RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Yet another crank failure....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

HossBog

United Kingdom 
Yet another crank failure....

So for anyone who read my ‘breakdown’ thread - just had it confirmed by the dealer, the engine has seized. MY16 car, 19k miles, seems to be in line with others that have suffered from crank failure.

So will be without my car for some weeks it seems. At least they’re now trying to get me into a ‘like for like’ car...

The Disco Sport I have now is ok but very boring.

Be good to know from anyone else who has had this what happens next...

Post #555773 Fri May 04 2018 2:18pm
1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

Sorry to hear this news, such a shame that they haven't engineered out this fault, if anything it seems to be just as bad or worse on the newer models..

Post #555775 Fri May 04 2018 2:46pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

So sorry to hear... MY16 cars don’t seem immune to this issue ... weary about collecting mine in a few weeks

Post #555776 Fri May 04 2018 2:50pm
wilf

MY 16 cars also have the oil dilution with fuel issue, and I wonder if this is contributing to the crank failures? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #555781 Fri May 04 2018 3:25pm
Nowaytk

England 

All I can say with mine was that the process just to get the ok took about 2 weeks, ( there was a bank hol weekend so may be a bit less ?) at various stages the dealer would inform me that the warranty company would want info / pics of the engine in various stages of undress and also checking if anything had been tampered with, I’m assuming to try and void the warranty?, but unfortunately after that I don’t know due to the fact I’d already agreed trading it in for the velar.
The one thing the dealer said was that my sport most probably wouldn’t go on their forecourt but straight to the auctions as explaining that it’s had a new engine to potential buyers tends to put people off ? 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #555792 Fri May 04 2018 4:22pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

I read ‘2 weeks’ and thought ‘that’s not so bad’.

Then I read ‘to get approval’!!! Big Cry

It’s taken a week already to get it diagnosed....I’m never going to see it again.

Although I quite fancy an Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio....

Post #555809 Fri May 04 2018 8:02pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

New engine has been ordered, should be all done and back with me by the end of May...

Post #556125 Thu May 10 2018 12:08pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Is a Disco Sport the best “equivalent” loan car you can get? I would have thought at the very least a Disco5 Sdv6 would have been the lowest “equivalent” vehicle to a Sport.......... or a FFRR TDv6 as an apology for the problem that isn’t of your making 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu May 10 2018 12:22pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #556128 Thu May 10 2018 12:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
syl

United Kingdom 

Is the wait for the engine or for the fitting? Mine needs to have it's engine removed and put back in again. Not sure how long it's going to be, but I hope I get it back before the end of May.

When people's cars are off the road due to a warranty fault for an extended period of time, if they are on a LR finance deal do they get to keep it for a corresponding additional period at the end of the PCP/lease before having to give it back? It would be a bit rubbish if you had a 24 month deal and LR had it for, say, 3 months out of that time. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #556129 Thu May 10 2018 12:22pm
Tim in Scotland

For an engine failure it might be worth involving any finance company involved - after all they “own” the car until you finish paying the installments. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #556130 Thu May 10 2018 12:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HossBog

United Kingdom 

The wait is for fitting - although it was an ‘indicative’.

They acknowledged the point about a Disco or RRS loan car - simple prob seems to be they don’t have any to hand. They have a RRS which will be ready next week, but I’m on a short holiday then away for work so partly my issue. I’m not too bothered as I’m riding my bike in this nice weather.

Tim, re finance, it’s on a LR PCP. So I’m handing it back at the end now - no way am I keeping and taking on a car that no-one will touch with a replacement engine. I usually buy our family car cash and mine on PCP, I’m really glad I did!

Post #556131 Thu May 10 2018 12:30pm
Tim in Scotland

The mechanical problems be they crank failures or oil dilution (which i think is more likely what caused your car’s seizure) combined with too ambitious pricing are two of the reasons why I have ended my long period of buying a new Rangy every 2-3 years and sampling something different. I can still get my injection of Land Rovering with my 22 year old Defender though! Basic and crude, leaks in the rain but soooooooooooooo much fun and has never broken down in the 16 years that I have owned it except when I have broken it........ when trying too hard offroad. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #556133 Thu May 10 2018 12:59pm
syl

United Kingdom 

HossBog wrote:
The wait is for fitting - although it was an ‘indicative’.

They acknowledged the point about a Disco or RRS loan car - simple prob seems to be they don’t have any to hand. They have a RRS which will be ready next week, but I’m on a short holiday then away for work so partly my issue. I’m not too bothered as I’m riding my bike in this nice weather.

Tim, re finance, it’s on a LR PCP. So I’m handing it back at the end now - no way am I keeping and taking on a car that no-one will touch with a replacement engine. I usually buy our family car cash and mine on PCP, I’m really glad I did!

Would anyone even know that it's had a replacement engine? They don't know it's had replacement other parts.

I had an engine replaced on a Vauxhall I owned from new (full dealer service history, just outside warranty, with no assistance from them at all - hence I would never, ever buy another Vauxhall even if i were looking for something at the lower end of the market in future). Cost me over £5k in today's money for a new Z20LET. The V5 was changed to reflect the new engine number, not that anyone ever checks the engine number vs V5. There was no marker on the V5 to say that it had been changed. The car was written off about 6 months later so I never had to sell it. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #556136 Thu May 10 2018 2:05pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Well, finally got my RRS back yesterday. Engine failed on April 27, collected it on June 1.

All seems fine bar the damage caused by someone ramming the offside headlight back in, and the most awful valet job by someone who has sprayed the whole interior with that silicone shine crap that Halfords sell. Spent an hour trying to wipe it off as my car looks and smells like a late night taxi. Is that the ‘premium brand’ service we should get?

I have to be honest, the whole experience has been a let down, I don’t think I’ll be buying another JLR product.

Post #557981 Sat Jun 02 2018 9:54am
wilf

Shame. This is not how it should be with a "premium" marque. JLR are going to regret binning off their loyal supporters like this, I am another who will not return to the fold. And that is after 12 years of Jags and RRs.

And just to cheer us all up - another FM with a snapped crank, was in the more general "tech" section, not sure if folk here caught it : http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic51000.html MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #557988 Sat Jun 02 2018 1:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>