RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR Fuel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

SVR575

United Kingdom 
SVR Fuel

Those of you with the SVR what fuel do you use, normal 95RON or the high octane 98RON. Question
What does LR recommend?
Thanks. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #545796 Sun Jan 14 2018 9:42am

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

95 is fine for a LR, you won’t notice the difference between the two and fuel in this part of the world is good quality and consistent, so save your money

Post #545810 Sun Jan 14 2018 11:01am
Dobby

United Kingdom 

360 wrote:
...you won’t notice the difference between the two and fuel in this part of the world is good quality and consistent, so save your

Ooooh, tin hat on. incoming! I bet this'll shortly be the longest thread here.

IMHO the premium fuels do make a difference. Perhaps not the performance boost you're expecting to feel, but certainly in the fuel efficiency.

I routinely find that with premium petrol and diesel, Shell in particular, give me many more miles per tank. Then at the other end of the scale, cheapo super market fuel is far worse.

Post #545899 Sun Jan 14 2018 10:41pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

As an ex engine development man before I moved to SVO, technically the engines are more than happy running 95RON, but there's definitely a happier engine when filled with 98, especially when driving "enthusiastically" with a lot of boost.

Post #545911 Mon Jan 15 2018 7:57am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies guys, and its really good to have Dave,s expertise on here helping us out. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #545918 Mon Jan 15 2018 9:05am
timhum

United Kingdom 

Dobby wrote:
360 wrote:
...you won’t notice the difference between the two and fuel in this part of the world is good quality and consistent, so save your

Ooooh, tin hat on. incoming! I bet this'll shortly be the longest thread here.

IMHO the premium fuels do make a difference. Perhaps not the performance boost you're expecting to feel, but certainly in the fuel efficiency.

I routinely find that with premium petrol and diesel, Shell in particular, give me many more miles per tank. Then at the other end of the scale, cheapo super market fuel is far worse.

I agree that premium fuels make a difference but only in cars designed to perform at there best on them. For example I had an AM Vantage that would run on 95 but by using electronic trickery, to get the designed performance it needed 98. On the other hand cars designed to run on 95 or the diesel equivalent will gain nothing from moving up a grade. Until recent retirement I was driving in the region of 33k miles per year and put these premium fuels to the test a various cars including LR, Jaguar and VW. Never ever got any measurable improvement in mpg. In fact a recent add on a BP forecourt for premium
fuels stated that you might get 20 miles more per tankful so pretty insignificant. Perhaps they contain more detergent etc and keep the engine cleaner and more efficient but in my case I changed cars at 100k miles and they were all running sweetly.
Tim

Post #545921 Mon Jan 15 2018 9:14am
JPR

United Kingdom 

I use any brand apart from supermarket etc. Mainly shell, wouldnt use anything out of a supermarket as it is trash Current

McLAren 720s
2019 G63 AMG
2018 Bentayga

---------------------------------------------
Previous

2019 AMG GTR
2018 Urban SVR
2018 Urban FFRR
2018 AMG E63s Edition1
2018 SVR Rejected from Stratstone Teesside !
2017 G63 AMG 463 Edition
2017 M3 CP
2017 C63s AMG Edition 1 Motorsport
2016 RRS SVR
2016 Bentley GT Speed 626
2015 Audi RS6
2015 FFRR
2014 Bentley GTC V8
2014 Audi RS7
2011 Lumma CLR GT558
2014 BMW M3 F80
2010 BMW X5
2006 FFRR SC
2005 RRS HSE

Post #545922 Mon Jan 15 2018 9:22am

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

All fuels in the UK are produced to British Standards whether from a supermarket or a brand like shell. The supermarkets buy their fuel from the brands refineries they don’t refine themselves.
The premium fuels might give higher mpg but at what cost per mile ? And is very hard to prove either way.
If your going to track your SVR then when you get to the track buy some 103 race fuel then drive the wheels off it and if you are as skilful behind the wheel like Chris Goodwin you will benefit from the higher octane, if your driving on our roads stick to 95 it’s more than adequate and what these engines were designed to run on

Post #545931 Mon Jan 15 2018 10:17am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Super Plus/Shell V-Power for me all the way and when in Germany, Aral 101 Racing. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #545933 Mon Jan 15 2018 10:37am
wilf

200k miles in JLR V6 diesels in 3 different vehicles - all almost exclusively on supermarket fuel - never a problem.

I spreadsheet every fill, always have, and tried the "super" fuels from each supplier - 3 tankfulls in a row to give them a fair test - they made NO difference whatsoever to economy, nor performance. Excel doesn't lie.

To state that "supermarket fuel is trash" is, to my mind, plain wrong. If you are happy to pay more for the same thing, carry on. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #545943 Mon Jan 15 2018 11:43am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Long ago, when life and cars were much simpler.............there was definitely a notable difference between 2 star and 4 star petrol (and I am sure I remember some 4 star pumps serving up 105 octane).

But back to this century - in 2003, I took delivery of an E46 M3 and did experiment with running regular unleaded and better quality unleaded - both Shell. There was a notable difference and I tried my experiment during the winter and summer and in particular during the summer, my M3 ran much better.

I can't comment if today's engines perform and are just as efficient on regular / higher octane fuel. Since my M3 experiment, I have just stuck to buying the highest rated octane I can find.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #546008 Mon Jan 15 2018 10:43pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

wilf wrote:
200k miles in JLR V6 diesels in 3 different vehicles - all almost exclusively on supermarket fuel - never a problem.

I spreadsheet every fill, always have, and tried the "super" fuels from each supplier - 3 tankfulls in a row to give them a fair test - they made NO difference whatsoever to economy, nor performance. Excel doesn't lie.

To state that "supermarket fuel is trash" is, to my mind, plain wrong. If you are happy to pay more for the same thing, carry on.

Good enough for me in the JLR Diesel Laughing Thumbs Up
The old M5 always gets the good octane stuff in it as I genuinely feel it runs happiest and feels more lively, and she is getting on abit now Very Happy 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #546014 Tue Jan 16 2018 7:31am
GodivaNige

England 

JPR wrote:
I use any brand apart from supermarket etc. Mainly shell, wouldnt use anything out of a supermarket as it is trash

The fuel sold on the supermarket forecourt is exactly the same as that sold by your mainstream brands. It comes from the same refineries, is transported along the same pipelines and is stored in the same tanks at the distribution depots.
The only difference is the additive blends that are mixed with the fuels at the point the tankers are filled before distribution. These are different and are developed by the respective companies but ALL have to legally comply with the relevant minimum standard of quality. Supermarkets buy their additives from the same product developers that supply Esso, Mobil, BP etc. There are no chemical experts within Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s. On occasion, when a new additive has been developed, it is initially distributed with sole rights by that company but does eventually go on open sale as new additives come to market.
There is negligible difference between standard 95 RON purchased at your local Shell and that bought from Morrisons. The same goes for diesel. If you’re willing to pay more for the mainstream brand, it’s for no other reason than you have been drawn in my the marketeers.

The difference between 95 and 98 RON petrol is obvious and some engines are specifically designed to work with the higher octane rating. If an engine has been designed to run on 95 RON, there is no reason to use the higher octane product. There is little to be gained.

(Ex Buncefield sub contractor Wink )

Post #546015 Tue Jan 16 2018 8:01am
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I had a visit to BP Grangemouth refinery in 1997 which supplies all of Scotland and the very North of Englands fuels (or did back then), no matter what fancy badge the fourcourt had it still all was refined at Grangemouth - it was the same BP fuel. Although I had heard all Scotlands fuels came from there, it still tickled me when I saw the tanker fillup area with queues of different brand tankers waiting.

I now fillup wherever and whenever I need fuel - it's the same base product. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #546018 Tue Jan 16 2018 9:35am
andymc

United Kingdom 

My preference is always 98 over 95 and ideally from Shell Smile SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #546064 Tue Jan 16 2018 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>