RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > When does DEF range start to count down?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

riverblanche

United Kingdom 
When does DEF range start to count down?

Hi,
Has anyone noticed when their DEF/Adblue range has started to count down after it has been refilled Question

Ours was topped up when we bought the car and was showing "Refill 18578" we have done just over 1000 miles and it still shows the same figure 18578 ?

I don't mind it lasting but going on some threads for it not lasting between services and it's such a random figure Confused

Gentle B road trips, no short runs, stop start really happens when we stop we are there Laughing Have just used the tintent still not moved.

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #542010 Mon Nov 27 2017 9:16pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
anyone noticed Question

we have only used the car a few times and not much more miles but its still not changed yet still 18578

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #543692 Mon Dec 18 2017 6:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

From reading on this and other forums if would appear that adblu consumption depends hugely on you driving style in Stop/ Start city driving - ie in the conditions when the car might need to regenerate the DPF frequently. I don’t have adblu on my car but then I have also never knowingly experienced a DPF generation as I don’t commute and don’t generally do trips less than 5 miles so the car and DPF are always fully warmed up and operating at their optimal conditions. Most of my trips are 16 miles on fast A roads where I can drive at the speed limit other than when I get stuck behind a tractor or slow truck for a couple of miles. So if you aren’t doing much stop start crawling commuter type driving I would imagine that your car will not consume much Adblu 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543698 Mon Dec 18 2017 8:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

I don't think ad blue has any thing to do with the DPF? my take is it is about breaking down exhaust gases:-

Search Results
Image result for Ad Blue what does it do ?
AdBlue consists of water and a substance called urea (also called carbamide). Urea is an organic compound and it is injected into exhaust gas to reduce the very harmful NOx emissions of the diesel engines. AdBlue is used to meet the Euro5 and Euro6 emission M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #543702 Mon Dec 18 2017 10:08pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
just noticed your new "Signature" Tim Bow down

My DEF range must go down eventually will have to stop watching it, until the next service is due Rolling Eyes

IR don't think we are mixing up DEF and DPF think it is an As well, not the same, Or connected
I don't remember ever noticing a regeneration on any of our other cars, none of which have had DEF

I must be a None pollutant, mechanically sympathetic driver Whistle

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Last edited by riverblanche on Wed Dec 20 2017 6:14pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #543733 Tue Dec 19 2017 6:47pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have just done 5000 miles in my car and today I had a warning come up telling me that the adblue will need to be refilled in 1500 miles.

Surely a tank of this stuff should last longer than this?

Jim

Post #543789 Wed Dec 20 2017 5:16pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Firstly, Adblue usage has nothing to do with your DPF. the DPF is regenerated by additional post injection of diesel to coat the front of the DPF catalyst with hydrocarbons, which cause an exothermic reaction to oxidise the soot accumulation. This happens when exhaust backpressure is sensed to be on the increase. The DPF captures, as the name implies, particulate present in the exhaust, which otherwise has a human health consequence.i

Adblue is used on Euro 6 diesels as a reductant for the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system. That is separate from the DPF, although packaged nearby to manage the temperatures (keep it hot). Adblue is a trade name for what is a urea solution that liberates ammonia on the surface of the SCR cat. This reduces nitric oxide (NO) to nitrogen and oxygen. An unfortunate side-effect is that it can increase the proportion of total NOx emissions which are nitrogen dioxide (NO2).

NO2 is a respiratory irritant, derived from NO, which exists as an engine-out emission, or is formed in the atmosphere after being emitted as NO. This is the reason that the Euro emissions standards exist and the reason why cities are introducing low emissions zones.

Consumption of adblue is governed by the levels of NOx detected pre and post catalyst in the exhaust and also the catalyst bed temperature. If the catalyst is too cool, none will be injected, and NOx emissions will not be controlled. Therefore your total consumption is based upon driving behaviour rather than driving style.

But you can be reassured that high adblue usage also means high NOx control. Thumbs Up

Post #543792 Wed Dec 20 2017 5:37pm
wilf

So what kind of driving uses the most Adblue?

Spirited or tortoise like? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #543795 Wed Dec 20 2017 8:05pm
IRBails

Australia 

As I read it the exhaust temp is the key so what type of driving gives heat ? I am glad I don't have add blue on my V8 diesel. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #543797 Wed Dec 20 2017 9:18pm
Black Bess

Well, Adblue consumption is defined by the twin variables of engine-out NOx production and exhaust temperature. Harder, hotter driving will generally produce more NOx, but equally it will result in higher exhaust temp, which will mean better NOx control (and greater Adblue consumption).

In general terms, driving gently, stopping regularly and avoiding using turbo boost, will maintain a cold exhaust and utilize very little Adblue. It will also mean poor NOx control. Driving hard , or powering up motorway gradients, will result in excellent NOx control (cleaner than when pootling through town) but of course uses some Adblue. If you want to feel good about avoiding high NO2 concentrations in towns and at junctions drive harder!!

A general rule of thumb from the HGV industry is that Adblue dosing occurs at the rate of about 7% of the diesel consumed (although there is no direct relationship). I would expect cars to dose less and therefore have a 'leaner' ratio than that.

I have tested 40 tonne artics (loaded) and seen lower NOx emissions than from a small hatchback. Truly! It is an amazing system.

Post #543807 Thu Dec 21 2017 11:31am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Of course you could reduce Adblu (other brands are available) consumption by buying a petrol or Petrol/Hybrid........... but as we have been told for many many years “Diesels are less polluting and more econmonical.............” until the government listens to the next lot of tree huggers when they will have to tax ZEV’s off the road because of the power station emissions needed to make the electricity........ unless you live in Scotland where most of our electricity is made from Hydro. Nuclear and renewables than it is made from fossil fuels, but we still have to pay high electrity bills like the rest of the UK. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543809 Thu Dec 21 2017 11:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Black Bess

haha, well yes, it is the cost of hydro/nuclear/renewables that is driving up the fuel bills.

And rest assured, the fall in tax income from declining petrol/diesel sales is already being anticipated with designs for 'road user charging' under consideration. This brings about the opportunity to play tunes with not just distance-based charging, but also demand -based, meaning that you pay more according to where, and when you travel. So much to look forward to...

Closer to home, petrols, HEVs and PHEVs use 3-way catalytic convertors which control NOx, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide very nicely (after a 200 second warm-up phase) without need for ammonia dosing. Sadly, they are not suitable for diesel exhausts.

Post #543810 Thu Dec 21 2017 12:05pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
quick update as it has finally decided to count down ..... a bit

Now showing refill in 18267 so it has moved by 311 miles for the last about 1300 miles driven does not seem to use much the way we drive then Rolling Eyes and will certainly last until the next service Laughing Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #544553 Mon Jan 01 2018 9:44pm
Black Bess

Marvellous!!

Post #544566 Tue Jan 02 2018 9:19am
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

I can't comment on the technical bits but mine started to show the warning about adblue at 5000 miles.

Took it to dealers who topped up while I had a cup of coffee. No charge because of Service Plan. Speaking to my contact there, he reckons they're seeing them topped up anytime between 4000 and 8000 miles, a bit earlier the LR originally thought.

Post #544801 Thu Jan 04 2018 4:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1