Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Central locking constantly locking/unlocking when driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Kaywood

United Kingdom 
Central locking constantly locking/unlocking when driving

hi guys

anyone come accross central locking issues, when driving it the central locking is contantly unlocking/locking, sounds like its on all 4 doors.

i had an issue with the alarm going off when first purchased along side this issue. it went into LR and they replaced a bonnet catch, which solved the alarm. and i believe they have also replaced a C/L actuator, and also noticed some wiring which needed attention on a central locking motor (reterminating and sheathing)

The fault went away for a bit, but came back after 2 weeks, though it doesnt happen quite as often now, it may be a couple of days or a week until it does it, but when it does do it again, it is constant for the duration of that drive.

it has been into LR 5 times for this now and they say they cannot find a fault, they tell me they have pretty much stripped the car down and inspected all C/L parts and wiring.

its driving us mad now, as its pointless on keeping sending it back into LR as they have already had it approx 4 weeks in total, and they cant seem to find or fix the issue. looking like a task i need to diagnose and repair myself.

any pointers would be grately appreicated

Thanks

Dave

Post #547281 Thu Feb 01 2018 4:32pm
Kaywood

United Kingdom 

PS this is a Facelift 2010 RRS HSE v6 Thumbs Up

Post #547282 Thu Feb 01 2018 4:33pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had an old Peugeot estate which had the same problem and it was a mouse in the car that had chewed wires (they like the insulation as it has fat in it). That was also intermittent and random and would also work normally as well which never helps to diagnose. Good luck
Thumbs Up Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #547296 Thu Feb 01 2018 6:43pm
syl

United Kingdom 

If it happens for the duration can you arrange to take it in when it happens and leave the car running when you get there? RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #547329 Fri Feb 02 2018 12:40am
Kaywood

United Kingdom 

Hi guys

thanks for the replies.

urgh, last thing I need is a dodgy wire somewhere hidden Godders. was hoping it would be a common issue and just a failed solenoid or CL motor or something.... looks like I best get removing door cards and inspecting the wires to start!

its going to be difficult to arrange to take it back in when it does it SYL, due to work commitments (and trying to get a slot at LR for someone to inspect!)

to top that off, I have spoke with the garage where I purchased it from (whom have been organising the repairs direct with LR for me) and they can no longer have it inspected/repaired at LR under the warranty I have with them. so the garage where I purchased from need to take ownership of this issue and repair in house.

which I think will now just become even more drawn out.

I need to try and get to the bottom of this myself I think.

Post #547731 Mon Feb 05 2018 12:47pm
GodivaNige

England 

If all the doors are locking/unlocking together, intermittently, start by investigating items that are designed to do this. i.e. check the wiring to the global lock and unlock switch (on the drivers door on a facelift?) Will likely mean removing the drivers door card and checking for good wiring, no water ingress etc near to the switches. Also investigate where the cables run through the rubber conduit where the door is hinged.

A wiring diagram will help a lot, unfortunately can't help with this as I only have diagrams for pre facelift.

Also worth going for a drive with your second key, to rule out a faulty fob, plus checking the wiring & operation etc of the lock button on the exterior door handle (if your car has this?)

Something is sending a lock/unlock signal to the body control ECU, likely going to be tricky to find but starting with the obvious things first is the way to go.

Post #547738 Mon Feb 05 2018 2:05pm
bellcrank

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Kaywood, did you ever solve your central locking issue? I have had the exact same intermittent problem for over a month now in my 2011 HSE. So far I have replaced drivers door latch and had Land Rover diagnosis which didn't turn up anything. It's driving me mad, just off to my shrink for some therapy....

Post #585869 Mon Aug 26 2019 1:01pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Any other problems to go with it? Wet passenger front carpet? Radio playing up? Indicators a bit random at times?

It’s possibly a CAN bus issue but I’d expect some other symptoms. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #585944 Wed Aug 28 2019 5:05am
bellcrank

No other problems at all Brit Plumber. The only thing that has happened during all this is that the rear passenger door lock stopped working which I've replaced and I think is coincidental.

The intermittent (but frequent) locking and unlocking normally occurs after driving for around half an hour (less in very hot weather) which leads me to think it is related to temperature and possibly in the engine bay. It is definitely not associated with vibration The default position is always unlocked (I have disabled the autolock feature on the menu)

Post #585998 Thu Aug 29 2019 11:14am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

So it doesn’t do it with the auto lock option off in the menu in the cluster? Sounds like a CAN bus fault. The auto lock feature happens at something like 5mph so it’s the trigger signal but that could be something to do with the new actuator you fitted. Was it the same part number and has it only happened since fitting the new part? 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #586000 Thu Aug 29 2019 12:04pm
bellcrank

It does it with auto lock on or off. I had the new drivers door latch fitted as a potential solution suggested by a friend who is a Land Rover technician. That didn't work. The rear passenger latch was replaced last week as it refused to unlock but this I believe is just coincidence.

Technician has mentioned canbus and I am waiting for him to get back to me with a plan of action. Unfortunately the fault is impossible to reproduce unless the car has been driven for sometime, but when it starts it will continue until the journey is complete, sometimes the cycle is several times per second...quiet scary! There are no other visible or audible symptons.

Post #586013 Thu Aug 29 2019 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1