RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > V6SC or SDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Equilibrium

United Kingdom 
V6SC or SDV6

My first post here as a potential future owner. Looking for a SUV as our next vehicle and have realised that the RRS may be in reach. The German competition does little for me. Very interested in the new Volvos, but hitting the Volvo showroom followed by sitting in a MY18 RRS I realised just how good the latter feels.

My usage will be low mileage, urban interspersed with the odd 100-200 mile run monthly or so. Max 6-7k per year.

I have a BMW 440i (which we will keep) and love the petrol six. So the supercharged V6 in the RRS appeals immediately.

But...is the diesel actually a better drive due to the huge amount of torque?

Is there much difference in refinement in what I imagine must be very refined vehicles, whatever the engine?

Interested to hear the pros and cons of the two V6s.

Post #553953 Thu Apr 12 2018 9:01pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Pros - V6SC is petrol
Cons - SDV6 is diesel

Hope this helps. 

Post #553965 Fri Apr 13 2018 6:14am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

With that sort of mileage I would be looking at a V8 SC,,if its used you are looking at pls don't go for the V6 diesel.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #553969 Fri Apr 13 2018 6:50am
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Love the pros and cons. I guess my main concern is that the V6petrol will need revving a little to make progress and might not be so suited to the RR character. Perhaps the diesel has enough refinement to make it the more desirable choice?

Re the V8 - whilst mileage is low now, if I get a RRS it will be a long term keeper - intended to be an outright purchase at the end of the PCP and kept for 6 years +. That’s the only way the investment makes sense to me. That means that career changes could take low miles to 20k or more, so the V6 is a safer bet. Plus probably couldn’t fund a V8 purchase anyway.

Will be buying new, with these residuals that’s what makes sense.

Post #553971 Fri Apr 13 2018 6:59am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

The sdv6 is a good engine in my opinion, I can get late 30’s & even into 40mpg on a run, however the crank issues are a worry but if you buy new & maintain with LR as per service schedules, take their extended warranty, you should get the engine replaced if the worst happens from what I can glean from the posts where cranks have snapped in these scenarios.
I will keep my current one now until 2.5 years old & see how it’s is then & decide if I trade it for another or keep until end of year 4 with an additional years LR warranty of course!

Post #553974 Fri Apr 13 2018 7:17am
Canary

England 

.Aylesbury has a scv6 if you wish to rest drive it, I took it for a spin and was surprised how good it was, perhaps that's all you need to convince yourself is a little drive in one. MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #553980 Fri Apr 13 2018 7:45am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Be warned that the V6 S/C is described by LR as being the HSE Dynamic............ but the Dynamic function of the Terrain Rseponse is not fitted or even an option! So no clever ride control that flattens out the rolls when driving fast on twisty roads, no clever remap of the gearbox to quicken gearchanges and no remap of the PAS to give it more weight. Also red Brake calipers are not an option if that is important to you. The one member of the forum who has a V6 S/C reckoned it didn’t have the get up and go it should have and has had his modified to give more power..... they are very rare beasts in the UK. Basically the get up and go of the V6 Diesel with the economy of the V8 S/C......... what’s the point! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #553989 Fri Apr 13 2018 10:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Equilibrium wrote:
Love the pros and cons. I guess my main concern is that the V6 petrol will need revving a little to make progress and might not be so suited to the RR character. Perhaps the diesel has enough refinement to make it the more desirable choice?

Re the V8 - whilst mileage is low now, if I get a RRS it will be a long term keeper - intended to be an outright purchase at the end of the PCP and kept for 6 years +. That’s the only way the investment makes sense to me. That means that career changes could take low miles to 20k or more, so the V6 is a safer bet. Plus probably couldn’t fund a V8 purchase anyway.

Will be buying new, with these residuals that’s what makes sense.

I don't think buying any of the variants can be classified as an investment no matter how much of an optimist you are!

Maybe push the boat out now and get a V8 SC then, if the career change comes about, trade it in for a more frugal model?

They drink petrol on short runs but not too bad on a stretch (although obviously not going to match the oil burners for MPG) but the joy of driving one does offset the hole in the wallet to some extent ...

Post #553999 Fri Apr 13 2018 10:52am
IRBails

Australia 
Re: V6SC or SDV6

Equilibrium wrote:
My first post here as a potential future owner. Looking for a SUV as our next vehicle and have realised that the RRS may be in reach. The German competition does little for me. Very interested in the new Volvos, but hitting the Volvo showroom followed by sitting in a MY18 RRS I realised just how good the latter feels.

My usage will be low mileage, urban interspersed with the odd 100-200 mile run monthly or so. Max 6-7k per year.

I have a BMW 440i (which we will keep) and love the petrol six. So the supercharged V6 in the RRS appeals immediately.

But...is the diesel actually a better drive due to the huge amount of torque?

Is there much difference in refinement in what I imagine must be very refined vehicles, whatever the engine?

Interested to hear the pros and cons of the two V6s.

Why buy a vehicle that is designed to drive off road for this type of driving? I suggest you get the vehicle most suited to urban drives which if you are keen on the RRS the petrol without off road pack? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #554005 Fri Apr 13 2018 11:24am
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, lots of interesting opinion/fact and food for thought so far.

I hadn’t picked up on the V6 petrol not having the dynamic pack, that would be a concern as I think adaptive/intelligent suspension options are excellent and probably very relevant on a two tonne suv.

I will look into the V8, but I think the purchase price will be out of reach. Realistically I’m at HSE Dynamic plus the odd option level of expenditure. Re. Investment, expenditure is the word I perhaps should have used. I view a car as largely a sunk cost. Happily range rovers hold on to a good percentage of their value though.

Why buy a car of this type? Hehe, pretty sure that the majority of RRS don’t see off road use. That said, I see the all weather capability (on appropriate tyres) and flood wading as useful advantages.

In truth though, it’s a desirable large SUV. On showroom appeal it has beaten the XC90 for me and I’ve just sat in a new Cayenne this lunchtime and still prefer the RRS as a place to sit. We want a SUV as the main family car for the next few years, the midsize ones (XC60/Macan/X3) are a little tight on boot space. So that’s how I have come to consider the Sport.

Post #554012 Fri Apr 13 2018 11:46am
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

IRBails, I think I might have misinterpreted your question which was not ‘why rrs’ but ‘Why diesel rrs’. Apologies if so.

I was definitely leaning towards petrol, just slight concerns on torque vs. Diesel. Until I looked at the RRS I had sworn never again on owning something that sipped from the black pump!

Definitely test drives of each are in order, especially bearing in mind the lacik of dynamic pack on the petrol V6.

Post #554021 Fri Apr 13 2018 2:15pm
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
With that sort of mileage I would be looking at a V8 SC,,if its used you are looking at pls don't go for the V6 diesel.

Andy

Looked into the V8 and it's just way out of my price league. Maybe one of the sixes for now and then a V8 RRS3 Laughing

Post #554043 Fri Apr 13 2018 5:11pm
Canary

England 

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic50599.html

I think my opening points here succinctly point to why the scv6 is not ready for the uk market according to JLR. MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #554071 Fri Apr 13 2018 7:18pm
Equilibrium

United Kingdom 

Thanks Canary, I read it.

Fully agree with your points. The salesman also did not make this clear to me - that the V6SC lacks the dynamic features.

It's a shame, but that could be enough to swing me towards the diesel - all subject to test drive, of course.

Just been pricing up the AB spec diesel and that could be a possibility - lower option spend, nicer spec, higher GFV makes it within reach perhaps.

Would love to be considering the V8SC, but it's a huge step up in 3-yr cost.

Post #554072 Fri Apr 13 2018 7:21pm
Canary

England 

Are you keeping it the whole 3 yrs? MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone: