RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Offroad tracks Royal style
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Offroad tracks Royal style

I am out of the UK at the moment but a friend sent me a clipping from a magazine about HRH The Queen and her love of Land Rovers , in the generic term- as in pre Defender Land Rovers (she also rather likes Classic Range Rovers) - and is keen to help LR celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Land Rover this year. The item mentions near the end that HRH will be opening the Balmoral estates tracks to the Land Rover owing community to drive (no other SUV/4x4 brands are permitted apparrantly) during the summer and you can take her up on the offer (but the clipping doesn’t say how) and take a 3 hour guided drive in your own Land Rover for the sum of £125. I passed the clipping on to the Green Laning events organiser of the SGRC who is looking into getting a club day out, but I suspect the distance from the Central Blelt of Scotland and the £125 entry fee will put a lot off, which is a pity for what promises to be a pretty good 3 hours out and you never know who your guide might be.............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #546845 Fri Jan 26 2018 6:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ianmo

United Kingdom 

Is this the one Tim? Price drop £120 Thumbs Up

https://www.balmoralcastle.com/trek.htm

Post #546858 Fri Jan 26 2018 9:48pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Would love to but it's just to far away.

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #546866 Sat Jan 27 2018 7:46am
ianmo

United Kingdom 

I've booked for 29th April, we are going to make a long weekend of it. : Smile

So much for the price drop;

Options 1 x Guide Book £5.95 (1 x £5.95)
Booking Fee £4.72
Total Price £130.67

Post #546874 Sat Jan 27 2018 9:59am
Tim in Scotland

Unfortunately my Satellite link for. Web browsing is very slow today so I have to assume that the link Ian sent is the right one.
Edit - have managed to download the web page and that is the link, disappointed that there are only 2 drives out in the year so far - April and July. There are also the luxury safaris - 3hours in their Land Rover for between 2 and up to 6 people at £60 which might interest some but again not many trips in the year.

I would say that if you are up that neck of the woods it would be a well worth making a diversion and the cost will be well worth it to drive somewhere very very few people have access to! Enjoy you trip Ian, I hope to be home by then and might book the same day if I can get my Def90 MoT’d In time to make the trip, I may not still have the Sport then............ but if I do it will be a great way of saying goodbye to it with a final offroad day! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #546878 Sat Jan 27 2018 10:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HughN

Wales 
Re: Offroad tracks Royal style

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I am out of the UK at the moment but a friend sent me a clipping from a magazine about HRH The Queen and her love of Land Rovers , in the generic term- as in pre Defender Land Rovers (she also rather likes Classic Range Rovers)

I was once told that HMTQM got LR to modify her LR to install a rear wiper on the inside of the glass - her dogs kept steaming it up and leaving nose-prints/snot.

Post #546906 Sat Jan 27 2018 3:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Hugh, that must have been in the days of Series Land Rovers, even the early Defenders at least had the option of a heated rear screen before it became a standard fitting! Mind you my 90’s rear side windows steam up very quickly and my “luxury” County model’s pop-up Glass sunroof does a good inpression of Niagara Falls on a cold morning with condensation on the inside of the glass....... Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #546934 Sat Jan 27 2018 7:31pm
HughN

Wales 

I thought the heated screen was to keep your hands warm when pushing it?

Just nabbed one of the last tickets. Only about 1,200 miles round-trip but should be interesting.

Post #546935 Sat Jan 27 2018 7:34pm
Tim in Scotland

These days when I drive from Central Scotland to Southampton/ Hampshire, even in the summer, I make an overnight stop at the Lancaster Premier Inn - OK so not the most costly/ luxury hotels available but that one is less than a mile from the M6 (if using RRS Satnav the junction has changed but it wasn't updated in my system so I missed it and had to drive to the next one north, and come back south!) the HarvesterRestaurant isn't fantastic but sufficient and there is a Shell garage about 750 yards
further into Lancaster for fuelling at non-motorway prices. There is also a Holiday Inn Express across the road from the Premier Inn too but I have never stayed there, The Cottam Fileds Premier Inn is of of course in the middle of an industrial estate like meny but it is spotlessly clean and quiet. I stay there 6-8 times a year and if you book early enough you can get it on Premier Inns £29 a night deal often. Also if you are passing Stirling and fancy a mini meet I am only 20 minutes drive from J9 and J8 of the M9 Stirling and Bannockburn turn-offs. Another Adequate hotel is the King Robert hotel on the Battle of Bannockburn battlefield - again about 1 mile off the motorway on the outskirts of Stirling 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #546951 Sun Jan 28 2018 8:39am
HughN

Wales 

Cheers Tim,

I've booked in at a hotel nearby and break the journey at a friend's house if needs-be. Probably stop en-route to bore my children with "something interesting (to me)"

Working away from home quite a bit, I'm all too familiar with Travel Lodge / Premier Inns. Last year I decided I'd same money by lodging, but ended up with a psycho landlady. That's another story, but never again!

Need to find one day third-party off-road cover now..

Post #546963 Sun Jan 28 2018 9:35am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Booked for April am, shame it's not within the school half term, looking forward to it. Need to get off road cover.

Post #547029 Mon Jan 29 2018 9:43am
HughN

Wales 

Let me know if you find any insurance - I'll do the same. Smile

It'd be just my luck to run over a Royal swan / stag and sent to The Tower.

Post #547153 Tue Jan 30 2018 7:29pm
Tim in Scotland

Worse, you could run over a guard corgi..... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #547164 Tue Jan 30 2018 8:31pm
HughN

Wales 

HughN wrote:
Let me know if you find any insurance - I'll do the same. Smile

It'd be just my luck to run over a Royal swan / stag and sent to The Tower.

I've cancelled and got a refund, so there is another ticket back in the pot.

Couldn't find any third-party off-road only insurance - it seems to only come as part of a whole year's insurance and the higher premium plus admin fees made it expensive. I'd näively assumed it'd be simple.

That's me off the New Years Honours List.

Post #547548 Sat Feb 03 2018 6:11pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Just wondering if anyone got recommendation for off road insurance for event like this?

Post #552932 Mon Apr 02 2018 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>