RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Clunk from front when moving off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Clunk from front when moving off

I've a 2012 MY 3.0 SDV6. 82k miles. Not always, but enough of the time to be irritating, I am getting a couple of light clunks from the front of the car as I move off from a standstill or <5mph or so.

Otherwise the car runs and drives fine and all gearchanges are smooth whether in D, S or on the paddles, so no jerking at all on changes up or down. Does not happen on slowing down to a stop, only starting off.

I am wondering if it might be propshaft related or, possibly, a sign the front diff is worn/wearing out ? Does not occur on a light move off but is definitely noticeable/more noticeable the more right foot I give it from stop.

Does not happen once moving at any speed above 5mph or so, and when moving a hefty dose of right foot also doesn't bring it into play.

Any ideas ? Am a bit stumped here.

Post #552441 Tue Mar 27 2018 8:39pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

A bit of a shot in the dark here but could it be bushes related? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #552469 Tue Mar 27 2018 10:57pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I had wondered that, but then it feels like front centre of the car where this is coming from and only at low speeds moving off under a bit of power. Almost as if there is slack in the prop shaft or worn gear in the diff, so it is ok under low power input and fine once moving but slips a couple of times from stop until it catches propery under decent power input ?

Post #552478 Wed Mar 28 2018 8:11am
GodivaNige

England 

I think you’ve answered you own question, have the front prop shaft and diff checked Thumbs Up

Any slippage you’re experiencing though, could possibly be a gearbox problem

Post #552480 Wed Mar 28 2018 8:24am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hmm. I'm not going to be much help here as basically I'm in the dark as much as you from your description.

However, I did (and still do) have a clunk which occurs if I am coasting up to say a roundabout, find I have an opportunity to move on, and apply moderate power. Its as if the car is undecided which gear to use, and when it decides, then the hurry to engage it makes it clunk. I'm sure its not right or good but my local garages have been unable to source the problem and so I live with it. If I apply the power very gently, then the clunk doesn't happen! Haven't tried really hammering it to see if it occurs.

The reason for mentioning it is that I did have my front diff replaced last year and I still have this clunk. So taking this discussion to its conclusion, it sound like the prop-shaft might be the place to start. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #552481 Wed Mar 28 2018 8:29am
david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange

I don’t know if this is any help, I’ve had something similar on both our Shogun and Subaru, this was a knock that I got from the rear that only seemed to happen when pulling away, In both cases I found that after re-torqueing the hub nuts it cured the problem, I don’t really know enough about our cars yet to know if this is something similar, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along to help.

Post #552482 Wed Mar 28 2018 8:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1