RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Parking sensor - progressive failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Parking sensor - progressive failure

Not sure if my experience is typical but over the last few months the parking sensor system progressively gave trouble.

I have to reverse out of my driveway so both front and rear sensors are activated. First of all there would occasionally be a fault sound but then on the next start all was well. Then later I was getting the fault sound and restarting made no difference but if I cleared the faults with the IID tool all would be well for a few days. Eventually and inevitably the system faulted and neither restarting or clearing the codes helped. At this stage the IID reported a different fault of 'general electrical failure of the front right outer sensor'. Previously I was getting only lost Comms codes although looking at the live data incriminated the front right outer.

Prices for a new sensor vary wildly from £90 odd for a LR sourced part to £6.75 for a Chinese knock-off. I went for a LR Trade Parts generic version at £16 and fitted it today by just removing the headlight and front right foglight to get access. So far - success!

And yes - it was pretty cold out there on the drive. Skiing thermals under the overalls helped a lot. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Last edited by Paddi on Mon Feb 26 2018 1:56pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #549698 Sun Feb 25 2018 6:53pm
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Glad it went well Thumbs Up I had a rear sensor fail and like you went for a bay £20 replacement LR generic. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive. Whilst the sensor worked the calibration of distance pickup was very different to the other 3 genuine sensors. So much so it annoyed me so I got a cheap second hand LR. Hope you had more success!

Post #549742 Mon Feb 26 2018 7:53am
Paddi

Thanks, that is interesting because having read the Owner's Handbook and noted this:

The range of the front sensors, and the two
sensors on the corners of the rear bumper is
approximately 0.6 metres (2 feet).The two
centre rear sensors have a range of
approximately 1.5 metres (5 feet).

Couldn't find out if the range was a function of the individual sensors or the sensor modules.

I searched to see if anyone had issues with aftermarket sensors calibration and found nothing. Will check to see if my new sensor agrees with the other three and report back. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #549766 Mon Feb 26 2018 1:55pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

The cheaper sensors have a shorter range than the factory ones, but other than that they won't cause any problems.

Post #549771 Mon Feb 26 2018 2:41pm
Paddi

I was just interested to see if the new sensor had a different range compared with the originals. So I've been experimenting with the aid of a beer crate and tape measure.
According to the owner's handbook the front sensors have a range of two feet (when the intermittent tone starts) and the system should give a continuous sound at one foot from an obstruction.

I'm pleased to report this new sensor (sourced from LR Trade Parts) appears to have exactly the same range as those already fitted and as per the owner's handbook.

I wonder if it will last as long as an original? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #551349 Wed Mar 14 2018 2:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1