RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > I’ve been busy.... engine and chassis cleanup...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
I’ve been busy.... engine and chassis cleanup...

I know it’s a Disco, not a sport, but thought some of you may be interetsed.

Mmmm...... might have had a busy day today.....

Some of you may know, that last March, I had a month of a nightmare car after 10 years of being a nice car, I had wiring issues, changed gearbox/TC/transfer box (just proactively), then the turbo went, replaced it then 1,000 miles later, big ends went... been a driveway ornamental storage area since end of March!

Recovery truck was an hour late grrrr!

Got it to James Holmes place in Bedworth for around 11ish, unloaded and in the workshop ready for a brew for 12.

Decided after taking the bumpers and arches off, that there was just too much crap from off road remnants, so we rolled it outside and gave it a good steam clean.
Bit of Pyrenees, Wales, England, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg mud was deposited!

Rolled it back in and then methodically went through the bits that needed to be removed and disconnected. A few troublesome bits, like brake pipe and a body mount bolt that LR had used super torque on!
A bit of bolt head welding managed to transform the 15mm into a 23mm and provided enough grip to release the pesky blighter!

Once the body was separated, a little nervous to say the least!

We marked the floor where the tyres are and the tyres so we can hopefully align it back up again.

Rolled the now separated chassis out for another steam clean of the chassis. And it needed it!

So, that’s where we’ve left it after airing out as much of the water as possible.

Instalment 2 tomorrow.

This pic, is behind the rear wheel arch, signs of corrosion as this is where the mud builds up.

So engine off tomorrow and the cleanup of the chassis begins!! Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #549651 Sun Feb 25 2018 9:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Day2 in the big brother house.....

Ok, Day2 in the engine swap process.

Engine out this morning, went all very well.

I couldn’t for the life of me work out why LR tell you to remove the front upper wishbone... engine is out and I still can’t work out why they tell you to remove it.

Glad I didn’t blindly follow the LR instructions! Would have taken longer I’m sure!

Anyway, old and new engines together, just the ancillaries and bits to swap over. Note the latest oil pump on as expected.
Oil dipstick pipe has a little kink in it, so the dipstick doesn’t come in and out easily. So on the lookout for another if I can in time.

James started on transferring the ancillaries this afternoon whilst I got busy with my new bestest friend, the Needle gun!

Made short work of the multitude of rust spots (mainly on the welds) around the engine Bay Area. More prep tomorrow and then get some paint on!

Air compressor tank should have been with the engine, but alas it didn’t make it! So supplier ordered another one and should be here tomorrow.

Today’s cash eater was the turbo, you can see some movement on the video, so thanks to Pete Bell @ Bell Autos (BAS) for supplying a new turbo en route for Thursday.

Probably won’t see that much difference tomorrow as most of the day will be spent on Chassis and body rust prep and cleaning. Resulting in the first coat of some new black stuff to help it last a few more years!

Bodsys Brake Bible
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #549652 Sun Feb 25 2018 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Ok, so day 3/4

What a long day! Finished last night at just after 11.30pm

But managed to at least get some paint on the chassis engine area.

A couple more challenges thrown our way...

Dismantling of the engine bits to transfer to the new one, specifically the crank case breather, and some proper gloopy oily sludge was in it. Looks like Oil way to water in the head gasket may have gone first, causing the breather to block up (and probably everything else!)
Won’t bother taking the heads off etc as it’s going back to LR.

So ordered a new breather and oil turbo feed tube as it really wasn’t worth trying to clean them up and risk the new turbo that also arrived today!

Oil dipstick was slightly ‘sticky’ getting in and out, and another tiny dent in the tube meant it wasn’t worth spending time trying to re round the tube. Another one ordered.

The water outlet on the side of the engine was brittle, and stuck in the engine. Another one ordered.

More cleaning up of the chassis and we managed to get onto cleaning the underside of the body. Another couple of hours to finish the prep tomorrow morning and then onto 2nd coat for the engine Bay Area and 1st coat for the rest of the chassis and underside of the body.

Taking slightly longer than planned, but jeez! These cars are Biiiiig!

Had a couple of visitors during the day and both separately commented on how big the chassis looks when it’s separated from the body.

More Needle gun work undertaken by the child labour team...

So not much more to take pics of at the moment. Will take some more after more paints been applied.

Talking of paint, I mixed too much up yesterday, so left some in the plastic pot.

This is 2k paint, and normally you would have a skin of paint and then wet paint underneath.
This mega tough paint was still curing, so not yet solid, thanks still, very very tough.
You can see how thick the paint is when I put a screwdriver in and twist it up.
So the chassis should be very very well protected for the future!

Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #549653 Sun Feb 25 2018 9:10am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

So the last couple of days and a few extra hours today, was all about even more prep, then painting, painting and more painting.

Anglefire came over in his Spitfire to give us a hand.

Mind you, he was asleep on the job.....

Came back in today to finish off the painting and start putting clips back on and re attached the centre and rear valve blocks after changing all the seals.

Rear anti roll bar was removed the other day although the drop links needed some assistance to release the nuts today.

Plenty of coverage on the rear of the body especially the mud trap behind the front part of the wheelarch as that was where most of the surface corrosion was.

So, Sunday off!

Back in on Monday for engine back on the chassis and see how the day goes! Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #549654 Sun Feb 25 2018 9:10am
Farmer Chalk

Keep up the great work and photos! Anything else on the chassis you are changing whilst easy access? Very Happy

Post #549656 Sun Feb 25 2018 9:33am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

So, I’ve been asked about what I’ve changed and replaced and other bits being done whilst the body is off...
Chassis and body needle gun, wire wheel, DA sander and scotchbrite prep
Corroless 2k paint https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-2k-ex...ck-5-litre
Corroless Vapour Corrosion Inhibiter cavity wax protection https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-cci-4...biting-wax

Air suspension cylinder
Service all Air valve blocks with new seals
New captive nuts for compressor
Rear ARB bar complete bar and bushes. (front changed last year or so)
Replace Body mount bushes where worn
Remove/replace the epb bracket bolts inc case needed to remove in the future
Renew Brake pipes where needed
Egr coolers
New LR Engine!
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Turbo
Turbo oil feed pipe
Injector seals
Return pipe seals/clips
Engine breather canister and pipes
Side water outlet assembly (not to be confused with the usual top one)
Oil dipstick pipe
Aux belt tensioner
Aux belt
Inner wing front liner
Replace split Fbh exhaust
Washer bottle sensor
Coolant bottle cap
Replace broken Electrical connector retaining clip for plug in rear wheel arch
Oat coolant
Cold climate steering fluid
Re-gas aircon Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #549663 Sun Feb 25 2018 10:46am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Great work mate, will she be gracing Spain again this year for the Party? If so we will catch up with a beer or 10 Whistle Laughing 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #549665 Sun Feb 25 2018 10:56am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Great job you are doing Thumbs Up Like the number plate ECO MUD, not just ordinary mud Rolling with laughter Keep it up

Post #549667 Sun Feb 25 2018 11:04am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Buckster wrote:
Great work mate, will she be gracing Spain again this year for the Party? If so we will catch up with a beer or 10 Whistle Laughing

You know I don’t drink....... Whistle

Anyway, unfortunately it’s a week earlier than expected, so whilst we’ll still have a pyrenees or similar trip, it will be the following weekend. Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #549670 Sun Feb 25 2018 11:56am
Farmer Chalk

Bodsy wrote:
So, I’ve been asked about what I’ve changed and replaced and other bits being done whilst the body is off...
Chassis and body needle gun, wire wheel, DA sander and scotchbrite prep
Corroless 2k paint https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-2k-ex...ck-5-litre
Corroless Vapour Corrosion Inhibiter cavity wax protection https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-cci-4...biting-wax

Air suspension cylinder
Service all Air valve blocks with new seals
New captive nuts for compressor
Rear ARB bar complete bar and bushes. (front changed last year or so)
Replace Body mount bushes where worn
Remove/replace the epb bracket bolts inc case needed to remove in the future
Renew Brake pipes where needed
Egr coolers
New LR Engine!
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Turbo
Turbo oil feed pipe
Injector seals
Return pipe seals/clips
Engine breather canister and pipes
Side water outlet assembly (not to be confused with the usual top one)
Oil dipstick pipe
Aux belt tensioner
Aux belt
Inner wing front liner
Replace split Fbh exhaust
Washer bottle sensor
Coolant bottle cap
Replace broken Electrical connector retaining clip for plug in rear wheel arch
Oat coolant
Cold climate steering fluid
Re-gas aircon

Censored

Post #549676 Sun Feb 25 2018 12:43pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

top! RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #549688 Sun Feb 25 2018 3:06pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
following on the other side Whistle

although not sure why as it depresses me how much is needed Big Cry Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #549693 Sun Feb 25 2018 4:32pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Very nice. Oh how I would love to treat my TDV8 to a similar bit of future-proofing. Sadly, unless someone starts offering this as a service I can't see it happening.

Maybe some enterprising guys could start something up - along the lines of the 'detailing' business model? I know there are a handful of businesses offering underbody sealing but the great majority get terrible reviews; most don't even take the wheelarch liners off.

If someone offered a body off proper chassis protection treatment with all the usual problem areas attended to as Bodsy has then I wonder how many owners would go for it? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #549696 Sun Feb 25 2018 5:28pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

It’s the price to not only protect the chassis, which I guess would be about £3k to split the body and prepare before paint but all of the other bits that may need to be done or you may want to have changed
It’s a good two weeks of work to do it properly.

That’s a lot of money to spend normally. I really don’t think many people would spend that money pro actively Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #549699 Sun Feb 25 2018 5:58pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

So, Monday came and went, but we managed to get the body back on and bolted back up.

To make it easier to line back up as the chassis had been rolled in and out that many times, it was never going to be exactly in the right spot.

A couple of people had suggested a plumb line to get it ‘about right’ and someone else suggested some cut off bolts at the corners to slot into the body mounts.

This worked really well, along with four wheel dolleys meant we could easily manoeuvre it into the right place.

Some slight adjustment and tweaking as it got closer and slotted back on without much of a problem.
Caught the gearselector cable on the fuel tank but managed to free it up easily enough.

Decided to leave the electrics connecting for that night until Thursday as I had a couple of full days of paying work already booked in.

So we left it at that and James carried on Tuesday and Wednesday with the additional wax cavity spraying https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-cci-4...biting-wax as well as surprising me by fitting the centre silencer delete pipes I had from Griffin and connecting up replacement brake pipes where needed and bleeding through

The ‘wax’ has a 4 year life, goes on clear and dries to a tough clear finish.
Much cleaner and easier to apply than the dreadful waxoyl.

So Thursday We got the car started, which was a tremendous relief!

Sounds lovely, runs lovely and injector values were great.
Up to temperature ok, bled through water etc and then set about reconnecting wheel arches.
There was a suspension fault, that I put down to the fact it was still in the air, so knew it would be either one of the valve blocks that I’d rebuilt or a connector or a chaffed wire.

One of the rear bolts that holds the bumper on, the factory rivnut was turning, so we replaced that and a few other little bits and pieces.

Was getting late Thursday and I didn’t have the connector info I needed to see where the wires terminated to be able to check out the suspension faults in more detail.

Drive home in some pretty bad snow on the m54, saw at least 12 other cars that had either hit someone else or hit the barrier or just spun down off the hard shoulder. This was in the T6, so a bit of cautious driving saw me home ok.

Back to it on the Friday and my iPad wouldn’t allow me to see the topix connector information, so some additional pics and pdfs from Clive Symons and Allan Thrower helped to quickly identify the right connector. Not surprisingly, all the faults connected back to one connector and after double checking, realised that the connector wasn’t quite fully clicked in place. Easily solved in the end.
Except another suspension fault popped up for the front valve block.

We’d had trouble getting this connector to click, but it did succumb the day before.
But somehow it had popped off and so once re clicked into place, some judicial use of cable ties to keep it there for the moment. And suddenly all of the suspension faults disappeared! So no broken wires or fault rebuilt valve blocks, just simple connectors!

A couple of test drives to double check for temperature and air and leaks etc, managed to identify a small diesel leak from the leak off pipe. One seal replaced again as it had a little nick in it.
Seemed to do the job.

Then the excitement of the drive home!
What a great drive, felt great t be back behind the wheel. I needed to get it back on Friday as the mot runs out at the end of the day!

So currently it’s sat back on the drive, MOT supposed to be Monday, but the diesel leak has re appeared, so I’ll just replace the leak off pipe completely which I’m hoping will cure it before having its MOT later in the week.

So, what next....?

Well, there’s still the underside of the chassis to clean up and protect as we’d concentrated on the tops and sides of the chassis whilst it was on the floor. I think I’ll need to order some more 2k paint for that.
Will also need to put the winch tray back on after another cleanup and fix the winch of course.

As a celebration, after it’s passed it’s mot, I’ll be getting someone to give the beast a proper deep clean.

The ride is a little unsettled, but I put that down to being off the body and I’ve changed the most worn body mounts as well as the rear complete ARB bar so I’d expect it to sit a little different to before.

Once the mot sorted, will calibrate the suspension and get the wheel alignment checked.

So that’s it for now anyway, I’ll change the oil/filter in 1,000 miles or so and take it easy for a while.

I’ll let you know when leak sorted and passed the MOT!

Got to put a lot of credit for this to James as without his expertise in getting the fiddly little fecking bits and expertise in broken bolt removal 😂 it would have been a very different story! Many late nights and horribly grubby rust removal work on top of the engine swap. I realise than most wont go to this extent, but hopefully it will go on to last me a few more years yet!

For those that don’t know James, he has a small garage in Bedworth and takes his time to make sure the jobs are done right rather than just rushing jobs through the door.
He also has a D3 and a petrol RRS, so know his way around.
You may also have seen the series LR that has been rebuilt in one of the popular Lr mags, that’s his handiwork as well.

Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #550480 Sun Mar 04 2018 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>