RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Range Rover Sport Bonnet Catch or Latch Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Alfa Rover

Canada 
Range Rover Sport Bonnet Catch or Latch Problem

Hello everyone, i would like some help and advice please. My 2006 Range Rover Sport has had a small problem with the bonnet latch for sometime. when i first bought the truck i noticed the bonnet release lever was slack, after the bonnet was open. most other cars that have owned that have had that style of lever sprung back towards the pedals. you could also keep on pulling the release lever and still feel the lever springing back to it's ready position. this is my first Range Rover so i am unsure of the lever action, but it just does not feel right to me. the bonnet also has a problem closing. i have to slam it down a few times in order for it to lock. if it does not lock on the first go, i need to go inside the truck and push the opening lever towards the foot pedals and then back outside to slam the bonnet down again. repeat this step 2-4 times to lock the bonnet.

Ok so i have inspected and lubed up both catches had a look at the cable, all seemed to be fine. i am concerned because i went over a bump the other day and the bonnet opened up.

My questions are can i adjust the catch with the cable connected to it up a few millimeters to help with a more positive locking action? also the other catch which has the cable running through it, is this just a guide catch? Thanks for all your help. Cheers Neil.

Post #545184 Mon Jan 08 2018 3:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In 2006 there was a TSB for the bonnet catches because the one on the right side ( looking at the car) didn’t always latch, not only did Top Gear have the bonnet lift at speed so did I, twice, as did a few others - is there any way that you can check if the Service Bulletin was ever applied to your car? I believe the fix is purely an adjustment but at first Land Rover accused me of not slamming the bonnet hard enough after opening it but when a technical person from Solihull came to my dealer after the 2nd time the bonnet lifted onto the safety catch at speed and they saw just how hard I was dropping it they agreed there was a problem! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #545190 Mon Jan 08 2018 3:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alfa Rover

Canada 

Hello Tim, thanks for your reply. i hate to take it to the main dealer, 2 hours round trip, for something that is hopefully an easy fix. i was hoping that i could loosen the bonnet catch and move it up a wee bit and perhaps have it lock more positively. i was going to play with it but it has been raining quite heavily. i did not want to get wet, guess i am just getting old.
Tim did they end up installing a new latch to fix the problem? thanks for the info on the service bulletin, does not hurt to check. Cheers Neil.

Post #545251 Mon Jan 08 2018 11:02pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Have a look at this, it mat help Thumbs Up

http://www.disco4.com/forum/bonnet-catch-s...nnet+catch

Post #545275 Tue Jan 09 2018 11:02am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Neil, I cannot remember what the dealership did as it was 6 cars ago and 11 years! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #545290 Tue Jan 09 2018 11:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alfa Rover

Canada 

Thanks Guys and Thanks for the link Oldandconfused awesome link to a great post. Cheers Neil.

Post #545311 Tue Jan 09 2018 4:49pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I used to have a D3 and still dip in there, lots of good stuff that's also applicable to the RRS.

Post #545313 Tue Jan 09 2018 4:58pm
Alfa Rover

Canada 

Thanks Oldandconfused , i will be putting a short cut on my desktop ASAP. i completely forgot that a D3 and a RRS share the same platform. many thanks for the info. Cheers Neil.

Post #545362 Tue Jan 09 2018 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1