RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Offroad tracks Royal style
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

HughN

Wales 

'Fraid not.

I rang around and third-party offroad insurance was only available as part of a whole policy, not as an add-on. My current insurer suggested I take out such a policy and then cancel it after the event, paying the two admin fees to do so. That sounded a bit iffy.

If you are only on green lanes - in theory - normal insurance covers it because you are on a public right of way, but you'd have to check your policy.

A couple of years ago, I cross-axled my wife's disco on Salisbury Plain and a branch went through a rear window (the only tree for miles). Like an idiot, and against my advice, my wife rang her insurers to see if it was covered. Even though the answer was 'no', this was recorded as a claim and no amount of argument changed their mind - her premium went up.[/u]

Post #552934 Mon Apr 02 2018 8:52am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Do be very careful reading your policy because all the usual discounters often have wording to the effect that if you are driving on an unclassified or unsurfaced road (ie one that has no tarred surface) then your policy is void. I only know of one right of way that would count as being surfaced (it is cobbled for much of its 20mile length) but then you also have the issue that as it is also one of General Wade’s military roads built in the 18th centuary it is also an historic monument and recently was closed to 4x4 vehicles because a few thoughtless drivers were ripping it up with way too aggressive tyres........... then the local council tried to relay the cobbles but didn’t have the expertise of General Wade and in the first heavy downpour the water ran under the plastic sheeting that they laid the cobbles on and the whole lot lifted up and washed down the slope and it was worse than before they relaid it! ROW is only passable by walkers now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #552953 Mon Apr 02 2018 1:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Why not talk to a track day insurer? They might be able to look at it as a similar type of risk - although off roading should be less risky as speeds (and thus energy in any incident) are much lower. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #552973 Mon Apr 02 2018 5:23pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

called the insurer and they said that its covered but I am not certain if they understood the full scenario, will try a track day insurance provider, or cancel the booking, could be too late for a refund.

Post #553017 Tue Apr 03 2018 6:35am
ianmo

United Kingdom 

I went with Adrian Flux, but my insurance was due for renewal anyway, most insurers I got quotes from would not insure for off road use, including A Plan who I was with (plus they doubled the premium).

Post #553092 Tue Apr 03 2018 6:53pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Ended up cancelling which is very unfortunate as i was looking forward to it for a while. Big Cry

Post #553179 Wed Apr 04 2018 2:13pm
ianmo

United Kingdom 

Just booked into the hotel in Ballater, Looking forward to tomorrows event Thumbs Up

Post #555256 Sat Apr 28 2018 5:02pm
Tim in Scotland

Could have saved you some miles - i’m over in Forfar to drive some new routes with the Scottish green Road club in the Sport on private estate roads in the area. Hope that you have a great day tomorrow, weather looks promising - sunny if not hot! Sat in the hotel dining room having dinner and there was a sound like thunder outside the hotel on the A94 so when I had finished I went out to see what was making all the noise - it seems the local Ford Mustang owners are out for a meal and to show off their metal -a couple of LHD cars as well as UK spec but the cars making the noise were 4.6 S/C’s so American spec I think, I thought that European versions were 2.3ltr V6’s or 5.0ltr V8’s

BTW, you didn’t get passed heading north on the A9 by a convoy of big SUV’s including a FFRR LWB, a Bentaya, what I think might have been a de-badged lightly disguised Lamborghini SUV and a heavily disguised A.N.Other in the middle of the convoy which could only have been a Rolls Royce Cullinan it was so vast and had a “Flying Lady” mascot...... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #555267 Sat Apr 28 2018 6:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I managed to get a ticket for the morning Bamoral run on 8th July. So I’ve tied it up with a trip to my daughters place north of Aberdeen. So we travel north next Monday, and the Booked the Saturday night at the Huntley Arms in Aboyne near Balmoral. Really excited about my tour of the Estate. A chance like this doesn’t come up every day.

BTW thinking about Tim’s trips “down South” I found a hotel in Aysgarth Falls a short walk from the waterfall which we use as a staging post on our trips from Sussex to Aberdeenshire. Not especially cheap but really nice and something to look forward to, to break the journey.

Just need the RRS to behave itself now. It currently has suspension complaining bitterly but I hope the indie will confirm nothing worse than dry bushes when it goes in tomorrow afternoon. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #559953 Tue Jun 26 2018 3:22pm
Eaters

Just back from our trip to Scotland.

Balmoral Castle run was really good. About as tough off road as I would want o go in my own car Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A great day out Thumbs Up Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #561022 Mon Jul 09 2018 3:03pm
Tim in Scotland

What do you mean as rough as you want to go, that’s nearly a motorway compared to most Scottish back roads........I bet the car looked like it had been in the outback by the time you had finished the day! Yesterday was probably a better day for the run too as it was a little cooler up here than it has been of late. One thing for sure, not many non-royals have a photo of their car parked in front of a royal palace’s front door! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #561025 Mon Jul 09 2018 3:21pm
Eaters

Haha - I've just spent a week with my daughter near New Dear, North Aberdeenshire. The roads there are like a billiard table compared to what Kent and Sussex councils like to call roads.

After my half day LR Experience recently I had a better idea of what to expect - and the Balmoral tracks were not as extreme as LR Honiton. But it was great fun and the scenery was amazing. The tour included visiting a couple of the Royal family's quiet bolt holes amongst their 55,000 acres and wifey got to sit on the Queens favourite seat overlooking a small pond. Made her day!

You're right about the car. But its Royal Dust! Not sure if its treason to wash it off Shocked Very Happy - so its still there even though I am now back in Sussex.

You could be right about the parking as a visitor to the castle asked me how come I could park where I did when they had to park in the public car park!! "It's not what you know it's who you know" - and in my case it was a certain Tim from Scotland who gave us the heads up about this event. Thanks Tim Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #561028 Mon Jul 09 2018 4:07pm
Tim in Scotland

You weren’t trying very hard with the dust......

Click image to enlarge

OK so it wasn’t Royal Dust mine was Argyll dust.
And talking of. Balmoral I saw a rather stunning new shade of blue on an 18 plate RRS yesterday - Balmoral Blue Ultra Gloss, very very nice and much nicer than it looks on the configurator 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #561030 Mon Jul 09 2018 4:13pm
Eaters

Nice one - in mitigation, mine has had 650 miles of motorway driving to blow some away.

And how about this for a TDV8?

(sorry, can't rotate it via the site so lie on one side)

Click image to enlarge

And yes I know that it lies. But that should still equate to 29 or 30 mpg!!!! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #561031 Mon Jul 09 2018 4:18pm
Springer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Did the afternoon on the 8th. Glad you left some Royal Dust for me.

Post #561846 Mon Jul 23 2018 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>