RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > HDC Fault and grinding noise from underneath
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Flinders

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
HDC Fault and grinding noise from underneath

Our RRS 2006 2.7 has been parked up for weeks until we started it a couple of weeks ago to take her for a run as she had been stood for so long. She started ok and after a few minutes the HDC warning comes on and the suspension drops and there is a grinding/groaning noise from the left hand side when driving forward. The dashboard also has amber lights on but I can't recall which as it is my husband that is driving.

Is this the battery affecting the suspension due to low battery with being stood so long or could this be something to do with suspension? The compressor is working and there is no noise from it but if we try to drive a few miles the dash gives a warning of overheating compressor.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If just a battery we can get changed but if going to be more serious then we will have to get her to the garage somehow as unable to drive her far.

Post #551644 Fri Mar 16 2018 11:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It could be either a brake has bound on or the Electronic Parking Brake has corroded on. I get the latter every time I leave my car outside on the drive for more than 3 weeks - as I work overseas a lot that means I come back to the car 99% with a bound on Parking Brake and therevis no way to leave it disengaged as it will automatically engage on both L320 and L494 RRS’s after 10 minutes. The HDC fault could be caused by that too as it monitors wheel rotations on each wheel. I don’t know why it would cause the suspension to lower though. It could be that you have a leak in one of the suspension doughnuts or the heat from the bound on Brake is causing a problem for the suspension 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #551646 Fri Mar 16 2018 11:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flinders

Thanks Tim not thought about the brakes sticking on. Thank you. It moves forwards but it makes the awful noise. I think we are better getting it to the garage rather than just replacing the battery. Typical... we have had the car 3 years waiting for snow and in the Beast from the East dumping a load of snow the RRS is parked up ...broken! With another dumping of snow due this weekend the X6 is certainly being tested in this snow while our RRS girl sits watching the world slide by! Lol!

Post #551647 Fri Mar 16 2018 11:28pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
as I work overseas a lot that means I come back to the car 99% with a bound on Parking Brake and therevis no way to leave it disengaged as it will automatically engage on both L320 and L494 RRS’s after 10 minutes.

Not on a 2006 L320, Tim. Perfectly ok to leave it in Park without the EPB engaged and it'll sit there as long as you like. If the vehicle is being left for a period of time on a level bit of ground, I'd leave it in Park without the EPB applied. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #551648 Fri Mar 16 2018 11:58pm
dotty

Jersey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Re: HDC Fault and grinding noise from underneath

Flinders wrote:
Our RRS 2006 2.7 has been parked up for weeks until we started it a couple of weeks ago to take her for a run as she had been stood for so long. She started ok and after a few minutes the HDC warning comes on and the suspension drops and there is a grinding/groaning noise from the left hand side when driving forward. The dashboard also has amber lights on but I can't recall which as it is my husband that is driving.

Is this the battery affecting the suspension due to low battery with being stood so long or could this be something to do with suspension? The compressor is working and there is no noise from it but if we try to drive a few miles the dash gives a warning of overheating compressor.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If just a battery we can get changed but if going to be more serious then we will have to get her to the garage somehow as unable to drive her far.

Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue..

Post #572777 Thu Jan 10 2019 6:02pm
Flinders

Hi Dotty we did resolve this after trying a few things. First we changed the battery then the brake switch. The faults were still there and the grinding noise too. Left her parked up for a fair while until we took the plunge to take her to the garage expecting a massive bill for compressor or something worse....

After the drive down to the garage the grinding stopped...presume brakes from her being stood so long had freed off with the drive.....

The rest.... we got the call from the garage.... expecting £££££’s it cost us £50! Yup only £50 for a few checks to say no probs found and to clear the codes. It seems sensors were confused and were saying wheels were pointing one way when they were straight and the height sensors saying height was in a different position probably all caused when the battery was flat then changed.

Sorted all this and she passed her MOT and 2 week later council bin wagon hit her so hard when she was parked up she got written off Big Cry Censored

Post #572805 Thu Jan 10 2019 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1