RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > HELP Please! - L494 Front Suspension Noise?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

rickshaw

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
HELP Please! - L494 Front Suspension Noise?

I would welcome your comments and input on your own experiences of the L494.....

I previously reported that I had noticed a knocking noise from the front suspension of my new MY18 HSE Dynamic.

It reminded me of the Anti-Roll Bar bush problems that many us have experienced on the older model Sports!!

The dealer initially diagnosed a problem with either anti-roll bar bushes or lower suspension arm bushes and the car was booked in for repair. When the car was returned I was told that all bushes were OK but the problem was connected with the 'Dynamic Response Unit' which they had now sorted.

Annoyingly the problem is still there!!

Having never driven another L494 I have nothing to compare with. So the question is can anybody tell me if I should expect to hear any knocking noises at all from the L494 front suspension??

Quite frankly my new Sport is noisier from the front suspension than my 5 Year old L320 which it replaced......

Any comments or feedback most welcome.

Post #550597 Tue Mar 06 2018 9:37am
RobF

United Kingdom 

The good news is, you're not alone. Mine is a 16MY and I've noticed this develop recently and as you say, it's similar to the ARB problem that used to plague my '09 D3.

It's annoying rather than anything else at the moment so I plan to report it when it goes in for service next: about 1500 miles so I better book it in now and I bet I'll still have exceeded the mileage by the time they can fit me in. No wonder JLR don't care.

I had a 13MY before and this didn't do it, but it had a host of other issues.

Post #550604 Tue Mar 06 2018 10:42am
wilf

I have this too.

Reported it twice now, no fault found. Asked to take it back "when it gets worse".

It is a really annoying knock - doesn't do it all the time, random almost. I go over some potholes and all is silent and then the next day the slightest ripple on the road will create a heavy knock.

My suspicion is the fault lies within the damper units internal to the air suspension legs.

The knock definitely was not there to begin with - first heard it about a year ago, at around 25k miles. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #550613 Tue Mar 06 2018 1:12pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

i am also having this now, started around a 6 months ago, get a knocking sound from front or back but not all the time so reproducing is hard. Generally seems to come when road has uneven surface and generally while turning rather then for pot holes.
Mentioned during last dealer visit but apparently all bushes are ok and everything looks fine to the mechanic.

Post #550639 Tue Mar 06 2018 8:23pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Noticed some knocking last week, then realized that the car was in auto terrain (rare for me), then realized that in auto if the temperature is low the rear diff will partially lock on pulling away, then decided the knock was this.

No idea if true. 

Post #550645 Tue Mar 06 2018 8:52pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Having never driven another L494 I have nothing to compare with. So the question is can anybody tell me if I should expect to hear any knocking noises at all from the L494 front suspension??

Absolutely not! completely incompetent dealer. I had Knocking front suspension on my old sport , was sorted straight away without any issues by a non UK dealer i might add. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #550651 Tue Mar 06 2018 9:51pm
JamieLC

United Kingdom 

Hi Guys sorry i know this is an old post but did anybody get to the bottom of this noise? I also have this annoying noise. I only hear it when im going over uneven roads at slow speeds, almost sounds as if something is bottoming out?

However i do recall last time it was at the dealers they mentioned that the anti roll bar bushes were looking a bit worn but nothing to worry about at the time. Is this more than likely the cause?

Post #595766 Sat Feb 29 2020 4:58am
rickshaw

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I submitted this post originally. My dealer thought it was roll bar bushes (which was a surprise on a brand new car!). However this did not solve the problem. The car was then in the dealers for 5 weeks and despite involvement from Land Rover technical they were unable to solve the issue...... In the end I rejected the car and the replacement (when it eventually arrived) has been good - to date.

Post #595772 Sat Feb 29 2020 9:48am
JamieLC

United Kingdom 

yeah you do right rejecting it with a brand new car. I think i will just start with the roll bar bushes and go from there. Its hard to get someone else to listen out for the noise as it does not happen all the time. My wife misses it every time. Whistle

Post #595833 Sun Mar 01 2020 4:35am
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, anyway here goes.
I have had the car for two years and its my first RRS, one of the earliest new shape, MY2014. Currently 80k on the clock.
Without having anything to compare it to, there has always been a bit of suspension noise when going over a drain or pothole. Its never really bothered me but at my last service the Indy told me that he thought the knocking was something to be looked at and offered to do the bushes using genuine parts for £175. Would take less than 2 hours. He recommended LR rather than polybushes as he said they can make the ride a bit harder.

I'm fairly happy with the service I get but was wondering if this just opens up a can of worms in that after one set of bushes is done, is there a domino effect and others start to need attention as well.

Do I need to get the wheels aligned after this?

Thanks for any advice RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #625511 Tue Jul 19 2022 3:20pm
Rangespbru

United Kingdom 

Just bought myself a L494 with 61000 miles on the clock first of the new shape. Had a clunking coming from drivers front suspension going over speed bumps. Has the lower suspension arms and D bushes changed but still clunking. Doesn’t do it every day and even though the dealer admits they can hear it on a road test they can’t replicate the clunk on the ramps and as such don’t know what is causing it. Could be the ARB bushes straight arms, upper suspension arms or air suspension. Anybody get there clunking sorted as it’s driving me mad😡

Post #633154 Thu May 18 2023 11:50am
Karlp606

Just putting my 2 pence out here, Ive had some squeaking on the front going over small bumps at low speeds, no knocking.

Narrowed it down to the ARB bushes, car was in for service and MOT (full pass btw!) this week and I asked them to look at swapping out the bushes for new ones to stop the squeak.

They checked the bushes and found them to be in good order, just gave them a clean with some silicone spray, the mechanic did mention on L494s to always check the fluid level for the active roll bar as this can cause noise if the fluid is low and also if you always have the car in auto mode the active roll bar sort of seizes in that mode if its just left in auto , which I imagine most peoples are in auto for years, he said try putting in a few different modes, dynamic etc and drive it for abit this will get the active roll bar working and the hydraulic system moving.

So after a few days of driving it in dynamic mode coupled with the silicone spray the squeaking noise has pretty much gone!

He said also temperature changes can adjust the bushes , cold weather they shrink and warm weather they expand , he said your more likely to get suspension noise in colder weather as everything will be slightly a few mm out due to the contraction of bushes, bump stops etc..

Hope this helps.. Thumbs Up

Post #633195 Fri May 19 2023 10:56am
Rangespbru

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that information. I was going to gave the ARB links disconnected to see if the noise stops but I’ll try putting it in dynamic mode for a few days first.

Post #633223 Sat May 20 2023 1:26pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Front arm bushes split, and give a vagueness and a knock when worn. Relatively cheap to replace

Click image to enlarge

Rear arms on the front end dust covers split, water gets in and wears the ball joints, and bushes wear too. Ball joints cannot be replaced separately, so not a cheap job to replace

And as said, ARB bushes can knock too. If you can move the roll bar from side to side with relative ease, these will most likely be the cause of the knock. In my experience, they tend to last around 50-60k miles...

These were all done on a 2016 L405 with 62k miles, and passed an MOT with no advisories only 3 months ago Thumbs Up

Post #633225 Sat May 20 2023 1:46pm
Karlp606

Good to know that Mikey thank you Thumbs Up Cool - can you replace the front/rear bushes on axle stands? Or is there not enough room to get hold of everything?

Post #633239 Sun May 21 2023 7:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>