Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MY18 RRS - SDV6 or SDV8 + Other Qs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
MY18 RRS - SDV6 or SDV8 + Other Qs

Hi Guys,

As per title, looking at getting a diesel RRS as the SVR/V8/V6 petrol options don't really appeal to me either as a package (SVR) or financially (normal VCool) or engine character wise (V6).

So in a full size it would be a simple choice of SDV8 but here I don't actually see the point of the larger diesel engine at all - am I missing anything?

Also I noticed and someone else has commented that they seem to have stopped doing the larger brakes on the SDV6 - any reason why?

Thanks
DM

Post #547442 Sat Feb 03 2018 12:00am
DangerMouseUK

Click image to enlarge

Thats all the spec guide gives away on brakes !

Seen another thread a page or so in detailing the brakes are indeed smaller on the MY18 SDV6 with no upgrade option - is that confirmed as the case across all SDV6 trims?

Thanks!

Post #547445 Sat Feb 03 2018 12:41am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

the SDV6 engine is prone to breaking its crank.

other than that, it's more economical than the SDV8, but the latter has a lot more oopmh and it pretty bulletproof Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #547450 Sat Feb 03 2018 6:28am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you may need to look up the meaning of “prone”

Post #547451 Sat Feb 03 2018 6:40am
Canary

England 

If the petrol variants don't appeal then I'm sure neither would the diesel v8 as the economy of that engine is pretty poor compared to the sdv6. MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #547467 Sat Feb 03 2018 9:12am
DangerMouseUK

The SVR doesn't appeal as its too loud to be used in a relaxing way (for me personally - I'm sure its a great car).

The normal 5 litre sport is apparently financial suicide to buy new.

The 3 litre petrol engine doesn't suit the car at all IMO - which leaves the diesel options.

So its not specifically about economy per se just making sensible(ish) choices.

So the brakes being as they are on the new SDV6 is how it is? No plans for upgrade options like on the MY17?

Thanks
DM

Post #547511 Sat Feb 03 2018 2:44pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Dangermouse are you bored of your FE Velar already!?!?

Post #547513 Sat Feb 03 2018 2:56pm
DangerMouseUK

Hey bro Smile

No love the Velar it’s amazing. Circumstances have dictated that I need a much more off-road capable car though hence the change to Sport.

Velar is one of the best LR cars I’ve had in recent years though !!

I’m actually sad to be changing to be honest but such is life.

Post #547515 Sat Feb 03 2018 3:14pm
bennyboy

Australia 

Hi DM, I'm fortunate enough to own both the SDV6 and the SDV8. Although on paper there isn't much between the engines in performance or fuel efficiency, in the real world I personally find there is a significant difference, to the point I actively avoid driving the V6. Aurally the SDV8 has a pleasant rumble (I removed the rear mufflers which enhances that somewhat Whistle ).

In terms of driving they are very different. I find the SDV6 is a typical diesel, in that there is a lot of toque down low, but when you increase the revs it quickly runs out of puff. The SDV8 on the other hand is more like an older petrol turbo engine (strange as that sounds). The initial urge is still there and greater than the 6 (with less of the 'oh Censored ' lag of the SDV6) but once it hits around 3k RPM it kicks into another level like a petrol turbo. The fuel tank on the 8 is also larger than the 6 which results in more range (and similar MPG).

I've driven the SCV8 and love it (esp the sound) however for me the drivability of the SDV8 at sub 60MPH (majority of my driving) plus the increased range of the diesel are the best combo for me currently.

Good luck with the choice either way as they are great cars IMHO

Post #547516 Sat Feb 03 2018 3:15pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

DangerMouseUK wrote:

No love the Velar it’s amazing. Circumstances have dictated that I need a much more off-road capable car though hence the change to Sport.

What sort of off road driving will you be doing? The Velar is pretty accomplished off road considering it doesn't have low range. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #547539 Sat Feb 03 2018 5:25pm
DangerMouseUK

Nothing that serious just going to be in a much more mountainous country a lot more with much more variable weather and snow and would be happier with a Sport and some winter wheels Smile

The Sport is also a lot more forgiving on things like snow chains on bigger alloys Smile

Also for long pan Europe drives the Sport will be a slightly more comfortable place to journey.

Post #547543 Sat Feb 03 2018 5:52pm
DangerMouseUK

bennyboy wrote:
Hi DM, I'm fortunate enough to own both the SDV6 and the SDV8. Although on paper there isn't much between the engines in performance or fuel efficiency, in the real world I personally find there is a significant difference, to the point I actively avoid driving the V6. Aurally the SDV8 has a pleasant rumble (I removed the rear mufflers which enhances that somewhat Whistle ).

In terms of driving they are very different. I find the SDV6 is a typical diesel, in that there is a lot of toque down low, but when you increase the revs it quickly runs out of puff. The SDV8 on the other hand is more like an older petrol turbo engine (strange as that sounds). The initial urge is still there and greater than the 6 (with less of the 'oh Censored ' lag of the SDV6) but once it hits around 3k RPM it kicks into another level like a petrol turbo. The fuel tank on the 8 is also larger than the 6 which results in more range (and similar MPG).

I've driven the SCV8 and love it (esp the sound) however for me the drivability of the SDV8 at sub 60MPH (majority of my driving) plus the increased range of the diesel are the best combo for me currently.

Good luck with the choice either way as they are great cars IMHO

Will see what the monthly cost difference is between the two and go from there Smile

I’ve got the D300 Velar which I’m guessing is the same SDV6 engine give or take and have had SDV8s in full size Range Rovers and the odd loan Range Rover Sport - it felt a bit rumbly to me but maybe I’m remembering it wrong.

Thanks !

Post #547545 Sat Feb 03 2018 5:56pm
IRBails

Australia 

I'm another SDV8 owner and also drove extensively before purchase. At most fuel economy seems similar or better, I hired a SDV 6 in iceland recently and it returned worse fuel than my V8. No crank issues, no Add Blue, in my model, and more performance. Also all the extra goodies that come with the V8. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #547579 Sun Feb 04 2018 12:47am
DangerMouseUK

I think the SDV8 has adblue in the UK market ?

I'm wondering what the in gear times are for the SDV6 vs SDV8 as the 0-60 times are very similar.

The residual value of the SDV8 is slightly lower than the SDV6 whilst costing £7000 more on purchase !

Thanks
DM

Post #547676 Sun Feb 04 2018 8:11pm
IRBails

Australia 

I have not looked at residuals but think a lot would buy second hand based on Fuel economy, mind you a broken crank would cost more than the fuel savings. Add blue not on my 2016 which I love. In Australia the V8 gets a lot of goodies as standard. All the locking diff's and dynamic torque vectoring comes standard as well as the big brakes etc. I've never gone through the gear by gear accel or even looked for it but seat of the pants tells me the V8 is better all over and if you are to tow will be much better. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #547680 Sun Feb 04 2018 8:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>