RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Whoops
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black
Whoops

Hi guys well had an eventful day picked up my van from storage and headed off to brean for a few days hitched up checked all lights tow bar fixing etc all good stopped 4 miles down road wife got tea and bacon sandwich Very Happy so checked everything again wheels for heat towbar for being attached and secure had break and set off all going well got to severn bridge and as i went past the tolls the caravan decided to leave exit left and on to the hard shoulder wtf no damage to car other people and us but think the van is a right off and the tow bar was still attached to the van any one had this by the way all home and safe which is good Thumbs Up

Last edited by geoffsnook on Wed Mar 28 2018 9:16am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #552425 Tue Mar 27 2018 6:35pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

So the tow bar came out of the receiver? What was the break away cable attached to? I’m guessing a detachable tow bar?

Glad you are all safe Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #552432 Tue Mar 27 2018 7:44pm
geoffsnook

Thanks the cablw was attached to the centre rIng on the chassis and we weee so lucky as to the out come but a bit concerned as I did check to see if there were any outstanding recalls from cry and everything was fine so the tow ball recall must have been done but still fell out as far as I am concerned Thumbs Up

Last edited by geoffsnook on Wed Mar 28 2018 9:17am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #552435 Tue Mar 27 2018 7:56pm
GodivaNige

England 

Jeez, scary Shocked

Glad nobody hurt and car ok but sorry your van is damaged.
These LR detachable towbars really are utter crap. Evil or Very Mad

Post #552436 Tue Mar 27 2018 7:59pm
geoffsnook

Thanks it makes you wonder checked it twice as we stopped and all ok towed the van for 21 miles and then it let go so cant really explain why and that is the killer so looks like a fixed tow bar next Evil or Very Mad

Post #552438 Tue Mar 27 2018 8:05pm
GodivaNige

England 

A fixed towbar is the way to go Geoff, I towed just the once with the detachable and after finding it loose in the socket following a trip from the Midlands to Cumbria, I replaced it immediately. The detachable was rock solid tight prior to hitching up, and loose when the van was unhitched, not good and very unsafe. I went with the Witter offering which remained solid for many more towing miles.
Caravan now gone though, replaced with a motorhome but will be keeping the fixed bar for my bike rack (pistol at a knife fight springs to mind) but I’m used to seeing it on the arse of the car now, so it can stay, despite being a little bit ugly.

Post #552439 Tue Mar 27 2018 8:23pm
Buckster

It is very concerning, I have had the recall and only tow occasionally but with heavy loads. We are off to Cornwall for Easter with our Sterling Eccles Amethyst twin axle. I have considered a fixed many times but as I offroad regularly it’s the ground clearance that puts me off, so I brought one of these in the link below for abit more peace of mind. Least it stops it falling out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...2915463572

Seems the safest way to tow using a detachable tow bar 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #552447 Tue Mar 27 2018 9:00pm
geoffsnook

I checked on here if there were any outstanding recalls and was told all up to date so i assumed the tow bar recall was done as there were no out standing recalls Thumbs Up

Post #552485 Wed Mar 28 2018 9:08am
geoffsnook

Buckster so you still tow with the detachable one then Thumbs Up

Post #552486 Wed Mar 28 2018 9:10am
Buckster

Yes i still tow with detachable, but just use the securing plate as per the link to stop it falling out. I have looked at the tow trust fixed setup when member RRSTDV8 fitted his. They look to be very good and alot nicer looking than the LR fixed set up Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

Post #552489 Wed Mar 28 2018 9:21am
geoffsnook

Yes looked at link but the guy has no more and i too dont like the look of the fixed bar Thumbs Up

Post #552491 Wed Mar 28 2018 9:29am
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Having read all the stories it seems this is not uncommon. I don't like fixed tow bar so went next best thing, an after market
Flange Detachable Tow Bar - Tow Trust TL1HKF

Sturdy piece of kit, receiver is braced by two arms between the rails. Β£200

Click image to enlarge

Did a write up with some more pics if you do a search.

Post #552524 Wed Mar 28 2018 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1