RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 3rd row seats & HUD - thoughts please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Bentleyboy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Seems the HUD is marmite, I must say I do like it. Very useful speed reminder. Not sue about the previous comments on Non-colour. I have a MY17 and whilst the speed is amber the sat nav and cruise readouts are colour.

For what it's worth my must have options are- heated steering wheel and the very expensive, £35, high capacity screen wash bottle! Couldn't envisage being without either, very sad I know. Especially when a temperature guage was a cost option in my first car..... How times have changed. 2017my RRS 2.0 SD4 HSE, Firenze red, black and panaroof

Post #553442 Sat Apr 07 2018 9:09pm
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

^^^

I do like the idea of a HUD also, surprised to read people not being keen on it for various reasons but everyone has different likes and dislikes.

The heated steering wheel is a definite plus so will be looking for that although the high capacity screen wash bottle I hadn't given much thought to but now you mention it ... Thumbs Up

Post #553447 Sat Apr 07 2018 10:26pm
MrM

When I was in the market HUD and 3rd row seats were two options I wanted to look at. Having seen 3rd row seats in action and given how shallow footwell they have, I struggled to see their utility long term. The 7 seat disco provided 7 genuine seats to suit adults and older children. Ended up buying a used vehicle with HUD and find it very useful, I have to say.

Post #553465 Sun Apr 08 2018 8:09am
syl

United Kingdom 

Not even sure about the screen wash either, though the cost is so minimal why not. I have the extra bottle (one large bottle would be a better option) but have only topped up once in 6 months and it needed less than half a fill then. Would have been happy filling one bottle rather than two slightly more often, so it wouldn’t put me off a used one without.

The heated steering wheel however - I don’t think I would buy another car without one. That and remote start/heat. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #553471 Sun Apr 08 2018 9:37am
PDC

United Kingdom 

Iv'e been in two minds over HUD but decided not to have it, although I was hugely impressed with it on the demo.
Stand equipment I do have on my current Disco that I never use are, 360 camera, wade sensor DVD's in the rear but on the very odd occasion I watch the TV while waiting for SOMBO to come out of the shops!!!
Couldn't do without heated seats and steering wheel. My Dad calls me a pussy for having one, but I say it's just one of those things you have, you just want again. Thumbs Up 2010 RR 5.0 Autobiography
2020 F-Pace SV
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2015 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2008 RRS HST V8

Post #553492 Sun Apr 08 2018 12:07pm
kismet110

MrM wrote:
When I was in the market HUD and 3rd row seats were two options I wanted to look at. Having seen 3rd row seats in action and given how shallow footwell they have, I struggled to see their utility long term. The 7 seat disco provided 7 genuine seats to suit adults and older children. Ended up buying a used vehicle with HUD and find it very useful, I have to say.

Cheers for the comparison, that is really useful to know. I guess the 3rd row seats are what I initially thought; handy for small children on occasion but not a must-have nor very practical for any length of driving. HUD I too like the idea of though!

Quote:
Not even sure about the screen wash either, though the cost is so minimal why not. I have the extra bottle (one large bottle would be a better option) but have only topped up once in 6 months and it needed less than half a fill then. Would have been happy filling one bottle rather than two slightly more often, so it wouldn’t put me off a used one without.

The heated steering wheel however - I don’t think I would buy another car without one. That and remote start/heat.

Yep, for the few extra quid it has to be worth it although not a big deal if there isn't one. Never had a car with heated steering wheel before but definitely wanting that as too many cold days here in the UK for it not to be very useful Sad

Remote Start/Heat is a £1K+ option on new vehicles so if I had that chance not sure I'd plunge for it but like you say once you have it you miss it.

Quote:
I've been in two minds over HUD but decided not to have it, although I was hugely impressed with it on the demo.
Stand equipment I do have on my current Disco that I never use are, 360 camera, wade sensor DVD's in the rear but on the very odd occasion I watch the TV while waiting for SOMBO to come out of the shops!!!
Couldn't do without heated seats and steering wheel. My Dad calls me a pussy for having one, but I say it's just one of those things you have, you just want again. Thumbs Up

Yep, I really like the HUD to be honest and the ones I've been looking at I always enquire about that, would definitely spec it if going new.

Funnily enough I had rear screen entertainment and a TV in my X5, the former were never used and I think the TV came on about a dozen times for a few minutes over the course of a year! Nice-to-haves if someone else has paid for them but I wouldn't spec them.

Heated seats / steering wheel are on the must-have list though, pussy or not Thumbs Up

Post #553501 Sun Apr 08 2018 12:38pm
MrM

I think this thread will be useful for people trying to figure out what options are worth it or not either new or used. It would have helped me! My used "must have" spec was essentially a fully loaded car including 7 seats. Having now owned my SVR for 5 months here are my thoughts

7 seats / 3rd row - fine for occasional seating for kids that no longer need a car seat. Shallow footwell and lose the possibility of full size spare

HUD - thought it was a gimmick initially, now wouldn't be without it. I like the fact it shows the current speed limit as it's most useful feature

Sunroof - I love sunroofs and I have a fixed panoramic roof, doesn't bother me it doesn't open, lightens up the car enormously and gives a big sense of space. Must have for me.

Adaptive cruise - again, thought it was a gimmick but is really useful if you do a lot of motorway driving. If not, I'm not sure how useful it is. I like it but on the fence if I would spec new.

TV - was one of the main things I wanted and it's never been used. Thought my young son might grow to be able to watch cartoons to kee him occupied (no rear screens in SVR) but not being able to use it in motion ends that possibility. Patchy signal means it doesn't always work. Wouldn't spec again on a new car.

Washer bottle - I've got a standard sized one. I've had to fill it once in 5 months, over winter. If you did a lot of miles I could see the benefit of having one.

Deployable side steps - I like them. Useful to get in and out for the car more easily, wouldn't want to drive around with them down, prefer the sleeker lines. I'm sure I could get used to getting in and out without them, thus on the fence if Inwould spec new.

Heated steering wheel - I'm assuming heated seats are big standard, heated wheel was glorious during this cold winter. Without a doubt I would spec if not standard.

Heated rear seats - I have them, I like heated seats. Would spec new even if just for occasional use.

4 zone air con - not sure I would bother if spec'ing new. If 4 adults in the car often, then maybe

Premium sound - I don't have it, so don't know any better, but have no issue with standard system.

Electric towbar - I have one and have never used it, but would probably spec as I may well use it in the future and it's pretty neat.

Post #553507 Sun Apr 08 2018 1:48pm
kismet110

Quote:

I think this thread will be useful for people trying to figure out what options are worth it or not either new or used. It would have helped me! My used "must have" spec was essentially a fully loaded car including 7 seats. Having now owned my SVR for 5 months here are my thoughts.

7 seats / 3rd row - fine for occasional seating for kids that no longer need a car seat. Shallow footwell and lose the possibility of full size spare

HUD - thought it was a gimmick initially, now wouldn't be without it. I like the fact it shows the current speed limit as it's most useful feature

Sunroof - I love sunroofs and I have a fixed panoramic roof, doesn't bother me it doesn't open, lightens up the car enormously and gives a big sense of space. Must have for me.

Adaptive cruise - again, thought it was a gimmick but is really useful if you do a lot of motorway driving. If not, I'm not sure how useful it is. I like it but on the fence if I would spec new.

TV - was one of the main things I wanted and it's never been used. Thought my young son might grow to be able to watch cartoons to keep him occupied (no rear screens in SVR) but not being able to use it in motion ends that possibility. Patchy signal means it doesn't always work. Wouldn't spec again on a new car.

Washer bottle - I've got a standard sized one. I've had to fill it once in 5 months, over winter. If you did a lot of miles I could see the benefit of having one.

Deployable side steps - I like them. Useful to get in and out for the car more easily, wouldn't want to drive around with them down, prefer the sleeker lines. I'm sure I could get used to getting in and out without them, thus on the fence if I would spec new.

Heated steering wheel - I'm assuming heated seats are big standard, heated wheel was glorious during this cold winter. Without a doubt I would spec if not standard.

Heated rear seats - I have them, I like heated seats. Would spec new even if just for occasional use.

4 zone air con - not sure I would bother if spec'ing new. If 4 adults in the car often, then maybe

Premium sound - I don't have it, so don't know any better, but have no issue with standard system.

Electric towbar - I have one and have never used it, but would probably spec as I may well use it in the future and it's pretty neat.

I think we could have been separated at birth Shocked

The above matches my own thoughts on the options bar that I'm not fussed about the TV at the price they quote (due to the aforementioned little usage and patchy reception) and the deployable side-steps I would not know about as only had fixed sidesteps previously (which I do like but think they look better on the L320 anyway).

And yes, hopefully threads like this will help people come to a decision as to be honest the choices are not cheap, the options are plentiful and without knowing the pros and cons of them it could be money wasted on little or never used elements that don't get reflected come resale time.

Post #553512 Sun Apr 08 2018 2:54pm
MrM

Hopefully some kind of consensus helps and then people know what is desirable in a used car if spec'ing new.

I forgot the "fridge" - used it on the odd occasion, can see it has use and apparently damn hard to retrofit, so another option I would spec.

Post #553517 Sun Apr 08 2018 3:30pm
kismet110

^^^

I've got the 'fridge on my current L320 and would definitely want it on the next one, very handy!

Post #553518 Sun Apr 08 2018 3:31pm
ikeysolomon

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Adriatic Blue

Wouldn't have bought an SVR without HUD. Love it Mr. Green but then I like marmite too Razz Razz

Post #553649 Mon Apr 09 2018 4:54pm
kismet110

^^^

Funnily enough I like it too; toasted bread, a little butter with a thin layer of Marmite on top = Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #553654 Mon Apr 09 2018 5:52pm
andymc

United Kingdom 

MrM wrote:

TV - was one of the main things I wanted and it's never been used. Thought my young son might grow to be able to watch cartoons to kee him occupied (no rear screens in SVR) but not being able to use it in motion ends that possibility. Patchy signal means it doesn't always work. Wouldn't spec again on a new car.

Deployable side steps - I like them. Useful to get in and out for the car more easily, wouldn't want to drive around with them down, prefer the sleeker lines. I'm sure I could get used to getting in and out without them, thus on the fence if Inwould spec new.

My additional thoughts:

Adaptive Cruise. Love it as I do a lot of Motorway driving.

TV: Total waste of money. gimmick.

Washer bottle. On occasion I've wished for a larger bottle but no harm without it.

Deployable sidestep. Couldn't get used to this on the demo car and showroom cars. Keep putting my leg on the floor and then it deploys into my ankle. Fixed one - I'm about to get retrofitted.

Heated wheel. only used it twice in 12 months very handy when it was needed though. recommended.

4 zone aircon. I only have 3 zone (1 in rear) and most passengers are pleased they have any in the rear at all.

Premium Audio. Absolutely a must. If you like your music its awesome! I actually wish I could have afforded the Signature? audio (£4k option).

Electric tow bar. Deployed it the once - just to see what it looked like but never used it as yet. SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #553684 Tue Apr 10 2018 12:09am
kismet110

Quote:
My additional thoughts:

Adaptive Cruise. Love it as I do a lot of motorway driving.

TV: Total waste of money. Gimmick.

Washer bottle. On occasion I've wished for a larger bottle but no harm without it.

Deployable sidestep. Couldn't get used to this on the demo car and showroom cars. Keep putting my leg on the floor and then it deploys into my ankle. Fixed one - I'm about to get retrofitted.

Heated wheel. Only used it twice in 12 months very handy when it was needed though. Recommended.

4 zone air-con. I only have 3 zone (1 in rear) and most passengers are pleased they have any in the rear at all.

Premium Audio. Absolutely a must. If you like your music its awesome! I actually wish I could have afforded the Signature? audio (£4k option).

Electric tow bar. Deployed it the once - just to see what it looked like but never used it as yet.

Thanks for the above, I must admit my thoughts are the same as mentioned above. Some options are invaluable once you've had them, others just a gimmick or expensive waste.

Post #553693 Tue Apr 10 2018 10:00am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

I have auto-parking... Have used it once a year. Hmm. Cool to show the kids.

I do like blind spot and side collision warning (useful when reversing).

On my gen 1 RRS, the active cruise control often hit the brakes when overtaking on a corner. Not nice. I guess the new system doesnt do that? 2022 P440e AB

Post #553703 Tue Apr 10 2018 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12