RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 2018 SVR sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

SVR575

United Kingdom 

I,m not sure Jas can wait that long.... Laughing

Mind you i,m the same! Rolling with laughter SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #545792 Sun Jan 14 2018 9:28am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

JPR, thanks. My only concern about the MY18 was that SVO may have done something to mute the sound. So very happy to hear they have not. And it looks like you will be the first here to take delivery of your SVR!! Looking forward to the compulsory posting of pictures, pictures and pictures Smile

SVR575, yes, can't wait. Mine is still on schedule to go to build on 28/01 so hopefully take delivery around mid March.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #545831 Sun Jan 14 2018 1:18pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

The other thing Dynamic mode offers is the ability to select and hold a gear near the rev limit or through a corner for maximum chassis control, rather than it deciding you really ought to be changing up near the limiter which it still will do when just in Sport mode.

For maximum benefit, run it in Sport and select Dynamic; They drift lovely then..... Whistle

Post #545913 Mon Jan 15 2018 8:03am
MrM

Interesting comment DaveW, So Sport>Dynamic vs Drive>Dynamic>Sport ends in a different result?

Post #545916 Mon Jan 15 2018 8:28am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

No, it gets to the same place.

All I meant was that Sport on it's own won't give you absolute control over the shift strategy.

Post #545929 Mon Jan 15 2018 9:52am
andymc

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
Dynamic mode changes the injector overlap too as to allow unburnt fuel to enter the hot exhaust = pops and bangs on the overrun.

Is this how it actually works? I genuinely don't know but I had a feeling it was a little more false on the SVR. I mean it sounds a little too 'high pitched' in comparison to a race car that does the same ... if that makes sense ?! SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #546073 Tue Jan 16 2018 11:08pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Dave will confirm and correct, but I believe normally the injectors are turned off on the overrun, but in Dynamic they remain on (for a short while anyway). So not really a change in overlap per se. 

Post #546079 Wed Jan 17 2018 6:50am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Phil's correct; overrun fuelling remains on the 15MY SVRs; I don't know what the 18MY cars are running because, as noted elsewhere, the new engines run newer calibrations

Post #546085 Wed Jan 17 2018 8:09am
andymc

United Kingdom 

lol - awesome to know that fuel is genuinely poring out the back of the exhaust Wink

I do love the popping and banging. and the kids down my local high street do too Thumbs Up SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #546129 Wed Jan 17 2018 6:34pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

JPR wrote:
The new SVR sounds exactly like the old one.

Are you sure?

I heard the MY18 SVR today and my heart sunk. It sounds nothing like the previous SVR and as per my initial post when hearing the video clip, it sounds more like my L494 5.0L Autobiography.....or perhaps something in between. And it certainly does not crackle and pop like the previous SVR.

I visited the Classic Car Show's press day at the Excel this evening and URBAN had a MY18 SVR - and no, I have absolutely no idea why they were at a classic car show. Regardless, the car was one of the company owners and I asked him about the sound as that is the only outstanding question I have had and he said it does not crackle and pop like the previous SVR. And as it was press day and there were not too many people there, he kindly started it and revved it up for me and that's when my heart sank.

The chap has done several hundred miles in it in the two weeks URBAN have had the car and he told me that they were a bit miffed about the sound until they put the car up on a ramp and found the exhaust's mid box is different to the previous SVRs they have had. I was a bit numbed as the main reason for selling my previous RRS was for the SVR's soundtrack and I think he said it was because of some outlets in the mid section were not there in the MY18. Perhaps somebody here more technically knowledgeable can explain?

My son and daughter were with me and on our way home reminded me that the only main difference (according to URBAN) was the mid section of the exhaust.

I had previously asked a friend who works for LR about the sound of the MY18 SVR but he was not able to find out anything and nor was my dealer either. I am going to my dealer tomorrow to drop of a retention certificate for my registration number and will ask him if he can check with LR / SVO again and if the exhaust is different, can they change the midsection to the previous SVRs.

Last edited by Violetpiano on Fri Feb 16 2018 6:37am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #548782 Thu Feb 15 2018 11:37pm
GregP

Australia 

Hi Jas,
you could check out what they are doing over on rangerovers.net forum (USA based). Their MY18 V8s have just been cleared by EPA for delivery... shouldn't be long before somebody there does a resonator delete in the pursuit of louder/faster/lower/brighter/conspicuouser . MY15.5 SDV6 HSE Dynamic without the H . Yulong White

Post #548786 Fri Feb 16 2018 4:12am
JPR

United Kingdom 

Violetpiano wrote:
JPR wrote:
The new SVR sounds exactly like the old one.

Are you sure?

I heard the MY18 SVR today and my heart sunk. It sounds nothing like the previous SVR and as per my initial post when hearing the video clip, it sounds more like my L494 5.0L Autobiography.....or perhaps something in between. And it certainly does not crackle and pop like the previous SVR.

I visited the Classic Car Show's press day at the Excel this evening and URBAN had a MY18 SVR - and no, I have absolutely no idea why they were at a classic car show. Regardless, the car was one of the company owners and I asked him about the sound as that is the only outstanding question I have had and he said it does not crackle and pop like the previous SVR. And as it was press day and there were not too many people there, he kindly started it and revved it up for me and that's when my heart sank.

The chap has done several hundred miles in it in the two weeks URBAN have had the car and he told me that they were a bit miffed about the sound until they put the car up on a ramp and found the exhaust's mid box is different to the previous SVRs they have had. I was a bit numbed as the main reason for selling my previous RRS was for the SVR's soundtrack and I think he said it was because of some outlets in the mid section were not there in the MY18. Perhaps somebody here more technically knowledgeable can explain?

My son and daughter were with me and on our way home reminded me that the only main difference (according to URBAN) was the mid section of the exhaust.

I had previously asked a friend who works for LR about the sound of the MY18 SVR but he was not able to find out anything and nor was my dealer either. I am going to my dealer tomorrow to drop of a retention certificate for my registration number and will ask him if he can check with LR / SVO again and if the exhaust is different, can they change the midsection to the previous SVRs.

Jas

Let me guess you heard it revving whilst stationery? Have you heard it drive and if so in sport plus and dynamic modes? Thats when the SVR would pop and growl, i don't think you will be disappointed as ive heard it on the move and it sounds the same to my 16 plate one I previously had. Ive seen the Urbans guys corris one and not mega impressed as they are still using the same old bodykit render they used on the 15/16 model years so doesn't do anything for me. Also any new car/exhaust takes more than 1000 miles to run in / bed in, as my current e63s and previous c63s didn't even sound good til at leats 3-4k miles. You cant hammer the car from the off so based on you seeing s car at stand still in normal mode, revving i seriously wouldn't panic at this stage.

ALSO - did he even have the exhaust valves opened? Which is now done on the dynamic screen? Too many variables in the mix to get the sound correct. Current

McLAren 720s
2019 G63 AMG
2018 Bentayga

---------------------------------------------
Previous

2019 AMG GTR
2018 Urban SVR
2018 Urban FFRR
2018 AMG E63s Edition1
2018 SVR Rejected from Stratstone Teesside !
2017 G63 AMG 463 Edition
2017 M3 CP
2017 C63s AMG Edition 1 Motorsport
2016 RRS SVR
2016 Bentley GT Speed 626
2015 Audi RS6
2015 FFRR
2014 Bentley GTC V8
2014 Audi RS7
2011 Lumma CLR GT558
2014 BMW M3 F80
2010 BMW X5
2006 FFRR SC
2005 RRS HSE

Post #548787 Fri Feb 16 2018 7:52am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

God i hope not. But Urban are saying that the exhaust is a bit different so that would change things and they have had lots of SVR,s.

Lets hope JPR is right. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #548790 Fri Feb 16 2018 9:33am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I finally got a reply back from SVO via LR and they said that the MY18 exhaust is exactly the same (Paul, the email I forwarded to you yesterday).

I also went through the product brief that I got my hands on when the MY18 was launched and noticed the following in there.

Unique lightweight exhaust system through silencer optimizations and revised centre brace with exhaust mounted tailpipe finishers
Enhanced powertrain exhaust sound quality with Active Exhaust Control utilises a pulse width modulation signal to control exhaust valves.
−This variable exhaust valve optimises the behaviour to give a more progressive sound character utilising the full range of valve positions available through PWM control.
−This is an improvement over 17MY SVR which has a simple “on-off” function for the active exhaust system there are also unique calibrations for General, Dynamic, and Active Exhaust modes in the vehicle

This change to the mid section (or centre brace) is consistent with what the guys from URBAN told me.

Regardless, I will out on Friday when I collect her.

Post #549576 Sat Feb 24 2018 1:30pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

So the MY18 is anywhere between valve open and valve closed. So will often sound quieter cf the original? 

Post #549583 Sat Feb 24 2018 2:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>