RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MY18 RRS - SDV6 or SDV8 + Other Qs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi DangerMouse. Yes you are missing something! The V8 is superb and I wouldn't go back to the V6. Even though it was 6k dearer when I took the plunge.

So, I had a SDV6 for 4 years. Admittedly it was a 292bhp, as I had one of the very first. It was fine, good even; and I got 38mpg.

In Sep-17 I upgraded to a SDV8 AB. I'd already borrowed a V8 for a weekend and knew it was good; but I didn't realise how good. From the word go it has sounded much more interesting (muted growl), been much more responsive, with better in-gear acceleration, and it just pulls and pulls and pulls. Now it has 6,000 miles on the clock it really is loosening up, and absolutely flys.

In the V6, for an overtake, I used to manually knock it down 2 gears and then change up once it was building a head of steam. In the V8, you just don't need to work it manually - the kick-down is instant and so smooth and it whips through the gears beautifully with no drama whatsoever - sounding lovely Wink

Search this forum. There is another member who has a SDV8 and his wife has a SDV6 - they both think the V8 is a distinct notch above. Some compare vehicle weights, saying the V8 is heavy; but I think that is because the V6 is quoted as a basic spec model with the V8 quoted as a loaded, all the toys as standard AB.

Renaco (hybrid owner) will be along in a minute to tell you it is nose heavy. For me it is a revelation - my V6 was a HSE with no dynamic pack. Now I have all the electronic aids and the car is transformed; the torque vectoring is seriously impressive and if it is nose heavy then I can't tell that it is - open the throttle in a corner and the line tightens.

I've averaged 32mpg since new.

I have only one complaint - no V8 badge, so it is indistinguishable from a V6 (apart from the V8 rumble). But at least I feel smug knowing I have the 4.4.

For context, I drove an SVR and a BMW X5M before taking the plunge. Both fabulous, but license losers and as an everyday proposition I think the 4.4 SDV8 takes some beating. Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)
On order: RRS3 510e AB
Gone: RRS SDV8 AB, RRS SDV6, Vauxhall Nova 1.0, Nova 1.3 SR, Nova 1.4 SRi, Renault Laguna (why?), BMW 318is coupe (fabulous - despite having to buy a radio and tape player for it from Halfords), 323i saloon, 325ti compact (superb), 320td compact (awful), VW Golf 2.0d 4Motion (all the car you really need), BMW 120d compact (excellent), 118d compact (slow), 335d coupe (rapid)

Last edited by Cooperman on Tue Feb 06 2018 9:10pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #547758 Mon Feb 05 2018 5:14pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Very interesting , thanks cooperman . Thumbs Up

Post #547765 Mon Feb 05 2018 5:40pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Cooperman,
i would be wary of admitting to doing 85 mph far less over 100mph on public roads on a public forum.
Tim

Post #547783 Mon Feb 05 2018 8:12pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Interesting thanks for that !

Having a bit of a ball-ache getting insurers to give sensible quotes for the SDV8 in Central London.

The SDV6 due to the value is an easier proposition but both are not cars insurers seem to want to insure.

Will continue looking.

Post #547788 Mon Feb 05 2018 8:18pm
Slimtrim

United Kingdom 

Try direct line, they were far the cheapest when it came to insuring my s/c v8 @ just shy of £1k for a 34 year old living in the capital.

Post #547794 Mon Feb 05 2018 8:58pm
DangerMouseUK

They were silly - 3k-ish.

Aviva were a lot less than that. NFU Mutual don't service my area apparently?

Will keep looking. Will speak to A-Plan tomorrow.

Post #547797 Mon Feb 05 2018 9:15pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Ad blue on all RR, RRS, Disco MY16 models where they needed to make engines EU6 compliant from Sept 15.

SDV6 lighter, cheaper, lower tax and nearly same power and pretty much same torque as SDV8, what’s not to like!

Post #547817 Mon Feb 05 2018 11:40pm
IRBails

Australia 

My SDV8 is 2016 model and no add blue. Perhaps not needed for the Ozzie market, in any case I am well pleased I do not have.

To me the fuel economy is negligible between the V8 and V6 the driving experience though is noticeable IMO. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #547820 Tue Feb 06 2018 4:48am
Slimtrim

United Kingdom 

DangerMouseUK wrote:

Try run a quote stating the car has a tracker. Having one really helped as it drastically reduced my premium and if your intended purchase hasn’t already got a tracker, get the dealer to add cat 5/6 as part of the deal.

Insurance companies only require proof of installation and don’t have access to your daily driving habit - which is fantastic.

Also it’s transferable come upgrading/selling up.

Post #547837 Tue Feb 06 2018 8:54am
mlines

United Kingdom 

Running a MY2016 SDV8, my friend has an identical but 1 year old SDV6.

Leaving aside the book figures, the SDV8 is a different car. The smooth and continuous urge under acceleration is fantastic. Whilst not in petrol V8 territory there is a real sense of power. The SDV6 sounds more like a diesel and whilst nice and quick in its own right, is not the same.

Mind you, his SDV6 is for sale .......http://www.knowlhill.com/component/rdautos...obiography 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #547867 Tue Feb 06 2018 1:34pm
DangerMouseUK

Slimtrim wrote:
DangerMouseUK wrote:

Try run a quote stating the car has a tracker. Having one really helped as it drastically reduced my premium and if your intended purchase hasn’t already got a tracker, get the dealer to add cat 5/6 as part of the deal.

Insurance companies only require proof of installation and don’t have access to your daily driving habit - which is fantastic.

Also it’s transferable come upgrading/selling up.

Aviva have come to their senses a bit and given the fairest quote so far but its still not below £900, either way its the best by a long margin. The car has Cat 6 built in apparently a necessity from 50k-100k value vehicles in London and over 100k it has to be Cat 5 apparently!

List Price Vs GMFV (48months + 10k miles per annum);
SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - £82,945.00 -> £44,991.00
SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic - £89,950.00 -> £45,924.00

So there's a rough £6000 loss if you just go by the LR Finance figures but I looked on LR Used;

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/details/2837186
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/details/2830465
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/details/2838096
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/details/2835244

And there's loads of 17 plated cars with under 10k miles on the clock going for sub £70,000 prices - probably a bit more if you have a haggle - that's a massive depreciation from new compared to the SDV6 cars (which only drop a few thousand).

I'm guessing all the 17 plate cars had somewhere between 10-13% discount on them which lessens the blow a bit but still.

I do love the SDV8 and have had the engine in two L405s that I've owned where it seems to maintain its value a bit better than in the RRS variant - it also does seem like the better fit for me personally in the RRS, just need to figure out why such a massive drop on that engine and not the SDV6 (otherwise I'd have chalked it up to the facelift).

Thanks
DM

Post #547987 Wed Feb 07 2018 7:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Don’t forget the prices on the approved used list are what the dealer is asking for the cars, not what he might have paid the previous owner to take it off his hands.......... so depreciation will be even steeper by the time you remove the dealership mark up.. say £3000-£5000 mark up.....
What I can’t get my head around is that the Mini dealer who is taking my RRS as a part exchange has a JLR franchise in their group and the Mini franchise are offering me £3500 more for my car than the LR dealership.......... who will doubtless get the car to put on their forecourt as an approved used 3 year old car! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #547989 Wed Feb 07 2018 7:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DangerMouseUK

I didn't factor that in when I looked at those prices !

Also that is ridiculous regarding the Mini !!!

Post #547990 Wed Feb 07 2018 8:33pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Don’t forget the prices on the approved used list are what the dealer is asking for the cars, not what he might have paid the previous owner to take it off his hands.......... so depreciation will be even steeper by the time you remove the dealership mark up.. say £3000-£5000 mark up.....
What I can’t get my head around is that the Mini dealer who is taking my RRS as a part exchange has a JLR franchise in their group and the Mini franchise are offering me £3500 more for my car than the LR dealership.......... who will doubtless get the car to put on their forecourt as an approved used 3 year old car!

There're offering more because they have got it in the discount they can give. Rather than giving it all on the car they are adding some to the p/x to make you feel good. As we are all told it's the price to change that matters.
Tim

Post #548008 Thu Feb 08 2018 12:05am
mikef

United Kingdom 

My previous RRS was a 2014 SDV6 and my current RRS is a SDV8 and I'm certainly glad I've now got the SDV8. The performance of the SDV6 is not bad but the power band is narrow and it suffers from significant throttle response delay at low rpm which can be embarrassing when you're trying to filter onto a roundabout. The SDV8 also suffers from the same kind of throttle response delay but its much less pronounced and the mid range oomph is significantly better. When overtaking in the SDV6 I always used to shift into Sport for maximum performance but in the SDV8 I rarely bother because it always feels like it has a bit of speed to spare. The only slight downside is that with the heavier engine, the SDV8 doesnt turn into corners as well as the SDV6 but IMHO its a small price to pay for the extra driving pleasure. As for economy I averaged about 34mpg over the 3yrs of owning my SDV6. I'm getting about 29mpg from my SDV8 but I would expect that to improve by 1-2mpg as the engine beds in

Post #548311 Sun Feb 11 2018 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>