Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS - Picking up this week
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JCow17

United Kingdom 
RRS - Picking up this week

Hi all,

My first topic posted and just incredibly thankful to this website and everyone's valuable knowledge.

I'm picking up a 2011 RRS SDV6 this week (very excited - my first one) from an independent dealer (tried going through LR dealership but finding that pre-2013 SDV6's are getting snapped up quickly). It's in great condition with FLRSH (Pentland), 45k miles and I'll have a full check of the car completed today as well.

It comes with a 12-month warranty from 'Auto-Protect' - does anyone have any experience with them? Otherwise I'd be quite happy to purchase my own warranty from Warranty Wise or Warranty Direct - if anyone could feedback which is best to go with?

Thanks in advance for any comments, wouldn't have had the confidence to buy without looking here first.

Cheers,
James

Post #550500 Mon Mar 05 2018 1:33pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Nice one mate. Don`t forget to get some pics up when you get it Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #550512 Mon Mar 05 2018 3:51pm
kismet110

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Nice one on the RRS, hope it goes well and as mentioned some pics please!

Can't comment on the warranty, hopefully someone else can help but if not maybe be enough info on that company vs others online.

Post #550650 Tue Mar 06 2018 8:47pm
JCow17

United Kingdom 
RRS - Update...

Picked the car up yesterday, super chuffed to finally be driving it!

We did have a minor issue re. insurance however, our current provider (Churchill) wouldn't insure us without having a tracker fitted. In the end we called A-Plan and they put us in touch with Mulsanne who gave us a very competitive quote (inc. breakdown cover). Will certainly be calling A-Plan again next year.

We still might get the tracker, a Cat 5 Thatcham approved one looks to be around £600-700 fitted, then subscription for 3 years at around £550...let me know if anyone has any experience of these?

Also, re. warranty we called LR and with the car under 100k miles (currently 45k) they can do a pre-inspection for £270 and warrant the car (following any necessary works done) for £1360/yr...once our 12-month warranty with Auto-Protect expires we'll probably look into this.

Photos to follow soon!

Post #550704 Wed Mar 07 2018 2:50pm
kismet110

Congrats on the car, pics ASAP please Smile

Regards Tracker, I had one previously on an BMW X5M but never had call to need it and wasn't madly happy about having to pay the yearly subs for it to be honest but it's entirely up to you; if the car IS stolen you might not want it back if the toerags have made a mess of it.

The LR warranty does sound a little on the steep side, not sure if you get anything above and beyond a similar Warranty Direct one? As an example my 4.2 S/C was originally around £60 a month and high level of cover with no pre-inspection cost so that equated to around £700 per annum.

Yours being a newer vehicle should be cheaper as more reliable etc although I bought mine 7 years ago so relatively speaking it was around the same age.

Post #550705 Wed Mar 07 2018 3:02pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I bought my TDV8 two years ago from an independent car dealer and they put a 15 month warranty on it from The Autogroup. Never heard of them! At renewal in a June last year they contacted me with what I thought were reasonable terms for a 2 year extension to the warranty. It was their highest level “Optimum” and they have now paid out over £2300 in repairs at a warranty cost for me for the 3.5 years of £969 (so still 15 months to run). And that means I will still have this warranty after the car reaches 10 years old which it has just done. Biggest claim was for a new front diff but I’ve had lower wishbones, wheel bearings, alternator all covered by warranty. My only gripe is that they decided that replacement rear shockers was down to wear and tear and not failure so they didn’t cover me for that.

At the end of the day, we need different things from our warranty company (e.g. courtesy car, or not etc.) so you need to check your small print carefully to see that it suits you before handing over any cash. Make sure the one you are getting suits your needs but as you can see from the above a lot is covered by Autogroup for relatively little money. If you want to be fully covered for virtually anything, then you’ll pay more. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #550718 Wed Mar 07 2018 6:15pm
JCow17

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback chaps, much appreciated.

I’ll see how this warranty pans out over the next 12 months and keep you posted, but will certainly do the research at renewal time, especially given the charges LR are asking.

Keeping an open mind on the tracker, especially as it’s not been easy finding a RRS in this spec/condition so I may well want it back!

Cheers

Post #550764 Thu Mar 08 2018 8:34am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Eaters wrote:
I bought my TDV8 two years ago from an independent car dealer and they put a 15 month warranty on it from The Autogroup. Never heard of them! At renewal in a June last year they contacted me with what I thought were reasonable terms for a 2 year extension to the warranty. It was their highest level “Optimum” and they have now paid out over £2300 in repairs at a warranty cost for me for the 3.5 years of £969 (so still 15 months to run). And that means I will still have this warranty after the car reaches 10 years old which it has just done. Biggest claim was for a new front diff but I’ve had lower wishbones, wheel bearings, alternator all covered by warranty. My only gripe is that they decided that replacement rear shockers was down to wear and tear and not failure so they didn’t cover me for that.

At the end of the day, we need different things from our warranty company (e.g. courtesy car, or not etc.) so you need to check your small print carefully to see that it suits you before handing over any cash. Make sure the one you are getting suits your needs but as you can see from the above a lot is covered by Autogroup for relatively little money. If you want to be fully covered for virtually anything, then you’ll pay more.

One more thing about The Autogroup and maybe others - and as an example in connection with "read the small print" - The Autogroup state that they will always go for pattern parts rather than LR originals whenever they can so if you are keen to have only LR originals, then this Group are not for you. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #550776 Thu Mar 08 2018 12:23pm
JCow17

United Kingdom 

First photo up!

Post #550910 Sat Mar 10 2018 1:10pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Nice mate, I do like grey Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #550911 Sat Mar 10 2018 1:23pm
JCow17

United Kingdom 

And a couple from when I first went to see it in the snow

Post #550912 Sat Mar 10 2018 1:30pm
kismet110

Looks lush that does mate, great colour too.

Hope it gives you plenty of enjoyable driving; thinking of doing any tweaks to it?

Post #550915 Sat Mar 10 2018 1:39pm
JCow17

United Kingdom 

Loving it so far, hoping this honeymoon period stays for a while longer!

Not sure about tweaks yet, want to spend the next several months just getting used to it and understanding the car, I’ve also got the big 7ry service due so need to keep an eye on the pennies. I’m keen to do an EDT flush and just make sure it’s as mechanically sound as possible...an endless task I know!

Depending on warranty situation, an ECU remap may be in the cards in the not too distant future

Post #550922 Sat Mar 10 2018 3:03pm
kismet110

Makes sense, better to drive for a while to get used to things and of course the essentials come first.

When I got mine I held on for a while then once up to speed did quite a bit to personalise it without it getting too blingy or crude.

ECU remap should give you a great boost in torque Smile

Post #550924 Sat Mar 10 2018 3:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1