RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Did I make the right decision?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bentleyboy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red
Did I make the right decision?

Hello newby here.

I've just taken delivery of my new SD4 HSE, my2017 run off. Plenty of goodies added:
Head-up display
Black roof
Panoramic Sunroof
Privacy glass
Surround cameras
Full size spare wheel
Large washer bottle
Heated steering wheel
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps
Auto-dimming exterior mirrors

Order placed just before New Year's Eve, a late Christmas present. It was exactly what I wanted, taking me back to LR ownership from my Audi A7, which by the way has been faultless for 5 years taking to 100k miles and now in my wife's capable hands.

So why the question- did I make the right decision? Well, after placing the order I went looking for an enthusiasts forum to read more and landed here. I was expecting to read lots of positive comments, details of meets etc etc. Well, I started to get concerned when I read the negativity and concerns on the L494 pages- broken engines, poor service, wobbly screens, late deliveries because of colours............ All very valid and what you may expect to see on a forum, but where was the balance. Many of those contributing were serial LR owners, what was happening?? I really started to question what I'd done. Now, it's no AB or SVR but even at entry level it's the most I've spent on a car and something I've wanted for some time. Eventually Mrs D gave the green light. It was a return to LR after a 300 TDI disco in the 90s, a Td5 in 2000 and an 18 month old FFRR in 2008.

Having got behind the wheel today, I was right. Exactly the right purchase, never mind the "pretenders" I looked at Q7, XC90. This was the one.

I understand everyone's frustrations with the problems they experience but do we enjoy being LR owners or should we sell now and walk away. I know my answer. What about you?

Post #546358 Sat Jan 20 2018 6:59pm
Cantona

United Kingdom 

Certainly seems to be problems if you read all the threads on here! but I’ve had four over the years (Evoque, Freelander, ABSportV6 and an SVR) and never encounted a single issue. IMO it’s still the best 4x4 out there and is certainly the best looking.
So for me, you made the right call Cool

Post #546364 Sat Jan 20 2018 7:18pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

People only tend to post about the problems/issues they have and rarely post about good stuff. It`s the same on most forums Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #546366 Sat Jan 20 2018 7:37pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I think by the nature any forum environment it is always dominated by people searching on what fault they have and the experiences of others who've had and subsequently fixed it, which is part of the experience Thumbs Up

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #546370 Sat Jan 20 2018 7:46pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Very very few SD4 RRS2 on this forum so it would be interesting to have a write up about your experiences. The Disco5 forum has a few D5 SD4’s and they seem to be happy with them.
I’ve run 3 RRS’s now and have only ever had small niggles with any of them until now when my SDv6 is getting up 21,000 miles and 3 years old and has one huge worry with the engine design that is the reason I am leaving the brand............ after 22years and 11 Land Rover’s. I have only had one less than reliable LR in that time - a 2014MY Evoque 2.2SD4 - and only one other that ever needed recovery to a dealership - a TD5 Disco2 that parted it’s auxiliary drive belt on the way to the dealer to part ex it for a new car! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sat Jan 20 2018 8:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #546379 Sat Jan 20 2018 8:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
timhum

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately I believe that the L494 part of this forum is one of the most negative i've encountered albeit with only a limited number of contributors who seem to revel in knocking the product whilst continuing to buy it.
Tim

Post #546381 Sat Jan 20 2018 8:23pm
BKHK

Australia 

I am on RRS number 4. 1st one 10 years ago had a repetitive issue, I moved it on, was assisted into another one (2009). All excellent since. In between I have had MB, X5, X6 M3. I came back.

Enjoy your new car, I am sure it will be great.

Post #546392 Sun Jan 21 2018 12:05am
syl

United Kingdom 

I’m on my first, a runout MY17 as well, and I am absolutely delighted with it after six weeks and 1,000 miles. The only problem so far has been a broken sill light (since delivery) which was replaced last week.

My wife remains pleased as punch with her 12 month old Evoque too. No criticisms for the dealer either. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #546404 Sun Jan 21 2018 10:19am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

timhum wrote:
Unfortunately I believe that the L494 part of this forum is one of the most negative i've encountered albeit with only a limited number of contributors who seem to revel in knocking the product whilst continuing to buy it.
Tim

I think quite a few RRS2 buyers are people "passing through" the brand. People who have to buy the "right" car all the time. If they come from other brands then they are often disappointed in little niggling things that others do better - seat leather, for example. But these people usually never use the vehicle as anything other than as an expensive 4wd car. Take one places the other brands can't go and you realise that somethings LR do so very well. Sadly, they let themselves down in other areas - especially in the dealer experience.

Having used some of the capability built in to every LR product and having had my fair share of issues, I'm still here because I know how good the product can be if you persevere.

I can see why people are leaving the brand due to issues such as crank shafts, oil dilution etc. I understand why they're disappointed. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #546425 Sun Jan 21 2018 1:22pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

On my 4th Range Rover Sport, having previously owned 4 Disco’s, 1 Freelander, 2 Evokes, and 3 old style Range Rovers between Mrs Jim and myself.

Mrs Jim is swapping to a Volvo XC40 in March. I will certainly be considering my options when I want to replace my current L494.

Why? A combination of poor quality control, a total lack of customer care from Land Rover Customer Relations and ever increasing prices.

Mrs Jim had to reject one of her Evokes due to sub standard paintwork and I had to reject one of my L494’s due to screaming brakes, dissapearing dash and sub standard bodywork. Land Rover themselves didn’t want to know it was only that we used a dealership with an excellent Dealer Principle that we solved our problems. Sadly he has now moved on.

JLR are churning out substandard cars on a daily basis, but whilst folk are blinded by the romantic image of Land Rovers / Range Rovers and they are selling then they won’t give a toss about individuals having problems.

Rant over!

Post #546483 Mon Jan 22 2018 5:21pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

This is my first LR product and it's a 12 year old RRS1 SC which was the best I could afford 18 months ago.

Like you I joined the forum and got quite nervous reading all the reliability posts, actually I still am!!!

But you CANNOT beat the drive of these cars. Everyday I find an excuse to get in it and I've never felt like that about a car after 18 months in my 30 years of driving. I was shocked at how such a big car is so well planted with no body roll and so fast and practical. The level of comfort is second to none.

I guess the fear comes from when they go wrong they are usually very expensive to fix but you should be ok with warranty that comes with yours (me, I have a slush fund I add to each month but haven't needed it so far, touch wood).

I hope you have many years of enjoyment from yours. In my opinion, you definitely made the right choice.

Enjoy! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #546488 Mon Jan 22 2018 7:28pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
its a LandRover thing Laughing well a landrover Owner thing anyway

you love em but sometimes hate em at the same time, they get under you skin and you end up buying another one
look around see what else there is, then decide you still like them or want a newer one
are they worth the £££ probably not but if you want one that's what you pay

like most things in life though, aim to get what you Want and not just something you Need, but still have a moan about it now and again

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #546498 Mon Jan 22 2018 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1