RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre inflation.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cymruambyth

Wales 
Tyre inflation.

I finally got around to checking tyre pressures after noticing one was noticeably low. After reading a few threads, decided on 37 front and 40 rear. Front drivers was on 26 and the drivers rear was 25. Inflated those 2, then noticed it was taking a while.....I`d flattened the battery Sad Gave it a jump with my old charger and proceeded to do front passenger side with engine running. Then noticed my Michelin compressor was steaming / smoking a bit so abandoned for now and put my ctek on. I`ve had to just connect it to the extension out on the drive....hope it doesn`t rain Laughing

I put fuel in yesterday....God knows why I didn`t do tyres then 🤦 Steve.

Post #545660 Fri Jan 12 2018 3:43pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

How many miles have you done with low tyre pressures as that may have reduced the tyre’s life by a couple of thousand miles...... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #545677 Fri Jan 12 2018 7:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cymruambyth

Wales 

I know, it`s shocking.... Sad I`ve had the car about 3 months so probably done about 1000 miles or so! Steve.

Post #545679 Fri Jan 12 2018 7:08pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Now that's bad luck. I check mine every couple of weeks, probably more habit not much to be gained but a lot to loose - premature tyre wear/fuel consumption etc.... Thumbs Up 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #545680 Fri Jan 12 2018 7:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Steve you need to find one with the optional TPMS which is now a legal requirement on post 2014 cars 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #545682 Fri Jan 12 2018 8:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

You can buy good After market TPMS . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #545703 Fri Jan 12 2018 10:42pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

This company do good systems,but you would have to find somewhere to fit the screen.
https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-...CjEALw_wcB

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #545721 Sat Jan 13 2018 8:05am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Stevepd wrote:
Now that's bad luck. I check mine every couple of weeks, probably more habit not much to be gained but a lot to loose - premature tyre wear/fuel consumption etc.... Thumbs Up

I usually do check tyres regularly Sad Just haven`t bothered for some reason! Steve.

Post #545723 Sat Jan 13 2018 8:16am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Tyrefitter wrote:
This company do good systems,but you would have to find somewhere to fit the screen.
https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-...CjEALw_wcB

Andy.

I fitted one of those systems to my pre-face lift RRS1. Fitted the screen in the centre of the black plastic bezel in front of the instrument cluster virtually touching the clear plastic front of the instrument panel, although not perfect thought it blended in quite well and did not obscure anything and could be quite easily seen from drivers seat. The system it's self worked very well, only thing being the dust cap sensors are quite large and conspicuous.

Current RRS1 has factory TPMS fitted, £400.00 option and it is totally useless, all it does is tell you have a under inflated tyre if the pressure drops below 25psi. at what ever wheel that's it.

Cheers
Col

Post #545724 Sat Jan 13 2018 8:48am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

I just need to get back in the habit of regular checking.....or, whack some nitrogen in, good for around 6 months then Very Happy

Oh and the car started ok this morning after I flattened the battery too Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #545731 Sat Jan 13 2018 9:46am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Why is nitrogen so good at not leaking? Or is it one of those marketing gimmicks to get people to spend money on having their tyres inflated at a tyre place?

The using nitrogen comes from racing. They use dried nitrogen because it gives a consistent response to temperature change and thus consistent grip development for the driver.

Nitrogen from Kwik Fit or where ever is not going to be dry and they probably won't flush the tyre volume properly either so it won't contain pure nitrogen.

Save your money for a decent pressure gauge and pump instead! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #545809 Sun Jan 14 2018 10:54am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

I don`t know the science behind it (I know it`s used in racing and aircraft) but I do know it doesn`t lose pressure like air. I`ve used it in the past, many times and it lasts around 6 months before it starts to drop any pressure. I think it might be because the nitrogen molecules are larger than the oxygen they’ve replaced.

Also, it dissipates slower than air, so say you hit a pot hole, it`s not as harsh as an air filled tyre. I`ve just used it for convenience on cars, no other reason. Steve.

Post #545826 Sun Jan 14 2018 1:09pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

RRSTDV8 wrote:

Save your money for a decent pressure gauge and pump instead! Thumbs Up

Oh and I do have these but they`re no good if I don`t use them Embarassed Laughing Steve.

Post #545827 Sun Jan 14 2018 1:10pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I should get one of those devices Tyrefitter - I am the world's worst at checking pressures regularly Sad Looks good.

I normally run the car (when I check) on the lower settings that the side panel says and the current tyres keep that pressure. However, car was serviced and the mech proudly said that he'd put 40PSI all round. Thought nothing of it until on my towing journey I found the car understeering on even the mildest medium speed corner (traction control kicked in and I backed off, everything ok). So I took them slow and gentle. Forgot I had a pressure gauge onboard and remembered just before I left the ferry. Was able to drop 2 PSI in front o/s in the time I had and it completely cleared up the u/steer! Now the journey is over, will take the time to set them up correctly but...

What pressures should I be using for towing? 500kg trailer & 1000kg load on a 4 wheel trailer...

Post #545855 Sun Jan 14 2018 5:16pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Pufftmw wrote:
What pressures should I be using for towing? 500kg trailer & 1000kg load on a 4 wheel trailer...

Depends on the trailer noseweight more than trailer load. From memory my IFW 3.5t has an empty noseweight of around 75kg, and I try to keep it between that and 100kg (I don't worry too much for mostly short runs that I do). So even with 100kg on the ball then I doubt it'd need much increase, or maybe just a few psi. If using the fixed towbar then it might be higher rated, but I've not yet seen a trailer hitch with more than 150kg limit (they may well exist, just I've never seen one in the UK) 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #545877 Sun Jan 14 2018 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1