Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fault Code Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

map_rrs

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Fault Code Help

Hi

Have had a diagnostic run by an Indie using the Land Rover tool - much of the report is about Lost Comms type events and each has a Distance (KM) recorded against each.

Having searched the forum I've got answers or at least a vague idea what they mean. However my search didn't help me with a series of Events (Fault Codes) reported which do not have a distance logged against them. As background these NULL Distance Fault Codes also include things like Lost Comms of one sort or another as well as Fuel Level and involve the following ECUs amongst others: AHCM, IPC, PCM

When I asked about these I got the impression that these were likely to be "old" faults that have since been addressed, gone away or were one time events.

Have I understood this last point correctly?

Thanks

Post #548635 Thu Feb 15 2018 7:19am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Lost comms can be battery issues etc so if has no issues then co not worry Thumbs Up

Post #548640 Thu Feb 15 2018 7:54am
map_rrs

Thanks for the feedback - think I may not have been as clear as I could have been.

Some of the fault codes without a distance figure potentially relate to a possible smokey engine problem we're trying to get to the bottom of.

if the codes that don't have a distance figure are "old" or "spent" or no longer valid then we'll look elsewhere for the root cause.

So in summary - if there's no distance against the fault code does this mean the problem is historic/archived and no longer a problem the ECU is currently seeing?

Hopefully I've done a better job of explaining the query.

Thanks again map

Post #548692 Thu Feb 15 2018 1:33pm
geoffsnook

What are the codes if they had a u in front they can be disregarded most of the time if its a P code thats different can you post them on here Thumbs Up

Post #548693 Thu Feb 15 2018 1:37pm
geoffsnook

Sorry do you have any warning lights on dash Thumbs Up

Post #548694 Thu Feb 15 2018 1:38pm
map_rrs

Thanks for sticking with me on this - here is the information that you asked for plus some context.

Recent private purchase of RRS HSE 2006 V6 2.7D

I have driven diesel cars, vans and LGV for 25+ years so my "concerns" are in the context of that experience and why I went to an Indie for the diagnostic.

Engine smokey as you open the throttle - for example pulling away from a junction.

Occasional sense that the engine is lagging behind throttle inputs - more pronounced than turbo lag.

No dashboard warning lights.

Codes:

C1A02-94
P029B-00
P0404-00
P029E-00
P121A-00

Any pointers welcome - I like the car and am happy to make sure it is properly maintained once I understand what I'm up against.

Post #548711 Thu Feb 15 2018 4:11pm
geoffsnook

Have a look here at them as the second one is fuel trim and the 3rd is egr valve so if its smokey you may have egr problems or injector issues Thumbs Up

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Post #548713 Thu Feb 15 2018 4:21pm
geoffsnook

It would appear you may need to have you injectors checked for balance do you have access to an IID tool or something similar to check Thumbs Up

Post #548714 Thu Feb 15 2018 4:27pm
map_rrs

Thanks for the pointers..... Bow down

My existing OBD reader does not seem to compatible with the RRS so may decide to invest in an IID.

Upshot of some more diagnostic work is that 5 of the 6 injectors are at the edge of tolerances - recommendation is to change all 6.

Happy to get this done however the estimate from the LR Authorised Service Centre seemed "steep" to say the least....

....circa £2.5k Rolling with laughter although now I've had a look at injector prices I wonder if that's injectors only.....

What is a sensible guide figure for getting all 6 supplied and changed at a decent Indie?

And secondly - what is a benchmark for having the EGR supplied and replaced by a decent Indie?

In the meantime have put some injector cleaner into the tank and will drive nearly 300 miles in the next 24 hours so fingers crossed that might help.

Post #549031 Sun Feb 18 2018 1:10pm
GodivaNige

England 

New injectors are pricey. As a comparison, I had 6 new OEM injectors fitted in my previously owned Touareg by a local VAG Indy and that bill came in at £2200

You might save a bit on labour by using an Indy but the general upshot is that the new injectors themselves, make up the bulk of the bill.

Post #549033 Sun Feb 18 2018 1:32pm
map_rrs

Thud

Post #549058 Sun Feb 18 2018 4:33pm
map_rrs

OK, I'm a sort of grown up so time to sort this out...

Over the last couple of days I have added injector cleaner to the last two half tanks - engine certainly smoother, much less smokey and more responsive too.

The engine itself has less than 35k miles on it - it is a replacement unit following an oil "mishap" at a garage in the distant past. Since the replacement engine went in the car's barely averaged 5k pa and almost all of those journeys were short runs.

This sort of use profile is not really ideal for a diesel engine so I wonder if decent cleaner and some long motorway runs is actually delivering a tangible benefit. We also have an Evoque and that's always more spritely after a decent, making progress kind of journey.

With this in mind I have seen some posts where the live injector performance seems to be measured using an iDevice and a code reader of some sort - I'm happy using these as I have one for my other non-LR car which allows me to alter config settings and measure real time sensor data across the whole car.

I'd like to track the injector/engine performance over time to see if the cleaning process is delivering a measurable benefit.

It might also help me re-activate the Cruise Control which worked Sunday and didn't on Monday - but that's another thing to sort.

What recommendations do people have for a fully featured real time enthusiast reader?

Thanks again for all the pointers and feedback.

map

Post #549260 Tue Feb 20 2018 11:07am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

IID BT from Gap Diagnostics. The best there is. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #549261 Tue Feb 20 2018 11:11am
PC76

United Kingdom 

I have seen the IID tool read the injector ballencing for the 2.7 engine, this can show worn injectors.. I have had GAP confirm that this isn’t available for the 3.0l variant.

Post #549275 Tue Feb 20 2018 12:40pm
map_rrs

Appreciate the feedback -

@PC76 point noted about IID with 2.7D v 3.0D functionality - thanks.

@Paddi - your comments back up what I've seen elsewhere Thumbs Up

Have now ordered a IID BT from Bell Auto Services and it should arrive tomorrow.

If a course of injector cleaning is actually improving things I will know - if it isn't then I'll have to decide when and how I'll go about sorting replacement injectors. If I need to spend the money I will but I ain't keen on unnecessary and costly Parts Darts. The car is in pretty good shape otherwise and I'm working my way through its wrinkles.

In the short time we've had it we've both developed a real like for it. The two dogs prefer it to the Evoque too - just loads more room for them and as they weigh in at 60+kg the pair that's important.

So much so I am working up some phD level man maths around adding a RRS SC to the house fleet..... Whistle

Post #549279 Tue Feb 20 2018 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>