RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Battery problems or not ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Lindab

United Kingdom 
Battery problems or not ?

I have my2015 Range rover Sport which isn't used much, about once a week (6000miles) but is regularly hooked up to a ctek charger. Last week it sat for about 3-4 days not on the charger. When I took it out of the garage & switched it off it said battery low, start car. I stuck it on ctek which immediately lit up 4 lights which meant it was good to start. I left it for a couple of hours & it showed full charge with the green light on which makes me think the battery was ok as when the battery is low it takes about 12 hrs to get up to the green light. It did the same again this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, is the battery finished or ?. Suggestions welcome

Post #558403 Thu Jun 07 2018 6:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

That warning is usually for the auto stop/start battery not the main car engine battery - take the car for a 15-20 mile run to recharge the stop/start system battery and then try operating the auto stop/start system and it should work fine whereas if you tried to use it with the warning showing it wouldn’t auto stop/start. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #558408 Thu Jun 07 2018 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lindab

United Kingdom 

I did just that this afternoon, about a 30mile fast run & noticed the stop/start did not happen when I returned home which made me think there was a battery problem. I did not realise there were 2 batteries. Do you know where the stop/start one is situated, then I could check the voltage. Thanks for that.

Post #558435 Thu Jun 07 2018 9:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don’t know where it is but Disco_Mikey will! If your aircon was running a lot it is possible that it was putting too much load on the systems for stop/start to work - i’ve Noticed that in my car the stop/stat will restart the engine within a few seconds of stopping if the aircon is blasting out cold air in traffic, also if it was really hot (I cannot remembervthe uppervtemperature limit) outside then it won’t work anyway like in cold weather stop start won’t work below a set temperature because thenload is too high for the reserve battery. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #558452 Fri Jun 08 2018 8:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PEACHY

England 

The stop start battery is located behind a trim panel on the right hand side in the luggage compartment. I had a dash cam fitted & the numpty used it as the main power supply Rolling Eyes - hence within a week it was totally flat. I removed it & recharged it with the CTEK - its been spot on since - be careful the battery lugs are not that strong & over tightening the connectors will split them Big Cry

Peachy. 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #558453 Fri Jun 08 2018 8:21am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not sure if this may be of some use as well.

OVERVIEW - DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM VEHICLES WITH STOP/START SYSTEM.
Two batteries are fitted to accommodate the dual battery system used for the all markets vehicles with stop/start
system.
A primary battery is located in the luggage compartment floor in a plastic molded tray and clamped in position by the
air suspension air supply unit.
On stop/start system vehicles, the secondary battery is located in the right side of the luggage compartment on a
battery support tray and secured with a strap bolted to the tray.
The primary battery is a 90Ahr, 850CCA Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Valve Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) battery
on all vehicles.
The secondary battery is a 14Ahr, 200CCA AGM battery on all vehicles with stop/start (except TDV6 3.0L cold
climate vehicles).
The auxiliary battery is a 70Ah, 760CCA, AGM battery, in TDV6 3.0L cold climate vehicles with stop/start
system ONLY.
A BMS control module is mounted on the primary battery negative terminal. The BMS control module is integral with
the battery negative cable and is controlled by the GWM.
The secondary battery is not fitted with a BMS control module.
CAUTION: To avoid damaging the BMS control module, always use the ground (negative (-)) terminal stud point
on the right side top mount in the engine compartment. Never connect directly to the primary battery negative
terminal when connecting a slave power supply to the vehicle, the BMS control module can be damaged.

Cheers
Col

Post #558455 Fri Jun 08 2018 8:33am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone, will try to have a look at it later today

Post #558457 Fri Jun 08 2018 9:14am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Peachy
There is a piece of trim which forms a cavity on the right hand side. Its about 9.5" wide, near the tailgate. Is the battery behind this. I gave it a bit of a tug but it did not want to come off. Dont want to force it if its not the correct part Question

Post #558472 Fri Jun 08 2018 12:19pm
PEACHY

England 

It's the full piece about 18in long - 15in high Thumbs Up will add a pic in about an hour if needed Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #558480 Fri Jun 08 2018 1:14pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Pic would be good if its not too much trouble

Post #558491 Fri Jun 08 2018 3:37pm
PEACHY

England 

16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #558497 Fri Jun 08 2018 4:57pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, I was just pulling the recessed piece

Post #558503 Fri Jun 08 2018 6:03pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Finally got round to checking the secondary battery after a struggle pulling down the trim. The car had been sitting for about 6 days. When started it came up with low battery, start car, so after opening up the trim, I checked the voltage which read
13.02 volts, which seems ok to me. Stuck Ctek on & 4 lights lit up. Its been on for an hour approx. & all lights plus green light are on. Will be using it this afternoon so will see if start/stop works. Any more suggestions welcome Crying or Very sad

Post #558865 Wed Jun 13 2018 11:16am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Is that 13.02V with the engine running? If so, might that suggest the alternator isn't pulling its weight? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #558870 Wed Jun 13 2018 12:00pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

No that's with the engine off. I have just disconnected Ctek as it says fully charged, jumped in, nothing on & it says low battery, start engine Big Cry

Post #558874 Wed Jun 13 2018 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>