RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Changes to MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Brutus

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Java Black
Changes to MOT

Apologies if this has been posted before. I did a search and couldn't find anything...........

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So. ..

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1. 50. That could change to as low as 0. 30 with the new rules.

Post #546736 Thu Jan 25 2018 4:18pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I'm really looking forward to these changes,,especially the engine management light,,,,(well it passed last year).I'm not sure how we can test for contaminated brake fluid.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #546738 Thu Jan 25 2018 4:32pm
Brutus

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Java Black

Is it realistic to think that testers will check for the removal of EGR's?

Post #546795 Fri Jan 26 2018 8:43am
qcnr

Norway 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Don't see how that can be done on the Tdv6, unless the engine cover is removed.
But even then it isn't easy to find them when they are fitted... Laughing
Sounds like the fail sytem is like here.
1 noted, but will pass (advisory)
2 fail but can be driven away to be rectified. re-test
3 fail, must be fixed before driving off. re-test

Post #546798 Fri Jan 26 2018 9:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

And then the next thing to happen is that the cost of an MOT will double or triple.......... due to the time required to find all these hidden components and carry out sample analysis of brake fluid...... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #546812 Fri Jan 26 2018 11:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

There are a few thing in the existing MOT, that say check where visable without removing covers.

So hopefully that will apply / common sense

Post #546813 Fri Jan 26 2018 11:46am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

It's the bit about any visible diesel smoke will fail that I don't get. Living in London I would say 50% of diesels emit visible smoke, especially taxis.
I can't see how this is going to work! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #546817 Fri Jan 26 2018 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1