RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > 2015/16 - 65 plate RRS - Cat Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DrRick

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Maya Gold
2015/16 - 65 plate RRS - Cat Failure

So, over the weekend, my wife texted me to say there was an oil light on the car. Now I'm not there right at the moment, but after a bit of digging it turns out that it was the red EML light. Normally that wouldn't cause any concerns, but given the car: 2015/16 - 65 plate, LR Approved Used under warranty, just over 20k miles, I figured just call it in to LR Assist and let them sort it out.

AA-man turned up, plugged in and ID'd a few faults. I'm not there to read the report, but essentially he reported that the cats had failed and (subsequently) so had the NOX sensors.

The car has an easy life, we bought it for space to replace our D4 because we don't like the D5 (looks or price). It gets a few longer / high speed runs every other week, otherwise its the stereotypical mum car. We've had no messages about Ad-Blue or oil or anything, and its got a full LR history, we've had it less than 6mths.

Is there a history of cat issues with these cars? I've not found anything following a cursory round of Google-Fu. What I have seen is a few indicators of why cats fail, clogged or poisoned are the phrases I see, plus valves or plugs being a problem.

I need the car up and running on Friday, the techies at the local main dealer apparently need 2 days to diagnose. Does anyone think I'll have the car back by Friday?

Post #559682 Sun Jun 24 2018 9:08am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
may depend on parts supply more than anything and if the warranty company decide its a "known fault" so wont cover it Evil or Very Mad

Have they not been able to sort you a loan car ?

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #559705 Sun Jun 24 2018 1:44pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Am I right in thinking it was registered after 1/9/16, if so it's still under manufacturers warranty so nothing to do with the Approved warranty. That being the case, unless LR say you've damaged it, it's down to them to put it right.
I take it they are providing you with a courtesy car?

Post #559711 Sun Jun 24 2018 2:28pm
DrRick

Date first registered was 07/12/2015.
I'm just dealing with LR Assist under the Approved Used part of things.
Trying to arrange a courtesy car (sensible sized one) is taxing my stress levels.
1) AA say we'll have to get the car to LR as we're too close for them to recover on our behalf.
2) LR Assist say we'll have to phone up to arrange a replacement.
3) I call and am told no, it's a separate 3rd party who arrange the car, who will bring a courtesy car to me, then take our car away. But because it's post 1800, they'll leave the car next to LR outside the bollards overnight (told them liability is theirs if that's the case)
4) I'm then told that it used to be 3rd party, now in house, they don't belong me a car and the car will have to be one from the local dealers pool, and I have to get to them.
5) Then told the courtesy car people don't have my technician report so can't progress anything.
6) Then told that they have my report, but as it's Sunday the hire people will need to call back and it may be Monday before any action. But, they can do prepaid taxis if we need assistance in the mean time.
7) Now car hire people are taking literally an hour, after booking us into their insurance system, to 'find out what cars are available'. If there aren't any in the local LR they'll go to the 3rd party (that's doesn't exist).

I'm not sure they know what they're doing.

Post #559713 Sun Jun 24 2018 2:44pm
DrRick

They called back.

Yay, we get a Vogue

Boo, it's from 1700 tomorrow with prepaid taxi beforehand.
And a taxi pre-booked for Friday in case they can't return ours in time for the holidays

Post #559717 Sun Jun 24 2018 3:05pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

When I had a problem with my12 red edition I called LR assist Sunday morning at 8.30,,at 9.30 LR/AA/RAC techy turned up & booked me into LR at York for 3pm I turned up at 3 pm & had to wait till 3.30 for the hire company which turned up with a newish Jag 2.0 diesel.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #559725 Sun Jun 24 2018 3:52pm
DrRick

They'll probably explain it away as a function of being Edinburgh.

I should say thank you for them talking to me at all. Wink

Premium car not equal totally premium service

Post #559728 Sun Jun 24 2018 4:01pm
Oldandconfused

Is the pre-paid taxi to take you to the airport? If so saves the worry of leaving your car there. If it's for a holiday driving in the UK I'd wait until I had the keys and tell them they can have it back when yours is fixed. That being said, Iv'e never owned a LR in warranty so don't know how things work, my most recent new car was a Honda Civic, no need of the warranty there then.

Post #559760 Sun Jun 24 2018 7:50pm
DrRick

Hopefully they'll keep our car, and I can cancel the parking and get my £80 back.

Post #559762 Sun Jun 24 2018 8:26pm
Oldandconfused

One of the members on here left his car at the dealers while on holiday and came back to damaged rims and 40 plus miles on it. If it's not gone yet I would be inclined to take lots of pictures of it's condition, just in case.

Post #559787 Mon Jun 25 2018 8:17am
DrRick

To be fair, someone (i.e. not me in the household) has already pre-dinged all the alloys. That being said, I think I'll get my wife to go round the car and take photos of everything.

Good point, well made.

Post #559792 Mon Jun 25 2018 10:00am
DrRick

Right, progress -ish.

Yesterday my wife headed to our local dealer, as instructed by Land Rover Assist, to collect a courtesy car and deliver our car. Due to our circumstances, our car couldn't be recovered, so my wife drove the 8miles with two children in rush hour and a car with the EML light lit due to failed cats and NOx sensors.

Having left from school pickup she got there 1615 to be met by blank faces. LR didn't know why she was there, either to pick up a car or drop off our one. She was made to feel in the wrong, primarily because we didn't buy the car from that dealership. She's a bright lady, so this isn't a snowflake moment.

I was in meetings but missed a call which turned out to be Thrifty car hire. They told me they were on their way to drop a car off at 1700. What turned up was an 18-plate RR Autobiography SDV8 with 1100 miles on the clock. Ticket price £125,000. That's some fecking hire car!! And no I'm not complaining. That being said, due tot he value, my wife has refused to drive it, so I've taken it on the commute.

So, we're now in the 2-day diagnostic window. We'll see what they come back with.

As we're dueto fly out on holiday for 2wks, and LR don't want the courtesy car / hire car sat in an airport carpark for 2wks, we've got LR to preemptively book taxis for us from Edinburgh to Glasgow and back. All in it's possible that when this warranty work is done, it'll come out at around the £4,500-£5,000 mark. Which is nuts.

I'm not convinced LR Assist / Customer Care really know what they're doing, but we're getting there. Maybe.

Post #559897 Tue Jun 26 2018 9:04am
syl

United Kingdom 

I recently had a problem with my car (a snapped £1 bolt - that required the engine to be taken out to drill it out and replace). The car replacement was the most poorly set up part of the whole recovery/repair, with them first not knowing what they had, then when they did find out they had a Jaguar available at the dealership, not being able to get the car to me nor allow me to come and pick it up outside office hours (which is when I work too). RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #559906 Tue Jun 26 2018 10:23am
DrRick

Sounds familiar.

Their initial plan was to drop a car, take our car and abandon it outside the secure parking as the dealership was closed with no one being available to lower the bollards. I told them that if this was the case, liability would be on them.

I think the whole thing is a shambles.

Post #559908 Tue Jun 26 2018 10:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1