Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New vs used lease or pcp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Scotnoob

United Kingdom 
New vs used lease or pcp

Hi,

I am looking at two options currently. Both will involve probably only keeping the car for 2 or 3 years as I am fickle.

First is. Brand new 2018 car on either lease or cheap pcp from rocker. They do 4.9 Apr and decent discounts which make it a little more affordable. I do like the new tech and grill but have to wonder how essential is it ...

Second option is that I have seen saxton 4x4 offering very low Apr on 2nd hand pcp. 3.9! If I could qualify for this then the saving actually becomes much more significant. Probably about 6k over the 3 years.

My main concern is how a 3rd party warranty will compare to a brand new manufacturer one. This is neither a reliable car or a cheap one to repair. The other concern is dealing with a small dealer rather than jlr. Not to mention losing on the new tech.

Would you save some money or go for the safer, more expensive and glutinous option?

Post #553850 Thu Apr 12 2018 8:41am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic50684.html

Post #553853 Thu Apr 12 2018 8:54am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

If I were you I’d do a bit of reasearch on Saxtons, not used them myself but search the dealership feedback on here, if you want secondhand buy approved used at the right deal of course, if you bank with Halifax/lloyds you can get 3.9% Apr on their pcp. With the sdv6 crank shaft issue if your considering one of these you would be crazy buying from anywhere else as it seems if the worst happens, few or no 3rd party warranties will pay out except Lr under a goodwill jesture as long as your car fits their strict criteria!

Good luck with your search, personally I would go down the new route for a lot less risk to your bank balance!

Post #553860 Thu Apr 12 2018 9:51am
ozzievechi

England 

DO NOT GO NEAR SAXTONS....

a) their stock is bottom of the barrel
b) they are disloyal and liars
c) what you see on the outside is very different to what's inside, in every aspect.
d) I've had to get a solicitor to get my deposit back on a car
e) if anything goes wrong (which it is more likely from these incompetent idiots) your screwed
f) DO NOT GO NEAR SAXTONS

I've just bought used approved and although main dealers aren't the smartest the safety net of JLR main dealer and JLR finance is worth a few quid extra....

I'm in this car for max 3 years and will hand back....dealer said they will call me in 2 to look to swap.
I kept my monthly's down by getting the car with the highest GFV I could afford....which is most likely top spec.
I'm paying just under £500 a month on a MY16 SDV8 Autobio with 18k miles on it..... guy behind me is paying over £500 for an SQ5 which is worth a lot less but because in 3 years his car will be worth £20k and mine is £40k the monthly's are the same... no brainer IF you understand that 1) you are essentially renting it and 2) your not fused about giving it back

I bought my first RRS cash, had it for 4 years, it got nicked and the insurance pay out worked out the same cost in depreciation as a 3 year lease...

Post #553867 Thu Apr 12 2018 10:27am
scousefly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
You Dont

like Saxtons then Ozzie Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Must admit I avoided them when I bought my current Sport as well

I am almost in the same predicament as the Raiser I went into Guy Salmon thinking my PCP ended next April but its actually September so a little longer in the car, however they seem to think due to the high residual value of the L494 Sport they think getting me into a Velar would be a much better deal for costs, PX and finance. Must say I am really interested in this option as I like the Velar but I am keeping my options open by also looking at other models like the F Pace, Q7, SQ5, Discovery

Test drive already booked for the 3.0 F Pace Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #553869 Thu Apr 12 2018 10:57am
ozzievechi

England 

Laughing

I wanted a Cayenne V8, Mrs wanted a RRS V8... 3 year PCP GFV 28k vs 40k.....

"yes dear I agree with you, you win...."
Bow down

Post #553871 Thu Apr 12 2018 11:00am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You are being offered a great deal On a Velar for only one reason.......... dealers get huge bonuses if they can sell one...... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #553873 Thu Apr 12 2018 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Nothing but negatives about Saxton so I would be staying away, great APR or not Smile

Personally now inclining towards a brand new vehicle as the difference in cost between that and a 3 year old SVR is less than 20K.

Still a BIG chunk of money of course but looking at it from the OFP/GFV it makes sense; being quoted £60K for a £100K+ car in high demand you'd like to believe there will be a fair bit of equity come month 37...

Post #553877 Thu Apr 12 2018 11:31am
scousefly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
Does

Tim in Scotland wrote:
You are being offered a great deal On a Velar for only one reason.......... dealers get huge bonuses if they can sell one......

It really matter if at the end it suits both my needs and my costings??/ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #553881 Thu Apr 12 2018 11:53am
Scotnoob

United Kingdom 

Thanks all no saxton for me!

ozzie, how did you get rrsa fit 500 a month from main dealer. Was it High deposit and can you post deal details? Thanks.

I think I might keep aye on rockstar for a opportunity deal. Maybe at end of a quarter. I don’t really want to pay for than 700 per month with 5k deposit. This gets my a good velar but not so much the rrs.

Do think I need dynamic but want better alloys, cameras, metallic paint, black roof, tinted windows and maybe side steps. This pushes it 80-100 per month out of budget on current prices.

Rockstar do 4500 discount on velar and maybe 2500 on rrs tiday. If I can get 5-6000 on sport then I can make deal. Might be bit of a wait ...,

Post #553918 Thu Apr 12 2018 5:29pm
ozzievechi

England 

£54500, (inc road tax) MY16 SDV8 autobio dynamic, lots of options inc elec side steps. Told them if they gave me 2 x child seats and rubber mats I would go with JLR finance, then last minute came in with oracle offering 479 a month, said if they could get it close I would go with them plus the extras
5k deposit, 490 a month, Inchcape (formally Hunters) GFV in 3 years £39,850

when I started looking it was looking at HSE Dynamics... didn't really understand PCP, then realised its all about the GFV
older, less specced HSE DYn worth 10 less were coming out at same price...madness, just so long as u don't want to keep it your all good

Post #553919 Thu Apr 12 2018 5:36pm
Scotnoob

United Kingdom 

I’ll take that deal. What was Apr?

Post #553929 Thu Apr 12 2018 6:07pm
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Quote:
I think I might keep eye on rockstar for an opportunity deal. Maybe at end of a quarter. I don’t really want to pay for than 700 per month with 5k deposit. This gets my a good velar but not so much the rrs.

Do think I need dynamic but want better alloys, cameras, metallic paint, black roof, tinted windows and maybe side steps. This pushes it 80-100 per month out of budget on current prices.

Rockstar do 4500 discount on velar and maybe 2500 on rrs tiday. If I can get 5-6000 on sport then I can make deal. Might be bit of a wait.

End of a quarter is usually a good time, had the same initial monthly budget as you but luckily a larger potential deposit (my current RRS + cash).

After spec'ing the things I want and allowing for a near £4K discount though it's at closer to £800pm which is not ideal but manageable and the GFV is coming in at what seems like a reasonable figure.

Only you know your needs but if I were in the same boat and yearning for an RRS over a Velar I would wait and see rather than pick a lesser vehicle and still end up paying a big chunk of money yet not driving the car you want to!

Post #553956 Thu Apr 12 2018 10:44pm
Dobby

United Kingdom 

ozzievechi wrote:
DO NOT GO NEAR SAXTONS....

+1 and +1 again on that.

Don't touch Saxtons with a barge pole..

Post #553957 Thu Apr 12 2018 10:50pm
Scotnoob

United Kingdom 

A deal like Ozzie’s would present an interest option though.

A 2018 hse with maybe 1 option vs a 15/16 autobiography or less money but still with jlr warranty?

I think the autobiography spec might trump the admittedly lovely new grill and infotainment. Adaptive cruise control is something I’ve got used too as well and this is std on that spec.

Really need to give this some thought. Maybe I’ll just go opportunistic and get best deal going on any of the three at the time?

I think numbers may be this with discounts and 5k deposit at right time of year ...

2018 D300 se velar plus 1-2 options 650-700pm
2018 3D hse rrs with 1-2 options 700-800pm
2016 3D rrs autobiography with option 500-600pm

Post #553964 Fri Apr 13 2018 7:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>