RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Parking brake module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

smurtaza

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Arctic Frost
Parking brake module

Is the parking brake module interchangeable between RRS L320, LR3, LR4 and L322 full size RR?

I'm getting C1A00-4B control module system internal failure - over temperature error. Removed the module and ran the motor manually (connecting 12V). Motor works fine and pulls/pushes the cables but draws too much current (over 30AMPS) and trips the fuse on 12V testing unit (after 2-3 sec). I don't know if the problem is the transmission unit or the motor itself.

So want to buy a used module as new is around $900+. There are some good used ones available from L322 and just wondering if it's the same unit as L320.

Thanks.

Post #555601 Wed May 02 2018 3:44pm
smurtaza

Update. Since motor was drawing too much power, took the module apart, removed the motor from transmission unit, opened one side of the motor and found it all gunked up with black stuff. Cleaned the motor with brake cleaning fluid, put it back together, tested and put it back in the module. Tested motor with transmission and cables attached and now it works great. It only draws 10 Amps as oppose to over 30 Amps before the cleanup. Going to put the module back in the car and adjust the brake shoes. Hopefully it'll all work fine.

Post #555652 Thu May 03 2018 3:32am
smurtaza

I do have access to a lift and it took couple of hours to remove the module. It is pretty tight in there but I believe it could be done on a driveway, if you put RR on extended height. But to release the cables you need to remove the rare brake rotors and for that back wheels have to come off. Most time was spent on removing rotors, releasing cables from left/right shoes, emergency cable under the shifter area and just removing all the hangers to get the cables free. Module comes out from the passenger wheel arch.

I have seen a youtube video of a guy taking the module cover off while still in the car but I was not able to get to the screws on the cover (space was too tight) I think he was working on LR3 (may have more space on LR3). Plus the module cover is glued on and even after getting it out, it took some effort to pry it off. I don't think I would have been able to get the cover off while on the car, even if I got the screws off.

Once the module is out of the car, you can unscrew and pry the cover off. To test the it, unplug the motor connections and you can test the mechanism by providing 12V to the motor connections. Be careful, a straight battery connection provides up to 600+ AMPS and could run the motor really fast and pull the cables to the stop and break the transmission. I used a testing tool that puts out 30-50 AMPS and trips on anything over that power.

Reversing the polarity runs the motor in reverse, so you can play with it pulling and pushing the cables. There is a youtube video showing how to remove the cables from the pulling mechanism and remove the motor/transmission out of the module (not every hard to do). Opening up the motor was the hardest part and I was not sure if that would even work. Back cover of the motor has crimped tabs that had to be pried to get the back cover off. Putting it back on was pretty easy.

Putting the transmission cogs back in the right order was a little challenging but not too bad. The whole module fix took around 2 hours.

I now have another issue to deal with. After removing the brake module, (with the module out) I tried to start the car and now I have flashing hazards, bunch of errors (transmission failure, transfer case errors, etc...) and no start. I hope putting the module back will sort the issues, otherwise I believe there are some wires in the back that sometimes get shorted out and RR computers go nuts (battery is putting out 13+ Volts). Will cross that bridge when I get there.

But at least now I know how the parking brake mechanism works and what are the things that could go wrong it with.

Post #555682 Thu May 03 2018 3:04pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the write up, very informative and useful. hopefully will never need it!
That must have saved you a small fortune.

Good luck with the other fixes! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #555688 Thu May 03 2018 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1