Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Turbo Flutter / Surge - Is this normal vid attached SDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Turbo Flutter / Surge - Is this normal vid attached SDV6

Hi Guys,

My stock 2012 RRS SDV6 (old shape) has started making a turbo flutter noise when the throttle is released after putting the engine under load. happens in certain conditions underload or if I hold the break give it some revs and let off while in drive.

I've inserted a youtube vid here of the exact same noise I found on youtube

Steeler is telling me this is normal, a normal intake sound. What are your thoughts. I was wondering if anyone has the same noise and it is infact normal. Is this normal? or a turbo failure in the making / misbehaving BOV or other valve. Any advise would be much appreciated

thanks

Post #547446 Sat Feb 03 2018 1:05am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mine does it so does my brothers SDV6 Disco 4. I would say it’s normal and to do with the change over of the turbos. Even more noticeable in low range under heavy load when off-road 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #547469 Sat Feb 03 2018 9:19am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Never heard this on mine ! Will try driving it with the stereo off today and see if I get the same noises from the turbo. Do SDV6 engines not have a recirculating valve ? as you shouldn't get turbo stall if they have and the back pressure is not good for the turbo. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #547495 Sat Feb 03 2018 11:05am
RRS2012

Thanks chaps. Off to th steelers shortly have asked them to demonstrate the noise in another one for my price of mind.

It’ll not do it under normal driving by the way. I noticed it as my drive it steep and I reverse up it and this happenes.

If you park, put it in drive, hold th brake on hard and rev them let off like in the vid, then does it do it.

From what smart said it’s proprably normal but Jesus was I panicing, only had it 6 weeks and a mate of mine with the tdv6 on an 11 plate had said mine lags and doesn’t feel as quick so have had the steelers looking for issues, mainly turbo diagnostics. Other than this noise it’s running well tbh and the steeler is saying no fault codes.

Post #547504 Sat Feb 03 2018 11:58am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Lag is quite common. Sometimes goes after software updates or get a remap from Alive Tuning Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #547506 Sat Feb 03 2018 12:34pm
RRS2012

The vey accomdationdating steeler demonstrated this on another one (newer 15 plate) so is normal as suggested above now confirmed. I guess the lag is normal, an air leak, or a software issue. They’ve got it until next week for a couple of other promises the sales guy made but weren’t completed so will just make sure the software it’s up to date etc.

Would love to map it, mapped many Audi’s and BMW’s over the year, no issues and always transformed the car. Last LR I mapped (for better towing performes) the turbo went 6 days later and took the engine with it, total nightmare. It was low mileage, looked after etc I knew it’s history and it all went wrong after the map. Could have been coincidence but once burned twice shy.

Thanks for the comments!

Post #547509 Sat Feb 03 2018 1:50pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Have been listening out for this today and never heard it once !
Mine went to the main dealer 2 weeks ago for a MOT and they did a health check and gave the car a clean bill of healt.

When leaving the dealer the car felt much more responsive and seemed to have much more power and the lag pulling away from a standstill had gone plus gear change was smoother and always seems to be in the perfect gear so I'm guessing they had done a software update on the car.
Whatever they had done had got rid of any slight issues that I had come to accept must be just the way the SDV6 must be as they had it back 12 months ago and said they had done software updates but car came back the same.

Now drives fantastic and can't fault it. Dealer never mentioned doing anything when in for MOT. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #547555 Sat Feb 03 2018 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1