RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Why can't it be right first time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Why can't it be right first time

So some of you may remember that I was fortunate to get some 19's with winter tyres fitted from Ed (V8EBR). I got them fitted at our local National Tyres place which I've used for some 3 years. They were check balanced prior to fit and all four were balanced and fitted. Today going back to work was the first time I've done over 60 mph since getting them fitted, going up the A303 and it was quickly apparent that they were out (steering wheel wobble & vibrations through the seat), so I went back to them explained the issue so they rechecked the balance and all four required balancing!, with the same technician doing the job. Slightly annoying as technician said no weights had fallen off. Why can't it be done right first time Big Cry .

Now drives as it should.

Moaning over.
Steve 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #544583 Tue Jan 02 2018 1:40pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm suprised you didn't shake him gently by the throat or at least hit him with half a dozen sarcastic comments whilst you were waiting.........or did you Whistle . Bearing in mind it is actually done by a machine and the operator is told what to do and where to do it, on what is a fairly simple and routine part of their job. I'm sure they offered you a gift voucher or bottle of wine by way of an apology for their incompetence Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . Still, alls well that ends well and I'm sure you feel
better for your rant and I don't blame you. Thumbs Up Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #544596 Tue Jan 02 2018 3:59pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a similar experience when I fitted new ZU lightweight alloys and MTR tyres to my Defender............ only it wasn’t out of balance wheels (but it felt like that) that was the problem it was the wheel nuts coming undone.............. fortunately I was off-road when the rear near side wheel overtook the car on a muddy track and fortunate that another driver had not only a power wrench but also a farm jack to lift the rear quarter! No damage to wheel or car but if was a salutary lesson to check that the wheels nuts stay torqued up and tight for the first couple of hundred miles after refitting wheels and I was very glad it happened at 10mph off-road and not at 60 on the main road. I was also told that is why Defenders have 5 wheel nuts per wheel - you can safely take one off each wheel and run on 4 nuts each if you loose the wheelnuts off another wheel in the mud offroad like I did....... the journey back from the off-road weekend was made at relatively slow speed on the open road though and wheel nut torque was checked regularly too. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #544602 Tue Jan 02 2018 4:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If you were getting wobble through the seat then that is the rears that were out of balance,,did they balance them & fit straight to car because I'm thinking if car was there at the garage,then they have just balanced the fronts & then fitted them straight on car & not bothered with rears.I know a lot of garages that don't bother balancing rears,its ok on your grannies fiesta that only goes shopping once a week but not with the bigger wheels we have fitted.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #544603 Tue Jan 02 2018 4:36pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim, I had loose nuts on a rear on the TDV8. Became noticeable during my commute home at dual carriageway speeds. Very unpleasant vibration. Luckily none came undone enough to fall out but three of them were finger loose! Not nice. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #544605 Tue Jan 02 2018 4:41pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Tyrefitter wrote:
If you were getting wobble through the seat then that is the rears that were out of balance,,did they balance them & fit straight to car because I'm thinking if car was there at the garage,then they have just balanced the fronts & then fitted them straight on car & not bothered with rears.I know a lot of garages that don't bother balancing rears,its ok on your grannies fiesta that only goes shopping once a week but not with the bigger wheels we have fitted.

Andy

Yep originally did all four and again today, I watched them do it from the reception area.

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #544615 Tue Jan 02 2018 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1