Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Moving from an x5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Treeman

United Kingdom 
Moving from an x5

Hi
This is my first post but hopefully not my last. I currently own a bmw x5 e53 2005 model but I am looking at changing to a range rover sport about a 10 plate. Is it possible that you good people would be able to offer advice for me buying my new vehicle.
My current bmw is a good vehicle and very reliable but the range rover is a classier machine inside and off road. There are horror stories I've been told about the sport being a bad vehicle for faults (owned a vogue years ago , perfect) in you honest options how bad are the faults any that seem to effect most vehicles .?
My budget is around 14k and I was looking at the 3.0d
I have look3d at some of the posts on this forum about faults and it did worry me a bit but I am still thrown towards the sport.
If anyone is kind enough to offer any advice it would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Post #547298 Thu Feb 01 2018 6:52pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Do your research and ask lots of questions there are a few issues that seem to be occurring with the diesel cranks but not masses make sure everything works and it has a full service history to start Thumbs Up

Post #547299 Thu Feb 01 2018 7:18pm
Treeman

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply. I'm worried about buying something that's going to break a lot but I really fancy the car. I'll see what I can find out what to look for.
Cherrs

Post #547310 Thu Feb 01 2018 8:50pm
qcnr

Norway 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Aren't we all.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #547333 Fri Feb 02 2018 6:38am
Slim444

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome Treeman,

I went from an E53 X5 (2003 with the 5-speed box) to my RRS too, the biggest difference was that the RRS murders fuel compared to the X5! I got 32mpg from the X5 all day, but the RRS is returning more like 27mpg- measured, not from the lying on board computer! Of course it depends on the mileage you are doing, but running costs are high! I haven't been able to get even close to the quoted 30.2mpg, except for perhaps on long runs and driving like Miss Daisy Wink I wouldn't buy one again to be honest purely on this basis. It IS a really nice car though!!

As others have/will say, do your research, a full service history is a must, and if you buy from a dealer, then get a warranty too. Mine came with a Marshall full warranty, which I've renewed twice since- well worth the piece of mind IMHO. Just over 2 years on, and still had to use it in anger yet. Mind you, I've only done about 15k miles in that time.
Stay away from stupid aftermarket 21" or 22" wheels too, these are very easy to bend and kerb, as well as putting extra stress on the suspension components and making for a "crashy" and more "fidgety" ride. They may look cool from the outside, but every other aspect about them is a negative.
The RRS is a good 200kg heavier than the X5, and you can feel it, but the suspension still feels quite taught. It handles quite well for a heavy car, even with the 19" wheels I have on mine (dropped down from the OEM 20" it came with).

Apart from the fuel burn, my only other real niggle about the RRS is you have to move the front seats forward when dropping the rears to use the extra load space. I'm just under 6' 2" tall, and have the drivers seat all the way back for, so can't drop the rear seat behind it.
Oh, and your road tax will almost double if your X5 is in the £270 tax band as mine was? £500 a year hurts!!

Anyway, just my opinions and experience, take 'em as you see fit...

Let us know how you get on! You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'

Post #547355 Fri Feb 02 2018 11:11am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The RRS is a lovely car, but you would be better off with your existing car for reliability

Post #547361 Fri Feb 02 2018 11:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1