RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter Tyres - what should I do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Winter Tyres - what should I do?

I'm thinking about purchasing some winter tyres for my RRS. It has 20 inch wheels and, for reasons too long winded to go into here (although my saga has all been played out on this forum) I am thinking along the lines of some 3 peaks tyres I can swap onto my existing rims each Autumn (£25 charge at my local garage) and then swap back in the Spring. Currently for everyday use I am running Uniroyal 275/40 R20 106Y which I find are performing well albeit there are signs (supported by my local indie) that the edges are wearing more than the rest of the tread. I didn't use them much during the recent bad weather but when I did they seemed to perform well.

I was thinking that a bit more comfort and cushioning might be a good idea and am led to believe that 45 profile tyres will fit just fine. So has anyone any views on a good tyre to keep in the garage for the summer to bring out each Autumn? Or should I just get a set of good all rounders when the Uniroyals wear out? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #550550 Mon Mar 05 2018 9:13pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

On my L494 i have a set of Pirelli winter tyres with the snow symbol,, 255,55,20. They have performed extremely well over the last few days.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #550567 Mon Mar 05 2018 10:40pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

When I had my RRS bought a set of 19" alloys and fitted continental winters to them - the ride was a big improvement but I never really tested there effectiveness due to mild winters

I kept the 20" Pirelli scorpions for summer because they scared me first winter I used them

Tyrefitter (Andy) has been swapping my 18" Toyo summer and continental winters twice a year on the Phev and last week I finally tested them so now convinced they're worth having - I was considering Michelin cross climates all year up to this point

I've just found a set of alloys on eBay reasonable price so will be back to 2 sets and save twice a year swap - sorry Andy last big breakfast in April Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #550574 Mon Mar 05 2018 11:07pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

Can't comment about the tyres, but I would give careful thought re: buying a new set of rims c/w tyres; it makes the swap from winter to summer & vice versa MUCH easier. You can also go for smaller wheels for the winter tyres which is a good thing.

Post #550590 Tue Mar 06 2018 7:36am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Buy a set of the correct 19in rims for your TDV8 and run winters on those. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #550595 Tue Mar 06 2018 8:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1