RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > InControl - service mode / battery disconnected / alert
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MrM

InControl - service mode / battery disconnected / alert

Quick note regarding InControl. I disconnected the battery on my car to do some work on it. Very quickly received a text and call from InControl to check if my car had been stolen. Entered into service mode which was showing on my app. Seemed to be doing its job.

I spoke to them and they confirmed this would happen if I disconnected the battery, and told me to put it in service mode if working on the car and likely to disconnect the battery. My car was recently serviced and I wasn't asked to put it in service mode, so I'm curious to hear others experiences as to whether they have ever needed to do this?

Post #553822 Wed Apr 11 2018 7:39pm
syl

United Kingdom 

They can see the last GPS location. It can't be hard for them to work out that it was at JLR franchise. Different if you're at home or and independent of course. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #553837 Wed Apr 11 2018 9:33pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Same thing happens when you leave the car unloved for ages and the battery goes flat, first you know is from the InControl monitoring team! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #553845 Thu Apr 12 2018 12:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrM

Interesting, thanks. What I'm curious about is whether JLR service dealers have the ability to put the car in service mode themselves (as a bypass) or if they never disconnect the battery during a service or maintenance work?

Post #553848 Thu Apr 12 2018 5:48am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Yes it can be done, my Disco has been in the dealership for the last few days and yesterday I had an alarm on the phone that it was stolen. I was waiting for the phone call from the JLR centre but the car then went into Service mode.

No idea if that was the dealer or the JLR centre though that did it. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #553855 Thu Apr 12 2018 8:01am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The dealers are supposed to put it into “service mode” when they start work on the car, I had one of the first Evoques fitted with the system and when it went in for some work after 3 months ownership I was sat in the reception enjoying a coffee waiting for the software upgrade to be completed when a policeman came in to investigate a stolen car on the dealer’s site that had triggered off the monitoring system - The Police had been informed by the monitoring service. After a Few red faced technicians appeared in reception it transpired that it was my car that had caused the fuss because the techs had no idea that there was a service mode and had disconnected the battery to carry out the upgrade which was to the battery monitoring system. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #553872 Thu Apr 12 2018 10:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arwV8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Bonatti Grey

Funny , same happened to me last week. Car in for a new battery and got a text from Incontrol. I called them and they had located the car at the dealer, so had assumed they were messing with it. Nice to know it worked. They were nice about it and thanked me for confirming the location. I reckon the dealer should have put it in service mode ....

Post #554419 Tue Apr 17 2018 3:01pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Happened to me as well. Got a call from InControl asking if I knew where my car was as it was reporting being tampered with.

As it was in the LR dealers being exercised on an electronics test bed I told them I was surprised to get the call as it was in one of their dealers connected to one of their diagnostic systems being soak tested for 24 hours.

Still I was please that someone was watching it as my previous cars had 3rd party trackers fitted and I was never called despite the documentation stating I would get a call if they detected tampering with the battery or movement of the car. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #554589 Thu Apr 19 2018 1:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1