RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Android 6.0 8.8 inch Head Unit Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234

GrahamS

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

This is s stunning upgrade to the RRS!! Bow down Bow down

I have some questions though if that’s ok?

Does the new top 2010 RR sat nav upgrade take over all the sat nav; phone; radio etc that was done by the various old units?
Do you use it instead of the new Android unit now for these?
Is the 2010 RRS sat nav unit a better option than the LR4?
Where did you get the chromed A/C knobs 😀 ?

Thanks.

Post #553242 Thu Apr 05 2018 12:53pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Hi GrahamS,

Cheers for the compliments Thumbs Up I'll try and answer the questions as best I can or point you in the right direction.

Does the SatNav take over the control of the old units. The answer is yes/no. It can for certain components, and others not. The best I can recommend is to go to our sister site www.disco3.co.uk and check out this thread, and read all 35 pages of it... Basically what I did.

The reason I say this is rather than answering your question is that it gives you an idea of what can and can't be done and what effort is required. For me I was only interested in the 4x4 info screen and the newer 'dark' interface as I hate the original pre 2010 SatNav with the horrid light background.

As you might have guessed by now I use the SatNav only for the 4x4 info. Everything is via the Android headunit, so Media, Navigation, BT, voice control etc. This is predominiantly becasue that's why I installed the unit in the first place and secondly becasuse in my case Navigation doesn't work (in yours it could and should) and secondly there's a known bug that the screen can hang if used to control pre 2010 systems. Also the interface isn't 100% so for example the 6 disc head unit can't be controlled from the screen, at least not the CD selection. Otherwise most things work. I got it to recognise the old TV receiver, BT module (LR4) etc.

The RRS 2010 and LR4 units are the same. Check the thread I referenced above and that gives you details of the SatNav unit you need with model nos.

So chromed AC knobs are actually custom job from UK. You need to find a company that does chrome plating/ painting on plastic and rubber (it can be done) and they will do it for you. However, don't expect a colour match with noble chrome it's almost impossible to get right, best of going for plain chrome. Also, be aware it wears off fairly quickly.

Hope this helps you, any more questions shoot away.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #553466 Sun Apr 08 2018 8:20am
gc141282

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Guyzer73, can you point me in the right direction as to where you got the gloss black aircon and trim panels.

Also, a very well executed project from start to finish, a write up certainly wouldn’t go amiss!

Post #573664 Wed Jan 23 2019 1:31am
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Hi gc141282,

Sorry for the late reply. Basically, I got all the Noble Chrome surrounds and the Piano Black surrounds from PowerfulUK. The gear selector surround, and the piano black flat surface with the ashtray etc where painted by my garage.

I have always wanted to do a write-up but never got round to it. However, most of the information is there is you look for it. However, I have now stopped using a custom UI in favour of running an almost blank home screen and relying on Head Unit reloaded (App) to launch Android Auto whenever driving.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #574920 Sun Feb 10 2019 7:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234