RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > My first and probably last Range Rover.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

paddyh747

United Kingdom 
My first and probably last Range Rover.

Possibly a bit of an impulse buy but got myself a 15 plate HSE Dynamic at the start of feb and have to say how disappointed I have been. Only has 17k on it.
Got it on a Friday and by the Tuesday it was at my local dealer for about 3 weeks, New downpipe, mount and few other bits. Not really a good sign when the workshops are so backlogged. Probably because all the cars are Censored .
I have a 17 plate audi S4 and in comparison the audi is light years ahead in quality. Even my wife’s Q3 the Range Rover replaced was more impressive.
Lesson learnt not to jump in feet first just because I’ve always wanted one as it’s seriously disappointed. Now I’m stuck with the thing for the next 2-3 years 😂😂
Will be sticking to audi next time or possibly an X5 if I can talk the wife into it.

Anyone else find Land Rover highly overrated.

Post #551465 Thu Mar 15 2018 2:23pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Paddy is this the one you went across the water for? 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #551469 Thu Mar 15 2018 2:51pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: My first and probably last Range Rover.

paddyh747 wrote:

Anyone else find Land Rover highly overrated.

If you just want a road car, then there are other options out there that will do the job and do so cheaper.

If you want a Land Rover for the stuff that Land Rovers do so well, there are no other options other than the Jap stuff or pickups. Try taking the Audi or the X5 off road and you'll be stuck in no time at all. The RRS will have done it all and had you home for tea and medals while the BMW is still waiting rescue.

You just can't compare the Audi/BMW to a RRS. Different beasts altogether. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #551472 Thu Mar 15 2018 3:19pm
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

It is the one I went over the water for.

I wasn’t comparing them for off-road ability I was comparing them for quality and finish. Sorry but my opinion is my audi is head and shoulders above for finish and quality.

Post #551478 Thu Mar 15 2018 4:08pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I changed my much loved 2005 L320 2.7 V6 HSE for a 2014 L494 3.0 V6 HSE last year and I am very disappointed with that too. It does everything that the old car did, but less well.

I wish I had kept the old car and the money.

First I did not realize it had no low range, otherwise I wouldn`t have bought it. After that, the handling is less stable, the transmission less smooth, the steering less communicative, the seats less comfortable and everyone says there is less room in the back. The touchscreen dash is just rubbish and keyless entry is the solution to a problem that nobody had thought of.

The one saving grace is that it does have more power, but much less enjoyable to drive. As for having no dipstick, well whose stupid idea was that?

I am not even comparing to another brand, just my old RRS. It has taught me to be much more careful about roadtesting and inspecting before I buy. I thought it would be just an update on the old car, not the electronic frippery display that it is.

I shall never buy another.

Post #551481 Thu Mar 15 2018 4:31pm
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

I also have learnt a valuable lesson not to buy on a whim.
I was never going to be using it off-road I wanted something bigger for my wife and more capable towing the Caravan which it does very well.
My wife actually feels less safe in it than in the Q3, today every slight puddle the car aqua planed at every chance.

I was just expecting more I suppose. It is a great car just not as great as I was expecting.

Post #551488 Thu Mar 15 2018 4:46pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Aqua planing will be tyre choice, nothing to do with a car Rolling Eyes . My ST used to aquaplane dangerously.....until I put 4 good tyres on it! Steve.

Post #551490 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:04pm
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

I would like to have thought that oe spec continental tyres all with about 6mm on them would be adequate. It’s not like it has cheap ting tongs or the likes on it. 😂

Post #551493 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:12pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Not really a good sign when the workshops are so backlogged. Probably because all the cars are Censored

most likely because its March and the workshops are rammed with new vehicle preps Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #551494 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

Don’t think that what’s causing the backlog. When you take a drive round the compound (more
Like a small town for my local dealers for all makes) there are Land Rovers parked everywhere. When I made a comment to the service advisor I got that look agreeing but not wanting to actually say anything.

Post #551503 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:25pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

yea our compound is full as well, of new vehicles - the service compound not so much as its March Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #551504 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

Trust me they are not new vehicles. Plus I’m in ni so there’s no exact plate change dates here so don’t think there would be a mad rush like there is in the mainland.

Post #551506 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:30pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that. I'm really happy with mine. Few occasional niggles with the ICE but the quality of the cabin in JLR cars, specifically top of the range versions, is excellent - a much nicer place to sit, in my opinion, than Audi and Mercedes (which aren't bad, but not as good), and at least as good as BMW. The only question I keep asking myself from time to time is should I have bought an SVR?

I was looking for one a couple of years old but eventually ended up buying new. Unfortunately people often move on from cars because they have niggle with it - which then shows up after you've had it for awhile or when you get your first service. Have to budget for that, or get a good warranty. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #551510 Thu Mar 15 2018 5:45pm
IRBails

Australia 

well although I am a knocker about some things Range Rover, cabin ambience is not one of them. My RRS is my preference vehicle to take out , beats the SQ5 R50 and and other Euro products in the cabin ambience IMO. Yes it may disappoint those that are just buying the Brand , there are a lot of similarly priced or better price road vehicles , but for a full on 4WD it is pretty hard to beat. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #551544 Thu Mar 15 2018 9:10pm
paddyh747

United Kingdom 

I think I’m maybe just a bit cheesed off with it being in LR for 3 weeks after only getting it. I’m hoping when I get it detailed and ceramic coating done I will fall in love again.
I bought it as I always wanted one and no other reason really. I have no need for a proper off road vehicle. I just love the look of the sport.
Let’s hope it can make me fall in love with it.

Post #551548 Thu Mar 15 2018 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>