itself as high pressure oil spraying from the turbo casing so some turbos must still have this lubrication. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #561247 Thu Jul 12 2018 11:54am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is a system that some cars including Land Rovers have that will continue circulating the turbo lubricant/ coolant after switching the engine off - sometimes you can hear it aftervstopping and getting out - like a fan running in the engine compartment. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #561248 Thu Jul 12 2018 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not sure that's true Tim. LR's engines all use mechanically driven oil pumps, I think. If they had an electric one like that, why bother with the mechanical pump? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #561254 Thu Jul 12 2018 12:27pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
if you don't want it to Auto stop/start just feather the brake as you come to a stop and hold it with light pressure, engine does not stop and no need to press the button to turn it off
if you do want it to turn off press brake a bit harder or select Park
You can still control when it works

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #561424 Sun Jul 15 2018 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>