RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > I think my speedo is out, help calculating correction please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Does anyone else have a difference in reading between the speedo and cruise display?

My cruise display under reads, but the speedo is correct against GPS. E.g. 50mph on GPS is 50mph on speedo, but cruise thinks it's 53mph

Post #556311 Sun May 13 2018 7:19am
garrycol

Australia 

garrycol wrote:
As indicated in the quote, in the later D4 equivalent RRS you can adjust for different size tyres by using something like the IID tool etc.

But what about the earlier RRS? Can it be done with it?

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #556364 Mon May 14 2018 4:52am
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

You could send pat an email @ gap diagnostics đź‘Ť
I’m sure he can help 

Post #556366 Mon May 14 2018 6:13am
garrycol

Australia 

Thanks - I just thought someone on here would know if it is possible.

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #556374 Mon May 14 2018 7:25am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In the UK if you think you have an error in your speedo then you can easily check it using the verge/ hard shoulder markers on any UK motorway and most major A roads in England.

At the side of the hard shoulder on all UK motorways there are small blue and white position posts used by HA to locate you when you have a breakdown or when they are doing maintenance - these are 100m apart and are on both carriways of all UK motorways and many urban dual carriageways. If counting posts every 100m is too taxing then, in England only, there are blue signs with orange or white text on them every 500m that give the motorway number and the distance to the next junction.............. Both can be used to calibrate your speedo along with a good quality timer, and this is actually more accurate than using a GPS.
As an aside, in the last few weeks there has been a big military exercise going on in UK waters and GPS accuracy has been reduced in many areas because of this, and in some sea areas and coastal districts in the North and West of Scotland GPS has been completely switched off......... it is to stop the Navies of the world cheating in the exercise and forces them to resort to old fashioned eyeball navigation, but the rest of us have to suffer getting lost as a consequence !
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6155261/roya...-training/ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #556382 Mon May 14 2018 8:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

that would explain why I ran my kayak aground in the Solent at the weekend (my excuse and I'm sticking to it)! Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #556401 Mon May 14 2018 11:49am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

They can’t just turn off GPS, it doesn’t work like that. They would more likely retain the relevant crypto key from those they don’t want to cheat. Aircraft such as Typhoon and Tornado need valid Crypto to actually work and if it’s not a valid key, the AC won’t fly. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #556429 Mon May 14 2018 4:56pm
Tim in Scotland

They can and do which is one reason why the EU wants its own system - I’m a day to user commercially and we have received numerous navigation warnings over the last month advising. They only switch it off in set locations, or rather they remove 8 or 12 channels that renders the accuracy so wildly out it is unusable....... USA did the same in the Red Sea a couple of years ago when they were assisting the Saudis with Yemen and further back when they were sending the cruise missiles into Baghdad we had never ending alarms on or ingtegrated bridge systems 24/7 for months when operating in the Middle East. It is one reason why I have GLONASS availability now as well on my ECDIS systems onboard - too many shipboard systems rely on satellite navigation of one nationality or another. China has its own system and India is also developing one for the Indian Coast regions. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #556448 Mon May 14 2018 7:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

As Tim says, they can - GPS jamming get's advertised when naval exercises are being carried out.

Here is an example - https://www.orcadian.co.uk/orkney-waters-host-military-exercise/ 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #556451 Mon May 14 2018 8:35pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
They only switch it off in set locations, or rather they remove 8 or 12 channels that renders the accuracy so wildly out it is unusable....... .

Censored land rover must have bought a huge batch of sat navs with the channel options permanently removed Big Cry 

Post #556452 Mon May 14 2018 8:47pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I compared my speedo to several of the 30mph smiley face speed warning signs that flash the speed up and found at 32mph it never triggered them at 33mph it did. Also compared it to the one's that show your speed when approaching them as well and found it spot on, that was after fitting 275/45 x 21" wheels, so figured the speedo was accurate enough not to get a ticket. If you want a more accurate reading you could always try driving through a few fixed speed cameras at a specific speed then when you get the tickets you will know what speed you were actually doing. Laughing

Cheers
Col

Post #556459 Mon May 14 2018 9:35pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

insiorc wrote:
As Tim says, they can - GPS jamming get's advertised when naval exercises are being carried out.

Here is an example - https://www.orcadian.co.uk/orkney-waters-host-military-exercise/

Jamming is different to switching it off, switching it off is a massive problem and very rarely happens. They can restrict access by changing the crypto for one that has limited issue. military GPS is far more accurate than anything civilian or commercial and by turning it off, it turns off more than just GPS, there is other stuff that runs hand in hand with it. The exercise quoted is one I’ve taken part in a number of times and we always had fully crypto keys, like I say, with out it, the Typhoon won’t work well at all. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #556461 Mon May 14 2018 9:44pm
Tim in Scotland

Stuff that runs in conjunction with it includes mobile phone networks, street lighting, traffic light system timers and a host of embedded bits in equipment that require super accurate timing, that you never thought needed GPS! I have no objection to loss of accuracy provided we are told about it (which mostly professional user are) - after all I was trained and spent a lot of my profession in the time when we had to use a sextant (or Decca Navigation in coastal waters) to find our position and that didn’t always work out error free and someone often switched off the sun by sending clouds over at the critical moment - loss of GPS signals is nothing new, just that it has an effect on far more people than it used to. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #556475 Tue May 15 2018 8:05am
grey17

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

garrycol wrote:
garrycol wrote:
As indicated in the quote, in the later D4 equivalent RRS you can adjust for different size tyres by using something like the IID tool etc.

But what about the earlier RRS? Can it be done with it?

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Garry

Hi Garry.

Yes, you can adjust the tyre size in the RRS1.
I asked Land Rover and they said no problem, they just
need to plug it in and correct it on the computer.

G

Post #556724 Thu May 17 2018 5:50pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

d-9 wrote:
Does anyone else have a difference in reading between the speedo and cruise display?

My cruise display under reads, but the speedo is correct against GPS. E.g. 50mph on GPS is 50mph on speedo, but cruise thinks it's 53mph

Yes, I have the same. For the car to travel at 70 mph I have to set the cruise at about 77mph. But the speedo appears to be more or less accurate. Weird! Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #556769 Fri May 18 2018 7:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>