Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Legal Advice required please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Zeoman

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver
Legal Advice required please

Hi,
I bought my RRSport (2006) late September this year. From the start there has been a knocking from underneath. I was told by the dealer that it was just a little play on one of the ARB's and nothing to worry about. Driving home on the motorway i notice some wheel wobble at about 60mph. I assumed it was the tyre pressures. Got home and pumped tyres and although not fixed it did improve the drive. After about 8 weeks i noticed a knocking sound while driving that sounded like either a wheel bearing of a loose UJ. I phoned the dealer who told me "It was alright when it left here2, but i should phone the garage they use. Due to the fact its over 40 miles away and i work shift it took 2 weeks to get in in. The mechanic couldn't hear the knocking but put up on ramps anyway. they diagnosed a slightly loose wheel bearing. I was booked in the following week. I asked if this was covered on the 3 month warantee and they said yes. When I took it back they couldnt fit me in so i had to drive home. Fibnally It got booked in just before christmas and they did the repair. the garage then phoned me and said the bearing wasnt covered by the warantee and I had to pay. I then phoned the CAB who informed me in no uncertain terms that i shouldnt. So i didnt.
The knocking has got steadily worse. I booked in to my usual garage yeaster day, however, coming home from work on thursday the red suspension light came on.
I have just got the car back and it turns out its heavily corroded at the back and a rear hydraulid ARB id p*ssing fluid. All the pipes are corroded as well. He won't touch it and I dont blame him.
So, (Please bear in mind I am in Scotland), are any of you lawers please and so I have a case. I spent £9000 on finance for this vehicle that turns out to be a dog. I am majorly annoyed and don't see why I should fit the bill. the car was obviously not right when I bought it. I have yet to speak to the dealer again and they are now closed.
My wife is going spare about this. Its a shame as apart from this, i have loved driving the sport. So if anyone can please help ,or advise i would be extremely grateful.
If I am lucky enough to have any of you as lawyers I would be happoy to PM my numbers or vise versa.
Many thanks

Jon

Post #546893 Sat Jan 27 2018 2:28pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Speak to your finance company and get them involved Thumbs Up

Post #546894 Sat Jan 27 2018 2:47pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I don't think you have purchased a dog

corroded at the back and a rear brakes pipes are common. I think you will just have to live with that,

If still in warranty try and claim the hydraulid ARB (again common)
and get them to sort the knocking that they didn't fix before

I guess try and be nice at first, and be prepaired to pay something.

ARB can be very expensive, so if you could get that sorted on warranty, you would be on a winner

If you can't afford repairs, maybe a refund would be best for you ?

Post #546899 Sat Jan 27 2018 3:10pm
lkefc84

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I had issues a few years back when I bought a BMW 120d. Long story short, I was offered protection via the finance company, and after a tireless debate spanning over a couple of weeks,. I managed to get the dealer to repair the car at his cost. It went again, and he took the car back and sourced me another one.

I got what I wanted in the end, but not without a fight.

The finance company were brilliant. I would second the suggestion above, and get in touch with your finance company. They are obliged to help, as any fault found on the car within the first 6 months of ownership is assumed it was there prior to you buying the car, therefore a fault that should have been rectified before the dealer sold the car on.

Good luck Thumbs Up 2007 TDV8 HSE.. beep beep!

Post #547022 Mon Jan 29 2018 8:21am
james5599

United Kingdom 

To repeat what others have said.
Go through the finance company to get pressure applied . Afterall they own the vehicle essentially . 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #547025 Mon Jan 29 2018 9:08am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you've bought a 2006 year car, things will have corroded in that time, but what you have mentioned sounds like common issues that come up

Post #547051 Mon Jan 29 2018 3:40pm
GodivaNige

England 

Have a read of this...

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ad...-my-rights

In contrast to what you are experiencing, I bought my car from Evans Halshaw in 2016 and within the first 3 months had a seized brake caliper, worn suspension compressor and faulty high level brake light. A couple of calls to the dealer quoting Consumer Rights Act and to be fair, they were brilliant. No questions asked, they invited me to get the car repaired by my local indy and have the bill sent straight to them which they paid within 7 days. Who’d have thought? Evans Halshaw!?

It is down to the seller to prove the faults with your car (regardless of it’s age) were not present when you made the purchase, not for you to prove they were, if within the first 6 months of ownership. The corrosion you can’t do anything about, if you’d checked the car over properly when you bought it, it will be argued you made the purchase with this in mind. As said above, it’s common for older RRS’s to have some surface rust under the car at the rear.

The wheel bearing and ARC bar should rightly be repaired by the seller though, unless he can prove without doubt, the faults were not present at the time of sale. Which I very much doubt he can do, unless he has a valid independent inspection report from an established company such as the AA

Post #547062 Mon Jan 29 2018 4:37pm
Zeoman

Thanks for all the Advice. The dealers at the moment are talking nicely, but they want me to take the vehicle to them which is problematic at the moment. I have spoken to Whytes, my local RR dealer and they can fix the Rear ARB for £1200.
I will keep you posted but I have to be patient myself. Just annoying having no vehicle to drive.
Many thanks

Jon

Post #547262 Thu Feb 01 2018 10:45am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Ask the supplying dealer for a loaner whilst your's is being repaired Thumbs Up

Post #547294 Thu Feb 01 2018 6:14pm
Zeoman

Well,
after a lengthy battle, the Sport is now back on the road. I sought legal advice, and it appears that a garage CAN sell you a dog and put it down to wear and tear and that's not a lot you can do about it. The finance company gave me an interest free loan to get it repaired and gave some towards the cost as a good will gesture. Not really the outcome I was hoping for but at least I have my Vehicle back. Really enjoying driving again, so here's to happy days.

Post #556480 Tue May 15 2018 9:40am
james5599

United Kingdom 

These are expensive cars when they go wrong you may have bought a 9 grand car but you’re maintaining a 60 grand one.

I m glad you’ve had some resolution though at the very least the cars back on the road! Now just enjoy it!

Thumbs Up 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #556481 Tue May 15 2018 10:14am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good that is all fixed up and you are happy with it, now you need to use it properly and take it on some of the Scottish green Road Club outings in Central Scotland........... this is not mud-plugging this is a gentle Sunday drive on private estate and forest/ waterboard tracks across the hillsides and through the forests - non damaging but can sometime throw up the odd challenge plus it exercises the mechanical bits that 99.99% of owners don’t even know are there! No special equipment other than a camera and some warm clothes is needed. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #556490 Tue May 15 2018 11:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilchesth

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

That sounds great. Now is the time I wish I had moved to Scotland and not Cornwall Very Happy 2008 Range Rover Sport 2.7 SE Zermatt Silver.

Post #556497 Tue May 15 2018 12:17pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

West Country Land Rover Experience (http://www.westcountry.landroverexperience.co.uk/) do "bring your own" days in Devon if you fancy a non-damaging day off road. A few members on here have been on them (me included). A nice day out led by LRE instructors. Nothing silly, just tracks with a little bit of mud, but enough for an enjoyable first taste off road. On "my" day, there was a shiny Autobiography, for example, as well as the usual earlier stuff like my old TDV8, an Evoque etc.

Our earlier trip: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic42947-30.html 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #556511 Tue May 15 2018 1:34pm
wilchesth

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

Excellent write up. I could even smell the muddy tracks as I was reading it. Will have to give it a go at some point. Cheers for the info. 2008 Range Rover Sport 2.7 SE Zermatt Silver.

Post #556514 Tue May 15 2018 2:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1